The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So would almost every NHL team. The chance of him needing to sign a contract like that is zero.

Virtanen has more overall production but takes whole games off. Motte doesn't take shifts off, is going full out, all the time.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Virtanen has more overall production but takes whole games off. Motte doesn't take shifts off, is going full out, all the time.

That may be the case, but NHL players get paid, at least in part, for their production. If you choose to believe that a player with Jake's production can be signed for 1.5M, good luck with that. 

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

That may be the case, but NHL players get paid, at least in part, for their production. If you choose to believe that a player with Jake's production can be signed for 1.5M, good luck with that. 

In any other off season, I'd agree with you, but this off season, teams are very conscious of dollars and are very aware that when a playoff series is on the line, its guys who elevate their game (Motte) who turn things around, not players who coast and act disinterested (Jake).

I think if someone had been willing to give us a 2nd round pick in this years draft (approximate 2 - 3 million offer sheet valuation) that he would have been traded.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

In any other off season, I'd agree with you, but this off season, teams are very conscious of dollars and are very aware that when a playoff series is on the line, its guys who elevate their game (Motte) who turn things around, not players who coast and act disinterested (Jake).

I think if someone had been willing to give us a 2nd round pick in this years draft (approximate 2 - 3 million offer sheet valuation) that he would have been traded.

You may be  right VC

Jake was a high 1st round draft pick though, has he fallen off that much that you can not recoup even a 2nd round pick in return, even with years of NHL experience, no one would offer a 2nd round pick?, what kind of player do they expect to get holding onto a 2nd round pick over one who has proven when motivated he can play the NHL game?

• Cheers 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:49 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

If you don't like the determined number, one can just walk away..correct?

At this point, might be better to roll dice on Kole Lind or Bailey...

No you can't walk away from an arbitration award (then what is the point of an arbitration). The only exception is if the award amount is over $4,538,958 

On 10/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, -AJ- said:

I'm not certain on the specific rules, but I doubt you can trade an RFA after he's filed for arbitration and before his arbitration hearing.

He can still be traded.  The hearing would simply be with his new team. 

Interesting note: under the new CBA, apparently once the actual arbitration hearing starts, a deal cannot be struck between the team and player and both sides are forced to look only at the arbitrator's decision. I'm not sure how long hearings usually are though, so I'm not sure how significant that is.

Just means that Virtanen would need a deal before the hearing starts or otherwise only have the arbitrator's choice instead.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting note: under the new CBA, apparently once the actual arbitration hearing starts, a deal cannot be struck between the team and player and both sides are forced to look only at the arbitrator's decision. I'm not sure how long hearings usually are though, so I'm not sure how significant that is.

Just means that Virtanen would need a deal before the hearing starts or otherwise only have the arbitrator's choice instead.

Subban signed his deal after the hearing already took place and before the verdict.  Smith also signed after the hearing with Nashville.  

Both sides get to see the arguments of the other side and can get a better feel of where the award could fall.  It also allows them to sign long term.  The award can only be for 1 year or 2 years.  The team has to decide beforehand but can't buy a UFA year - ie a player 1-year to UFA can only receive a 1-year award.