The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

53 minutes ago, mll said:

Subban signed his deal after the hearing already took place and before the verdict.  Smith also signed after the hearing with Nashville.  

Both sides get to see the arguments of the other side and can get a better feel of where the award could fall.  It also allows them to sign long term.  The award can only be for 1 year or 2 years.  The team has to decide beforehand but can't buy a UFA year - ie a player 1-year to UFA can only receive a 1-year award.

I looked into Cap Friendly and can't find anything supporting my post, which surprises me. I heard that from Shannon (The Hockey Guy) and he referenced Cap Friendly as his source, but I can't find anything about that.

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration

You might be right.

Was the recent CBA agreement to extend the current one with no changes at all? I thought some changes were made, but maybe I'm wrong.

Don't know what leverage he has, he was scoring at a 20 goal pace during the regular season then was invisible with 2 goals 1 assist in 16 playoff games. 

Yes, on the cusp of a breakout, but that bad playoffs IMO means he deserves less. 

Gaudette deserves 1-1.5M, Virtanen deserves 2-2.25M. Both 1-2 yr deals, max.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that arbitration hearing. Jake's going to get ripped into. He should avoid all of that and simply sign a cheaper short term deal now. If I were him, take a 1 year show me deal. He's on the cusp of a bigger role now that Toffoli isn't blocking his way. It's his spot to lose IMO.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that arbitration hearing. Jake's going to get ripped into. He should avoid all of that and simply sign a cheaper short term deal now. If I were him, take a 1 year show me deal. He's on the cusp of a bigger role now that Toffoli isn't blocking his way. It's his spot to lose IMO.

Jake wants the money though, doesn't care what people say

TT was never blocking his way

It was Jakes spot to lose from the beginning and he did lose it

Benning came out in Dec and stated i  wanna get another top 6 forward

Feb BB gets hurt

TT signed, 10 games later season cancelled

Not sure what the plan on Jake is, but i am indifferent either way now , but him getting a long term pricey contract would be upsetting, as i am hoping we have motivated skilled players to replace him that want to improve their game, and not just their wallet

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Completely agree, I thought arbittation would only do him damage. Maybe after the regular season, but that pathetic post season bumps him from a 3M to a 2M tops IMO.

They drafted him for physicality and he didn't even bring that.

No hitting, no defence and 3rd line scoring isn't worth more than 2.5M.

• Cheers 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, -AJ- said:

I looked into Cap Friendly and can't find anything supporting my post, which surprises me. I heard that from Shannon (The Hockey Guy) and he referenced Cap Friendly as his source, but I can't find anything about that.

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration

You might be right.

Was the recent CBA agreement to extend the current one with no changes at all? I thought some changes were made, but maybe I'm wrong.

You are correct - the process has been changed. Once the hearing is underway they can no longer negotiate a contract. 

I was simply reacting to you wondering if that would be significant.  To me it is - Subban / Smith interrupted the hearing process to sign long term contracts rather than get a 1 or 2 year award.  That's no longer an option.

29 minutes ago, mll said:

You are correct - the process has been changed. Once the hearing is underway they can no longer negotiate a contract. 

I was simply reacting to you wondering if that would be significant.  To me it is - Subban / Smith interrupted the hearing process to sign long term contracts rather than get a 1 or 2 year award.  That's no longer an option.

It's probably a non-factor for most situations, yeah. I suspect deals being settled would be before the hearing 95% of the time.

I’ve defended Jake many times preaching patience and predicting that the playoffs will bring out the best of him. Now I don’t give a damn about him. If Vancouver let’s him go as a free agent so be it. Maybe one day he will mature and reach his full potential. I don’t care.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

I’ve defended Jake many times preaching patience and predicting that the playoffs will bring out the best of him. Now I don’t give a damn about him. If Vancouver let’s him go as a free agent so be it. Maybe one day he will mature and reach his full potential. I don’t care.

You know it doesn't work that way as he is a RFA and has arbitration.

You've got to think JB is losing his patience with this kid but to be fair, he did go out and pick him knowing full well that a physical forward would take longer to develop than the skilled guys like Nylander and Ehlers who basically started scoring right away.

Now we're several years down the line, I still think Virtanen is yet to play his best hockey and may really surprise us still in 3-5 years but we need something more positive in terms of work ethic and physicality. 

I've seen Nylander and Ehlers play and hell, fair play to Ehlers who throws his tiny body around more than Virtanen. Nylander doesn't really, he's much more of a perimeter player, but he's almost a point per game.

Those two are entering their prime now which would have coincided nicely with the rest of our young squad whereas I think Jake is still far off. If he can get 20-30 goals then I'd be happy and he may do that this coming season but JB has to practice the patience that he knew he'd have to show when he picked this guy over Nylander.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Dhaliwal is saying that Virtanen's camp wants to do a deal before arb.  Somewhere between $2.5-3.0.

That would certainly make it easier to trade him if there was cost certainty!

Yeah a 2 year deal around 2.5 is what I expect will happen, and that's a compromise everyone should be ok with.

Arbitration hearings rarely end well, more often than not it creates a rift between player and team and few players receiving arbitration awards stay on their team for more than a season or so.