The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, goog16 said:

I have a feeling Jake is going to have a great game today!!!

... and yet again Virtanen disappoints someone.

In a game that sorely needed physical pushback, he didn’t show and played a team low 5:35.

MacEwan had more impact in the physical department and Motte was a beast with 19 minutes in a defensive role.

My last hope (and it was a faint one) was that Jake would get engaged in the playoffs and step up his game.  This is the series to do it and he is running out of time to show it.

Unless things change, I just can’t see him on our team next season.

Edited by Provost

He needs to start playing every shift like it's his last and earn the coach's trust back. We really do need his physicality as we move forward. It's crazy how that part of his game is just gone. I mean it's been like that for years now, but that was his bread and butter.

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

In a game that sorely needed physical pushback, he didn’t show and played a team low 5:35.

MacEwan had more impact in the physical department and Motte was a beast with 19 minutes in a defensive role.

My last hope (and it was a faint one) was that Jake would get engaged in the playoffs and step up his game.  This is the series to do it and he is running out of time to show it.

Unless things change, I just can’t see him on our team next season.

To be fair, Jake knocked a blue dman on his ass first shift of the game. He obviously doesn't fit in Greens game plan, and if Green is the coach next year (highly likely) Jake will be playing somewhere else. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

To be fair, Jake knocked a blue dman on his ass first shift of the game. He obviously doesn't fit in Greens game plan, and if Green is the coach next year (highly likely) Jake will be playing somewhere else. 

Its not Green's fault though. He's worked with Jake for a long time. Not his fault that Jake came into both training camps this year below NHL level. I think Green showed his year that when Jake is engaged & playing with consistency he'll be given opportunity. (Had stretches on the 1st line)  

• Upvote 1

I think there's two options if your looking at a trade. 

(1) Target other young players in return like Gillis did with Coho & try to make a deal. Recent comparables would be Sprong for Pettersson, Nylander for Jokiharju, Schmaltz for Strome, exc.  

(2) Try and package him with Eriksson or other bad contracts to clear cap space. 

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think there's two options if your looking at a trade. 

(1) Target other young players in return like Gillis did with Coho & try to make a deal. Recent comparables would be Sprong for Pettersson, Nylander for Jokiharju, Schmaltz for Strome, exc.  

(2) Try and package him with Eriksson or other bad contracts to clear cap space. 

I wonder if Zadorov would be a good target. He's playing on the right side of their 3rd pairing. He is a RFA and has a qualifying offer of 3.2M and they have a RD prospect in Timmins who could make the jump at a cheaper deal. They have to re-sign RFA Graves too, who looks good with Makar, and he's in for a big raise.

Not sure if the Avs need wingers though. They have a bunch of wingers coming off contracts.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Not disappointed,he had a big hit on a Blues defender in front of Binnington, also made a nice pass in front of the net which his line mate could not score on and he didn't hurt the team defensively.

He wasn't lights out like Horvat but he was far from disappointing!!

Edited by goog16
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, goog16 said:

Not disappointed,he had a big hit on a Blues defender in front of Binnington, also made a nice pass in front of the net which his line mate could not score on and he didn't hurt the team defensively.

He wasn't lights out like Horvat but he was far from disappointing!!

Hahaha...

Less than 6 minutes of playing time, zeroes across the board except for 2 minutes for a minor penalty.

I guess if you only expect terrible things, then him being only useless means you aren’t disappointed?

78C392C4-36B5-4FC4-8C20-E7243E14DA3B.jpeg

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder if Zadorov would be a good target. He's playing on the right side of their 3rd pairing. He is a RFA and has a qualifying offer of 3.2M and they have a RD prospect in Timmins who could make the jump at a cheaper deal. They have to re-sign RFA Graves too, who looks good with Makar, and he's in for a big raise.

Not sure if the Avs need wingers though. They have a bunch of wingers coming off contracts.

And the Avs have expansion draft issues protecting him IIRC was well.

That's what we need to look for... Teams with excess D to their protection slots.

Though I'd prefer an Eastern team.

• Upvote 1

So I hear the Canucks drafted this Virtanen kid. Big, gritty, good shot, really fast. I hear he could be a real playoff type player. Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing him play one day.

What?!! 

He's in the lineup now? Weird.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Quite frankly, I've been one of Jake's defenders, but aside from a few bright moments, he's largely disappointed me in these playoffs so far.

I'm the same way. It's so frustrating because he obviously has the talent to be a very good top 6 forward but I think he's just too dumb to realize how talented he really is........

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Colorado has an abundance of riches on the back end.  Makar, Graves, Girard and then they have Byram and Timmins coming up very soon to the big club.  Erik Johnson can still play as well and he is their leader on D.  They are pretty much set for the next decade on the back end.  Zadorov is a luxury to them, they have him on their 3rd pairing and he is an RFA with arbitration rights at a minimum $3.2 million value.  They could look to move him for a similar young player.  

Having said that they are pretty loaded up front as well, especially on right wing so not sure they would want Jake.  Demko could be an option as neither of their 2 goalies is an all star.  They could use a centre so Gaudette could be an option as well.  Zadorov I think is exactly what we are missing on the back end.  If Tryamkin comes next year that will just be a bonus and we could have the Russian twin towers.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colorado has an abundance of riches on the back end.  Makar, Graves, Girard and then they have Byram and Timmins coming up very soon to the big club.  Erik Johnson can still play as well and he is their leader on D.  They are pretty much set for the next decade on the back end.  Zadorov is a luxury to them, they have him on their 3rd pairing and he is an RFA with arbitration rights at a minimum $3.2 million value.  They could look to move him for a similar young player.  

Having said that they are pretty loaded up front as well, especially on right wing so not sure they would want Jake.  Demko could be an option as neither of their 2 goalies is an all star.  They could use a centre so Gaudette could be an option as well.  Zadorov I think is exactly what we are missing on the back end.  If Tryamkin comes next year that will just be a bonus and we could have the Russian twin towers.  

Gaudette isn't really a center and they don't need one since Compher, Kadri and Mack/Landeskog make up their top 3 Cs. Demko doesn't have much value to them since they have Annunen for the future. Grubauer and Francouz don't need to be replaced, they are playing very well.

They aren't afraid of playing people on their off-wing and several wingers already are. Nichushkin and Burakovsky are both lefties that are playing the RW right now, they can play both sides.  They have a need of a top 6 winger and top 9. Some people expect them to go for Toffoli for the top 6, who they were heavily rumored to be interested in during the season.

Overall Virtanen would be a nice add for them. A top 9 winger in their age group.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Gaudette isn't really a center and they don't need one since Compher, Kadri and Mack/Landeskog make up their top 3 Cs. Demko doesn't have much value to them since they have Annunen for the future. Grubauer and Francouz don't need to be replaced, they are playing very well.

They aren't afraid of playing people on their off-wing and several wingers already are. Nichushkin and Burakovsky are both lefties that are playing the RW right now, they can play both sides.  They have a need of a top 6 winger and top 9. Some people expect them to go for Toffoli for the top 6, who they were heavily rumored to be interested in during the season.

Overall Virtanen would be a nice add for them. A top 9 winger in their age group.

Good points.  Yeah Gaudette will probably need to be moved to wing.  If so then that will present even a bigger logjam for us on the right side.  Hey, if Colorado would trade us Zadorov for Virtanen and maybe an add on I would do it in a heartbeat really.  I'd pair Zadorov with either Rathbone or Juolevi.  If Tryamkin comes I'd put them both together and let the ice tilt...