Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Very discouraging Jake was benched. Makes you wonder if some things happened behind the scenes you don't know about. 

Honestly though, Sutter doesn't look like himself. I would sit him and play Jake. That's not knowing what Green does.

Not a fan of Sutter's at all, I'd even put our 6 million dollar man ahead of him. Sutter has absolutely no chemistry with anybody in this team. At least Ericsson, other than killing penalties, can play up and down the lineup depending on the situation. LE has shown he can play with Beagle and if we are protecting the lead, Green can always trot out the "empty net" line, with him, Pearson and Horvat. Theres pairings on each line that play well together, Petey and JT, Bo and Pearson, Gauds and Rouss, Motte and Beags

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks gave up on Neely...

 

Really hoped we learned our lesson but apparently not...

 

Power forwards take time to develop.

 

#FreeJake 

Neely was traded after 3 seasons. Jake has had 6 seasons under his belt as a Canuck. At some point he's gotta learn but he hasnt

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

18 goals, 36 points and 9 points on the powerplay while anchoring that 2nd PP unit, Jake's takeaway/giveaway ratio was at best...average, there are 8 forwards who have a better ratio than him.  https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/virtaja01.html  Sure was on pace for 20 goals and more than 40 points but im sorry unless he has actually done it, you can't actually use that argument that he may have gotten there statistically.  Its just like when everyone kept saying Baertschi was on pace for 50 + points if he stayed healthy the past few seasons.  But that is besides the point.

 

A stat line doesn't matter if he comes not ready to compete for a spot during camp for the post season.  

 

Considering the constant narrative surrounding him that he comes unprepared or his commitment level to the process of being a professional hockey player is lacking, it was up to him to silence this doubters and questions surrounding him.  He didn't do that.  His actions have consequences and he sits plain as simple.  

 

Don't you think its even more evident that Jake had a poor camp that Sutter, Ferland, MacEwen, Motte etc made the lineup before he did, despite he is the more superior player than them?  In a play in series where it could literally end within a weeks time, Green is going to put the players who are ready to go.  Jake simply wasn't ready to start camp and really didn't give anyone a reason why he should be back in.  

The phrase I bolded over there and many agree, thats what Jake is missing. Whats so frustrating is thats something that he can control. You can't teach his size, his shot, his skating ability, but the one thing that pretty much every player is capable, he lacks. You put Jakes talent with Motte's motor, the guy would be a first liner, border line all-star

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The phrase I bolded over there and many agree, thats what Jake is missing. Whats so frustrating is thats something that he can control. You can't teach his size, his shot, his skating ability, but the one thing that pretty much every player is capable, he lacks. You put Jakes talent with Motte's motor, the guy would be a first liner, border line all-star

Is there another player on the Canucks who can spread the neutral zone like Jake's speed can? IMHO these playoffs are as important to his career as at any time he has played for the Canucks. He needs a new contract and the management has to know whether he can be motivated to excell in these conditions. Green is pushing the kid and hopefully he responds. Over the longer term Sutter and Ericksson do not replace Jake. MacEwan is a nice story but we have to see where that goes. I am confident that Jake will see TOI pretty soon.  

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to think Green is just tired of being Virtanen's baby sitter and or conscience. He tells the team the plan the expectations and relies on their common sense to live an appropriate life and prepare. Then he has to tell Jake in small words all over again. He's not a child, he's one of the adults in the room but doesn't act that way. He may never get it

 

Alex Burrows summarized it when he said, “As for Jake, he’ll get it one day – hopefully sooner than later.” 

Edited by Fred65
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

MacEwan is a nice story but we have to see where that goes.

I'm more interested to see where the already more mature, committed, and professional 19 year old Podkolzin story goes.

 

His coach seems quite happy to play him and he had 2 goals in his scrimmage game a couple days ago.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I’m so glad we have all these insiders to tell us what’s really happening.

Ya, we all know that you are the real insider and that all the coaching staff are wrong and don’t actually know what is going on with their team when they make decisions like sitting Virtanen and playing fringe NHLers in front of him!

 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, warrchief said:

Jake needs to grow up fast or else he's probably gone at least that's what Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor have been saying.

I can't stand Dhaliwal...I feel like his schtick is trying to be the new Don Cherry and he just comes off as belligerent to me.  It's not working.

 

I also realize they're glomming on to this because it's "a story" they can drag around like a kid with a dirty blanket.  I just wish they wouldn't.  We have enough controversy from outside sources and we don't need to fuel this beast.  Sure, it's a "talking point" but he's (didn't hear Taylor's take) making Jake out to be "done".  I hope Jake kills it and makes him eat his words and shuts him up like Burr did with McLean.  I actually had to shut him off the other day....it was too much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I can't stand Dhaliwal...I feel like his schtick is trying to be the new Don Cherry and he just comes off as belligerent to me.  It's not working.

 

I also realize they're glomming on to this because it's "a story" they can drag around like a kid with a dirty blanket.  I just wish they wouldn't.  We have enough controversy from outside sources and we don't need to fuel this beast.  Sure, it's a "talking point" but he's (didn't hear Taylor's take) making Jake out to be "done".  I hope Jake kills it and makes him eat his words and shuts him up like Burr did with McLean.  I actually had to shut him off the other day....it was too much.

Same goes for me with Cybulski. He was saying the olli juolevi experiment is over, time to move on. 

 

Best not to take Vancouver media seriously. I hope the players know that now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Neely was traded after 3 seasons. Jake has had 6 seasons under his belt as a Canuck. At some point he's gotta learn but he hasnt

Neely played 3 seasons with the Canucks, Jake has played parts of 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, warrchief said:

 

 

Yep, that is why everyone is frustrated and literally what the coaches have been telling him for years.  Every single coach, player, and casual observer of the team know the recipe for success for Virtanen.  Play a power forward game, work hard every night, use your size and speed, drive to the net.  He had that stretch in the middle of the season and he was a dominant almost PPG player.  Unfortunately he bookended it with big stretches of casual, lazy play to start and finish the season where he did zero of those things that made him successful and his production and resulting minutes tanked.

"He has all the tools", "he needs to play like a power forward to make it, he won't get there as a finesse and skill player".  "He needs to put his nose down and work extremely hard obviously".  "He has to face the music as to what sort of player he wants to be and take a path from there".  That is the summary from Hansen.

If Hansen had those natural gifts he would have been a superstar.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Neely played 3 seasons with the Canucks, Jake has played parts of 5.

And Kassian played 3 seasons here. We could sure use what he brings now.

 

Sure Kassians situation was a little different, but the point is some players take a little longer to mature and find their game.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And Kassian played 3 seasons here. We could sure use what he brings now.

 

Sure Kassians situation was a little different, but the point is some players take a little longer to mature and find their game.

Well, Kassian had trouble going clean when he was with us and the Canadiens. I am glad he got clean with him going to Edmonton.

Not saying Jake is like Kassian but I really want Jake to succeed, he had the best mentors ever with the Sedins but he still has issues with immaturity and commitment to the game that he needs to work on. I think next season, he'll need to come in the best shape of his life or that's the final straw.

Edited by warrchief
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake was having a great year, 18 goals and counting (good for 4 or 5 more at least). No PP time, hussling, filling his lane, how many times guys tried to hit him and bounced off the big Tuna?

How many checks did he finish where guys looked crushed and took Jake's number?

PKPKPK? Why hasn't he been trained on the PK? Shorties galore I tell ya. He's a big player that garners a lot of attention when he's out there.

We always default to safer pedestrian older guys. Finally Jake gets going and he gets shut down. But no, we want the Lady Byng guy who's good in the locker room. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake sitting out is a great sign for our team. 

 

This is what Benning was alluding to in his introductory press conference.

 

Really good players are going to be fighting to get a spot on the Canucks from now on. 

 

We have built depth in prospects and NHL'ers.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, we all know that you are the real insider and that all the coaching staff are wrong and don’t actually know what is going on with their team when they make decisions like sitting Virtanen and playing fringe NHLers in front of 

Tell me more 

921348.jpg.26e51bfaf57776924a2878398ab4dd01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake was having a great year, 18 goals and counting (good for 4 or 5 more at least). No PP time, hussling, filling his lane, how many times guys tried to hit him and bounced off the big Tuna?

How many checks did he finish where guys looked crushed and took Jake's number?

PKPKPK? Why hasn't he been trained on the PK? Shorties galore I tell ya. He's a big player that garners a lot of attention when he's out there.

We always default to safer pedestrian older guys. Finally Jake gets going and he gets shut down. But no, we want the Lady Byng guy who's good in the locker room. 

It's hard to say, we do know that Horvat yelled at him during practice. It's up to Jake if he wants to take things seriously, gotta show the coaching staff you care. Petey stayed for an extra hour after practice working on his one timer. I think Jake just need to get his fitness to the level that impresses Green.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...