The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 9/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, aGENT said:

If Virtanen played with half Motte's battle level, consistently, he'd be in the top 6 already.

He has all the tools, he's shown flashes of the ability. All he's lacking is the will, commitment and drive to do it consistently.

Did you know that, in these playoffs. Motte touching the puck, other than his goals, resulted in a turnover.

Motte has a leash far longer than Virtanen

Ok I guess I’m not allowed to say bad things about people, my whole gripe is against any player who has the blessing to play in the nhl and has the skill set but refuses to put in the necessary work. Virtanen is a bust let him go, it may come back to bite Vancouver but he is probably never gonna be what was expected. Sure sign him to 2 years @1.5 mil or whatever but a big contract will more than likely be a disaster, I say part ways and get what u can

54 minutes ago, Thirston said:

I’d take a Rick rippen type any day over JV, has obviously far less skill but a heart 10x the size (no offence to blending hearts and no offence to Jake lol) we need players who give 100% every game 

I know you're speaking in accordance with the sentiment of the moment, but that's just crazy talk.
He's one waiving (hello Michael Grabner) or motivational whipping away from potentially becoming at least a complementary top-6/ top-9 guy, since he just needs a fire lit under him.  There is reason why he was picked where he was and why he "broke out" this season.  To compare him to a goon (I love Ryp, don't get me wrong) is just crazy.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Them tea leaves sure are getting easy to read...

Either getting packaged for say a D, used to dump someone like Eriksson or to recoup a pick.

Re-sign Leivo for cheap, one year, as a stop gap. Then let the Podkolzin era begin a couple months in.

Do you see Tryamkin back in the mix next season?

I think the most disappointing part of Jake's performance in the playoffs is that he really seemed to be turning a corner during the regular season.  He had a legitimately good regular season and if he actually finished with a 20G 20A season, I think most of us would be thinking that he had finally started to capture the form we have been hoping for.  Jake was even playing reasonably well at both ends of the rink.

Jake had a few good moments in the playoffs and maybe that will help him as management decides what to do this offseason.  Throwing in arbitration rights for Jake this summer however and GM JB's comments, it definitely feels like the team might be ready to move on from Jake.  There's a good chance of that even if Jake accepts his QO.  I can't see them not at least qualifying Jake so I'm expecting him to be traded this summer.

I won't be upset if Jake is retained but I would imagine there are only so many chances he has left to show that he can be a regular contributing member of this team.

If Jake goes to arbitration things could get messy. His QO is no problem but his numbers could put him over 3 mil easily in arbitration which is way too much and also can't be walked away from as I understand it.

IMO it doesn't really make sense for JB to bash him in public to prepare a trade, the only scenario where it does make sense is a quick signing around QO and to light a little fire within him.

19 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I know you're speaking in accordance with the sentiment of the moment, but that's just crazy talk.
He's one waiving (hello Michael Grabner) or motivational whipping away from potentially becoming at least a complementary top-6/ top-9 guy, since he just needs a fire lit under him.  There is reason why he was picked where he was and why he "broke out" this season.  To compare him to a goon (I love Ryp, don't get me wrong) is just crazy.  

I wish that he had a little bit more of a goon in him. Anytime I have seen him fight anybody his size he looks a little bit light in the Bauers …if you get my drift. Frankly Ryp would have whipped him.

I was still for Virtanen before playoffs , but the post-season was an eye opener for me. I thought it would be his jam, but he was generally awful. 
I’m fine with the risk that comes with trading him at this point. But not upset if he sticks for one more attempt as long as it fits economically for us.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mad Jon said:

I wish that he had a little bit more of a goon in him. Anytime I have seen him fight anybody his size he looks a little bit light in the Bauers …if you get my drift. Frankly Ryp would have whipped him.

Ah so you're hoping that he's more of a Tom Wilson than an Alex Tuch?  Demeanor wise I question if Jake's that kind of guy though, and I could see why people compare him with Tuch (big but not the most aggressive but with more speed and good shot; Tuch also only had 8 PIM's all season so he's not a goon by any means despite his size).

Wouldn't a Tuch-esque player be what we should aspire for him to be anyways (creating off the rush)?  The muckers like Roussel are the ones that get their hands dirty and take untimely penalties, though aggression wise I would like to see them rush the net more often since Jake does have the size.  However it might just be that he wants to beat goalies clean and not score dirty goals.

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

I was still for Virtanen before playoffs , but the post-season was an eye opener for me. I thought it would be his jam, but he was generally awful. 
I’m fine with the risk that comes with trading him at this point. But not upset if he sticks for one more attempt as long as it fits economically for us.

I didn't purposely want to quote you but you, among others, are clearly either biased, just hate him, don't watch games or don't see what all the others "so called supporters" see.

Let's start in reverse chronology.

1. In the playoffs, he produced 3 points. He was playing on average 9/10 minutes a game. I think he only played 2-3 shifts with the top line or second line and guess what, they produced. And then he was demoted back again. Besides hitting, if people care about the Corsi statistics, he leads the team in positive corsi (one reason is because he only plays 9/10 minutes a game so it is easier to get a positive corsi). Although he wasn't producing, people are saying he wasn't doing anything else. He finished all his checks (maybe except one or two) and still kept his defensive position and was not out of position and he had a few takeaways that weren't recorded. People then ask why can't he be like Tuch. Tuch plays with decent players or players who know how to utilize his speed (i.e. throw lob passes for him to go chase). In addition, if you follow Tuch, you can see that he is also sometimes inconsistent. For example, his last game against Dallas, he had zero shots and only like 1 hit. Also, if you guys bothered to EVEN listen to the SN650 of Benning's conversation, he said he is disappointed but also he understands its his first playoffs and he is just getting used to it. (Not everyone is named Markstrom/Hughes/Petey/Horvat/Demko). Sorry but BB6 has equally been disappointing.

2. In the regular season, the confusion by him continues as people claim that "he only had 30 good games" where he went on a points/goal tear. Guess what line he was playing on? He was playing on the 1-2 lines. And then after one game of not producing, he gets demoted back on the 3-4 lines and gets off the powerplay. For me, if my coach does that, I will get more frustrated and confused in what is expected of me. In terms of his points production, every year he has been better and better (similar to his junior days). It seems like he is those people who needs time to develop and adapt (some people takes time). As usual, can't compare him with people like Petey/Hughes. And if he wasn't scoring, he was like top 5 on the team for hits and takeaways/giveaways.

3. In terms of training camp, NO ONE SAID HE WAS FAT. He did not meet certain goals. I don't understand how people say he is fat or unfit to NHL standard when he just only missed a few goals. Not meeting a few goals can be (i.e. Green wanted him to be 200 pounds but he comes in at 205 pounds (that is also considered NOT MEETING GOALS)). But all of a sudden he is OUT OF SHAPE and FAT. SMH

In terms of re-signing him, NO ONE SAID they will give him BIG money and LONG term. Although he does have arbitration rights, he and the Canucks can come to an agreement before such arbitration. I say approximately 2 mil for 2 years is about right. 

In terms of commitment, even as a supporter of him, I do agree he sometimes lacks that commitment and heart and doesn't have Motte's or Stetcher's heart. For example, going to a club before entering the bubble was kind of stupid. Ultimately I do feel that he has bad friends influence and is not allowing him to show his true potential thou.

Therefore, for his sake, I won't be surprised if he was signed or traded but for his points and hits hits/takeaways, 2 mil for a middle six player is cheap in today's NHL standards.

Edited by Law of Goalies
  • Cheers 4

I could care less about Jake having a beer in a pub.

Not very happy about him coming to camp fat.... he is no rook now.  knows better...

PISSED off about him not stepping up for playoffs.  Even when guys get low minutes in the playoffs, they have make some kind of an impact in the game.

Even if its just bringing hustle , positivity, heavy hit at the right moment...  a fight at the right time. He needed to make a positive impact. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Ah so you're hoping that he's more of a Tom Wilson than an Alex Tuch?  Demeanor wise I question if Jake's that kind of guy though, and I could see why people compare him with Tuch (big but not the most aggressive but with more speed and good shot; Tuch also only had 8 PIM's all season so he's not a goon by any means despite his size).

Wouldn't a Tuch-esque player be what we should aspire for him to be anyways (creating off the rush)?  The muckers like Roussel are the ones that get their hands dirty and take untimely penalties, though aggression wise I would like to see them rush the net more often since Jake does have the size.  However it might just be that he wants to beat goalies clean and not score dirty goals.

Who cares what he wants. Be a thug…Be a scorer…Just be something…Other than a big kid that doesn’t want to grow up.

53 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

Who cares what he wants. Be a thug…Be a scorer…Just be something…Other than a big kid that doesn’t want to grow up.

Opposite of Burrows...

Burrows told management ... i can be whatever role you want me to be....  and Burrows became that player.   Burrows just wanted to contribute... in ANY role that he was asked to perform in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Opposite of Burrows...

Burrows told management ... i can be whatever role you want me to be....  and Burrows became that player.   Burrows just wanted to contribute... in ANY role that he was asked to perform in.

That's fair enough, but therein lies the problem.  If Jake chooses not to do that here then it's simply not going to happen.