The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

as did Roussel and Motte

Motte had a couple good plays in the dzone. Rooster looked lost a few times but at least he was doing what he's supposed to on our only goal.

But yes, it had to be yet another tough love move from Green. At some point he's gotta take off the leash

• Cheers 1

There was a post earlier this week that I liked. 

It read something like "I'm not concerned about the virtanen scratch. Green knows how to motivate him".

I'm hoping that's all this is.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

There was a lost earlier this week that I liked. 

It read something like "I'm not concerned about the virtanen scratch. Green knows how to motivate him".

I just find it funny the trajectory of Virtanen's career versus fan reaction. Mixed feelings when drafted (eg should've drafted Nylander/Ehlers). Up until recently, many were calling him a bust/dud/waste of a top 10 pick. Recently it was all about trading Jake as he no longer has a fit here, especially with our prospect pipeline and trying to retain Toffoli. After all this dumping on Jake for years and years, now we are hearing the whining about why he's not in the lineup and of course from the usual suspects (possibly some of the same ones that were dumping on Jake prior) are going on about coaching and I'm sure we will hear the Benning side of things soon enough.

In the meantime, Jake's been playing games and has been improving, but certainly not a finished product yet (not in his final form). Jake will be fine. Until we hear trade demands, then the assumption is he understands what's going on and sticking to the development plan.

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

I posted this in the gdt, but probably more relevat here

In Regards to Virtanen, it makes me think of the "relationship advice needed" thread in the off topic forum about a month ago.  The thread creator was lamenting on what to do about a gf who he cared about, but had things he had concerns about.  His course of action was that he was trying to change her behaviour and pesonality and it wasn't working out.  I feel they are doing the same with Jake, they are trying to change who he is as a player instead of letting him be who he is.  You can develop skills and even a work ethic to a degree, but a players personality is who that player is.  He's progressing nicely, putting up better numbers every year and he looks like he'll grow into a solid 25 goal, 50 point player who can hit, skate and steal pucks frm opposing players.  Not every player can fit into the same box, a team is made up of many diffrent personalities.

They either have to stop trying to force Jake into being someone he's not or they have to cut him loose so he can be successful elsewhere.

Feels weird but we agree once again. Torts tried turning the Sedins into 24 minute a game, also Pker's that blocked shots and look how that turned out.

The were worn down by the second half of the season. Virtanen being scratched or given less than 10 minutes a game isn't doing his development many favours.

52 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Feels weird but we agree once again. Torts tried turning the Sedins into 24 minute a game, also Pker's that blocked shots and look how that turned out.

The were worn down by the second half of the season. Virtanen being scratched or given less than 10 minutes a game isn't doing his development many favours.

And yet he's a top 5 winger on this team as you claim. What horrible development.

30 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And yet he's a top 5 winger on this team as you claim. What horrible development.

He's the 5th best winger on the team, it's not even an argument. He's being dogged by the coach given 4rth line duty while putting up second line #'s.

23 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

He's the 5th best winger on the team, it's not even an argument. He's being dogged by the coach given 4rth line duty while putting up second line #'s.

But don't you see that maybe Green is doing something right with his development by getting a player capable of putting up those kinds of numbers in a lesser role (3rd line minutes actually over a season)? It is also beneficial to the team overall to be getting that kind of production outside of the top 6 (secondary scoring). Paint all the negatives you want, but take a step back and look at the bigger picture and you'll see that Virtanen has been improving year after year (offensively and defensively). Is that not development?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

i just hope he gets in one of these games against the Wild. He is built for playoff hockey. He can get in on the forecheck in a hurry and cause d-men to panic and rush them into poor decisions. Plus he can wire a puck and play on our 2nd PP unit.

Keep your head on a swivel Suter and Dumba! His speed and size will at some point play a huge factor in the series against the Wild and he will make his impact, being motivated to show why he belongs on the starting roster!!

Hopefully our bottom 6 lines plays out like this:

Virtanen-Gaudette-Ferland

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

*Take a seat Sutter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2020 at 4:08 AM, Timbermen said:

The Kanes are ABLE to party. It must run in the family. I think Evander Kane got a bum rap in Winnipeg, we all just saw last night how big A$*#oles the Jets can be.

He was holding a stack of cash like a phone in a photo in Vegas he posted. Big deal. Then he wore a track suit to a team meeting when they were told to wear suits. Sounds like they don't get his humour. Whats the big deal? Why would you be required to wear a suit at a team meeting? It's not wall street.  

He is a good player that scores lots and fights, he even fought Moonraker (Chara). Don't know what the issues with the Jets exactly were and we'll probably never know, just like with Green And Virtanen.

Kane is a player, who brings an element any NHL team would want. 

Besides the picture made him look like an arrogant d-head, who could easily alienate him from the local hard working fans, there was nothing wrong with the picture.

However wearing a tracksuit to a team meeting after being told to wear a suit, not smart.... might as well had gone around with a sign post saying F You to the management.

Doesn't matter if it is a sports franchise or Wall street... 

The management obviously has to have some sort over control over the players. Next thing will be the players turning on the ghetto blaster, whenever the coach says something  they don't like to hear.

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Is there another player on the Canucks who can spread the neutral zone like Jake's speed can? IMHO these playoffs are as important to his career as at any time he has played for the Canucks. He needs a new contract and the management has to know whether he can be motivated to excell in these conditions. Green is pushing the kid and hopefully he responds. Over the longer term Sutter and Ericksson do not replace Jake. MacEwan is a nice story but we have to see where that goes. I am confident that Jake will see TOI pretty soon.  

Yup, like you said, the playoffs are gonna determine whether Jake is going to be a part of this team or not. He's got Podz, Lind, Hogs, McEwen, knocking on the door to take his spot. Green has worked with him extensively here and in Utica, he's been here for 6 seasons. At some point waiting for potential is a bit tiring. Maybe Jake should just remake himself to be just a grinder to keep himself in the league

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Timbermen said:

This team is about winning, not babysitting Jake. He looks good in 2-3 games and is flat out invisible in the next 10. He's too inconsistent. He's had 6 seasons here, and I don't feel the team is willing to wait another 1-2 years and hoping to see him fullfill his "potential"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm more interested to see where the already more mature, committed, and professional 19 year old Podkolzin story goes.

His coach seems quite happy to play him and he had 2 goals in his scrimmage game a couple days ago.

Yup. Podz will be breaking down the door when he gets here. I don't know if his production will be good right away, but from what Ive seen, he plays a game that Travis Green absolutely loves

• Vintage 2

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

This team is about winning, not babysitting Jake. He looks good in 2-3 games and is flat out invisible in the next 10. He's too inconsistent. He's had 6 seasons here, and I don't feel the team is willing to wait another 1-2 years and hoping to see him fullfill his "potential"

Give it a rest , man. He was playing Sutter, Schaller and Ericksson ahead of him all year. Looijng invisible for 10 game sis utter BS, those are the game Green would only give him 5 minutes a game. How many times has Sutter, Schaller and Ericlsson looked invisible this year. Even Boeser had long stretches of inconsistency.

Green refuses to define Virtanen's role. The guy juggles the lines so much, one day Schaller's a 4rth line bum that couldn't even crack LA's lineup, the next day Green has him on the second line.

Honestly, who do think is the better player, Goldobin or Schaller. Schaller was supposed to be tough, couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. OK penalty killing, lots of bonehead defensive gaffs that even cost us a couple wins. The kind of defensive errors a 4rth liner that does nothing but throw a couple of hits, doesn't make and stay in the NHL.

There's over half a dozen players Green put ahead that aren't even in the NHL anymore. I call BS on this Virtanen narrative, He'd make any team in the NHL and Green's favourites are lucky to sign in Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

Give it a rest , man. He was playing Sutter, Schaller and Ericksson ahead of him all year. Looijng invisible for 10 game sis utter BS, those are the game Green would only give him 5 minutes a game. How many times has Sutter, Schaller and Ericlsson looked invisible this year. Even Boeser had long stretches of inconsistency.

Green refuses to define Virtanen's role. The guy juggles the lines so much, one day Schaller's a 4rth line bum that couldn't even crack LA's lineup, the next day Green has him on the second line.

Honestly, who do think is the better player, Goldobin or Schaller. Schaller was supposed to be tough, couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. OK penalty killing, lots of bonehead defensive gaffs that even cost us a couple wins. The kind of defensive errors a 4rth liner that does nothing but throw a couple of hits, doesn't make and stay in the NHL.

There's over half a dozen players Green put ahead that aren't even in the NHL anymore. I call BS on this Virtanen narrative, He'd make any team in the NHL and Green's favourites are lucky to sign in Europe.

Give it a rest Man, your sounding like a broken record.

We know you love JV and your opinion shows how much.

Try respecting other fans opinions for what they are

OPINIONS 

GO CANUCKS GO 

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

There was a post earlier this week that I liked. 

Jake's going to be 24 yrs old in just over 2 weeks.

He should, at least, know by now he has to show up to camp in shape and ready to go.

Coaches shouldn't have to kick him in the pants to get him going.

Edited by komodo0921
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

He should, at least, know by now he has to show up to cam in shape

And he has, at both camps this season.

In Sept, he wasn't in the shape that Green hoped for, but it was so close Jake was relegated to the "black aces" for all of one or two practices. Compared to earlier years that was significant progress.

And no one has provided any link to Jake being out of shape for the re start.

• Cheers 1