The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just read a story Nucks will part ways with JV at seasons end.

some more quality asset management by Dim.

better sign some more crappy “veterans” that achieved  less than Jake But get paid way more. Sutter LE Benn it’s to long a list.
the one thing That  Jim is great at is making excuses and idiotic labels for his failures. “foundation” “ age gap”  “wasn’t a deal” 
“veteran leader” 

• Wat 3

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Who wrote it, Dr. Seuss?  Sekeres?

You can't do that...just throw out an "I read" and rip someone apart without quoting or providing a source. 

See above There’s a entire story about this. I couldn’t link it. 

source the internet. 
and tsn radio 

I know neither are reputable since it isn’t a sun shine and lollipop Jim’s the best story. 

Jake Virtanen is set to become a UFA at the end of the playoffs. He has played for the Vancouver Canucks since being drafted in 2014, but it appears the team is not interested in keeping him around.

Virtanen is not living up to the expectations of a 6th overall draft pick. He was having a career high season with 18 goals and 36 points, which is certainly underwhelming. His annual cap hit is currently $1.25 million, but he will be expecting a pay increase on his next contract. It is unclear how much his next contract will be worth, but we know it will not be with the Canucks.

Donandmoj

like I said I get it. This discussion board only accepts Jim praise storys or opinions Anything else and the excuse enablers show up. 

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

That is not a story, it is 6 sentences.

Exactly what I’m talking about.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

12 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Jake Virtanen is set to become a UFA at the end of the playoffs. He has played for the Vancouver Canucks since being drafted in 2014, but it appears the team is not interested in keeping him around.

Virtanen is not living up to the expectations of a 6th overall draft pick. He was having a career high season with 18 goals and 36 points, which is certainly underwhelming. His annual cap hit is currently $1.25 million, but he will be expecting a pay increase on his next contract. It is unclear how much his next contract will be worth, but we know it will not be with the Canucks.

Donandmoj

like I said I get it. This discussion board only accepts Jim praise storys or opinions Anything else and the excuse enablers show up. 

Exactly what I’m talking about.

hesa rfa not a ufa get it straight

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

JV with more points than both LE and Sutter COMBINED and makes 8.5 million less. Yup he’s the problem...LOL. 
1 or more scape goats required to cover the stupid contracts of a short sighted GM. 

Uh, you skipped right over something (conveniently).

There is no problem...this is hockey and decisions have to be made...sometimes tough ones.  No one's "bad" or "good" based on them...just how it is.  You're getting all worked up...might be for nothing.  

Jake is responsible for his fate to some degree.  All in with this crew...how it has to be.  And if this lights a fire under him at the perfect time, it's beneficial to all, including him.

• Cheers 3

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Uh, you skipped right over something (conveniently).

There is no problem...this is hockey and decisions have to be made...sometimes tough ones.  No one's "bad" or "good" based on them...just how it is.  You're getting all worked up...might be for nothing.  

Jake is responsible for his fate to some degree.  All in with this crew...how it has to be.

Its probably best for JV to move on.

but a gm that trades picks like there penny candy can’t keep letting players leave for nothing. 
well unless you believe the  “there wasn’t a deal” excuse we’ve heard so many times in the last 5 years. Funny we didn’t hear other gms use that One annually over the last 40 years. 
It was clear we wouldn’t be able to afford all the pending ufas/RFAs After all the horrible ufa spending sprees Do have a cost. 

Your right thou tough decisions Will be needed in order to cover Up stupid short sighted mistakes that didn’t/don’t require The Hindsight is 20/20 excuse. 

5 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Its probably best for JV to move on.

but a gm that trades picks like there penny candy can’t keep letting players leave for nothing. 
well unless you believe the  “there wasn’t a deal” excuse we’ve heard so many times in the last 5 years. Funny we didn’t hear other gms use that One annually over the last 40 years. 
It was clear we wouldn’t be able to afford all the pending ufas/RFAs After all the horrible ufa spending sprees Do have a cost. 

Your right thou tough decisions Will be needed in order to cover Up stupid short sighted mistakes that didn’t/don’t require The Hindsight is 20/20 excuse. 

You're fueling the fire more than fanning it...which is likely best for Jake to face forward rather than dwell on what was.  "Let It Be".

Short sighted mistakes are just things that happen with every team...hindsight isn't a luxury in real time.  You do what you feel will help in the moment but sometimes long term it hurts.  

Get over it?  It's an exciting time...we're about to start play ins.  Let's cheer for our team rather than rip them apart?  

We didn't hear other GM's say that because, well, we don't listen to them as much.  We don't get all their content...

There wasn't a deal means "one that we wanted to make".  And that's every GM that weighs that out.  There are deals out there....just not all are worth considering.

• Cheers 1

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

"What I did was pull out every single draft pick from 2000-2009 (a 10-year span) based on the round they were selected, and binned the players into two groups: players who managed to log at least 50 career games at the NHL level (a reasonable way to identify players who, at worst, became replacement level NHL talent), and players who managed to log 0-49 NHL games at the NHL level (our way to identify a ‘failed’ draft pick).

How does the data shake out by round?"

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

Edited by gurn

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-nhl-entry-draft-a-historical-analysis/

"

• The 1991-2000 drafts will be broken down into 200 game intervals beginning with 0-199 and maxing out at 1000+.
  • Each chart shows the amount of players that make up each 200 game interval as well as their percentage in each round.
  • Rounds 1-4 are broken down individually over the ten year period.
  • Round 5+ is a collection of all the later rounds over the ten year period.

ngcb10

Jake   279 games, 50 goals 45 assists. A point every 2.9 games, a goal every 5.58 games.

more success than the guy picked just in front of him, and arguably more, or the same at least, as the guy two picks before him.

Biggest hindrance to Jake was being up in the show too soon, however the Hitmen didn't seem to want to trade him, or play him in a spot that would have worked better for him.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Jake   279 games, 50 goals 45 assists. A point every 2.9 games, a goal every 5.58 games.

more success than the guy picked just in front of him, and arguably more, or the same at least, as the guy two picks before him.

Biggest hindrance to Jake was being up in the show too soon, however the Hitmen didn't seem to want to trade him, or play him in a spot that would have worked better for him.

Judging with hindsight, an extra year in the WHL wouldn't have helped much.  He still has a few tendencies left over from junior that doesn't work in the NHL.... like shooting while skating along the wing (only a few elite players can do that regularly), circling back to the red line to receive a turnover instead of coming back to defend, not hustling to the bench for a line change, etc.  

Those are usually "coached away" in the minors or in the NHL.  

JV first year was just him "learning to be a pro" and just playing a more physical 2-way game.... both that he still have trouble with 5+ years after being drafted.  

Virtanen was drafted to be a truculent player... and so far he's not that.  A hit here and there, but far less than what he can physically do.  JV isn't required to put up the offense, since if the Canucks really need more offensive players, they could have easily brought back in Sven Baertschi who is way better.  Jake has something Sven doesn't have.... size, speed, and no history of severe injuries.  As of now, Jake Virtanen just seems to be a speedier version of Taylor Pyatt with a better shot and lesser defensive acumen.  

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

As of now, Jake Virtanen just seems to be a speedier version of Taylor Pyatt with a better shot and lesser defensive acumen.  

Difference is that when Jake has decided to, he has made a real impact to games. We have seen flashes of very good hockey from Jake. We never saw that from Taylor.

So, perhaps similar in that they both had really high potential and never met it, but different in the fact that Taylor simply didn't have the skillset required. And the jury is still out on Jake. I believe he DOES make an NHL career for himself.

Edited by kloubek

Love the conversation in here. :lol:

Tired Fat Cat GIF by Boomerang Official

I think we may actually see Pearson on our 3rd line if we go deep at some point.

I'm curious how we would look if we shifted him down that would give us a PK'er potentially in our bottom 6 (if he's any good at the pk). I hate having top 6 guys doing pk duties. Makes it so you can't put them out there right after a PK to generate offence and momentum. 

Edited by Rush17