The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

What I loved about Jake's game last night was that when he made a mistake he would work extra hard right away or on the next shift to make up for it.  I'd love to see him throw his weight around a little more than he did, but he was flying last night.  If he can keep this up it's hard to imagine him sitting as a healthy scratch again.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

What I loved about Jake's game last night was that when he made a mistake he would work extra hard right away or on the next shift to make up for it.  I'd love to see him throw his weight around a little more than he did, but he was flying last night.  If he can keep this up it's hard to imagine him sitting as a healthy scratch again.

I agree that his game, attitude, and overall play was great.  In regards to throwing his weight around I think he knows that he needs to let the hits come to him rather than go searching for a big hit as it gets him out of position and unnecessary penalty trouble especially with the way the calls have been thus far. 

If he is scratched next game I might have to boycott watching (JK I could never)

He will play next game. Guaranteed. We are going to need bodies due to recent injuries.

Glad to see Jake play well. I agree he still needs to hit harder or a bit more (if he can without being out of position) but he really helped out there - especially using his speed against the breakaway. Not many of our players would have caught up there. As far as someone claiming this indicates he isn't so bad defensively: Attempting to stop a breakaway is a pretty straightforward action that any NHL player would do if they had the speed. His ability to skate is well known. It's when he has to anticipate the play and be in the right position where he struggles.

I just wish Jake would put in a 100% effort most games. He can so clearly help us when he does.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

What I noticed about Jake's game last night:

1. Jake's speed is still one of his main assets aside from his shot.  The backcheck showed just how fast he can be, even if Eriksson Ek isn't the fleetest of foot.  The common thread for Jake is overall conditioning as he seems to get tired more quickly than other players, but his sheer speed adds a critical element to the Canucks.

2. Just having a bigger body with speed in the line-up made for a noticeable difference in how the bottom 6 faired.

3. Maybe Jake was a bit tentative/thinking too much at the start of the game, but I did notice a bit of discomfort on his part when handling the puck early in the game.  He didn't make any bad decisions with the puck ultimately, but there were a few plays where it looked awkward as you could tell that he was thinking of multiple things at once while handling the puck.  Thankfully it didn't bite the team in the behind as the Wild looked just as confused.

As mentioned by others, with all the injuries already, Jake's presumably going to be in the line-up again tomorrow.  I certainly don't think Jake did anything to warrant taking him out of the line-up and, if anything, adding him back in was a positive.

With all the injuries to wingers, my guess is that MacEwen and Gaudette may draw in on the wing if all the injured players aren't fit to play tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Wow who'd expect that from the worst defensive fwd on the entire team!

:bigblush:

If that clip was a second longer you'd see he gave the puck right back to him.  Good backcheck nonetheless.

I've given Jake a lot of criticism, but he set the tone yesterday with a big fight against Hartman, especially after Hartman;s dirty hit on Petey in game 3.

He is still learning to find his way, but loved how he took it upon himself to answer the call for Petey.  Something we haven't seen enough of from the whole team is respond when liberties were being taken, seems like everyone is starting to answer now.

Started with Miller in game 3, Sutter on Fiala in game 3, and Jake now sees he can too last night.  Proud of the kid.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I've given Jake a lot of criticism, but he set the tone yesterday with a big fight against Hartman, especially after Hartman;s dirty hit on Petey in game 3.

Feels like Jake was cooking something up right after that Hartman hit on Petey. Especially when you consider this sequence at the bench right after.

Nice to see Virtanen take a number and then follow through the next game.

He basically let Petey know he was keeping receipts, and that Hartman would eventually have to pay the price.

Great to see.

• Cheers 4

Jake had a good fight, but so many Canucks fans were salivating at the thought of him finally playing in the play-offs, with the ramped up intensity and all, just waiting for all those big hits he would throw.  Has he thrown a single hit yet?  If so, I don't remember it.  Sutter and others who some CDC posters have been so down on have shown way more intensity than Jake.  I'm sure MacEwen will takes Jake's spot in the lineup when Tofolli gets back, and I'm looking forward to that.  As far as I'm concerned, Jake's new nickname should be the Invisible Man.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I thought Jake was good in the first game when he got in. Then he fought Hartman. The rest of the games he's been largely invisible. He's got speed to be more of a physical force, but its just not his game.

With the state of our backend going forward (age & cap situation) perhaps we look for something along the lines of what Buffalo & Pittsburgh did - Nylander for Jokiharju / Sprong for Pettersson - to add a defenseman.

I would walk away from this dude in the off-season. He clearly has a lot of raw skill but I don't think he's ever going to be the player he was hyped up to be

Trade his rights or do a sign n' trade, but either way, the Canucks do NOT need Virtanen

Such a frustrating player

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

A bit disappointed during the 3rd period when during one shift, instead of making sure the puck is cleared from the zone, he decided to start skating towards the centre ice line waiting for the puck for an offensive chance.  

Instead, the Blues kept the puck in and got a good scoring chance.  

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought Jake was good in the first game when he got in. Then he fought Hartman. The rest of the games he's been largely invisible. He's got speed to be more of a physical force, but its just not his game.

With the state of our backend going forward (age & cap situation) perhaps we look for something along the lines of what Buffalo & Pittsburgh did - Nylander for Jokiharju / Sprong for Pettersson - to add a defenseman.

Some have made it sound like Jake did such a commendable thing by fighting Hartman in that game.  But the Blues were down and almost out in the series at that point in time, and I'm pretty sure that Hartman picked this fight on his first shift in order to try and give his team a lift.  I don't think Jake, out of the blue, became the kind of player who tries to give his team a big lift by taking on one of the other team's toughest players (though I really wish he was).

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

Just as I have stated. Streaky player. Biggest issue is consistency away from the puck. Has the tools to be a fore-checking god and doesn't utilize them as much as he could.

Look at players like Motte and Mac who do more with less going for them. Even Gaudette, who has less than 1/2 of Virtanen's NHL experience and is just as streaky, puts more of a consistent effort despite being more of a raw talent.

Virtanen is gonna have to be able to be more consistent and soon. There's gonna be a lot of talent coming up down the line and Mac's already proving to be a bottom 6 staple.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just as I have stated. Streaky player. Biggest issue is consistency away from the puck. Has the tools to be a fore-checking god and doesn't utilize them as much as he could.

Look at players like Motte and Mac who do more with less going for them. Even Gaudette, who has less than 1/2 of Virtanen's NHL experience and is just as streaky, puts more of a consistent effort despite being more of a raw talent.

Virtanen is gonna have to be able to be more consistent and soon. There's gonna be a lot of talent coming up down the line and Mac's already proving to be a bottom 6 staple.

Jake has to broaden his offer. Better defense might boost his TOI. Green has had him on the 2PP which recognizes his puck retrieval, slapper and wrister. This is the time where he has to show something or his future with the club will become suspect. With his size and speed he can shine. He has time to do that. This is his first playoff experience and he will benefit from it.