The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't think Myers is a bad mentor for Jake. For a big man, I don't think he's ever had problems being in shape.

As much as I rag on Jake, I *really* hope he turns the page and takes it all seriously. A fit and focused Jake is a difference maker.

• Cheers 2

Lets hope Jake is realizing his potential as players like Miller and other pull him aside and work with him....Big hit in playoffs that knocked wind out of him, all these little things might of hit home with bigJake??? Jake has all the natural talent just has to start with work ethic and discipline and focus, keep in great shape..

Jake should be a top 6 forward producing GP 70 -- G 19- 24 -- PTS 44-48  Playing hard using his speed driving to net, consistent with big hits as he has speed on for check to scare D men....Lets hope Jake has changed still at 24 yrs old Jake can be a game changer if he plays his game...

With Jake working out daily with Myers, and staying focused, I think we're finally going to see the player we were hoping to see all this time. Jake scored 18 goals last year in a shortened season, and when he put in a half-a**ed effort.

I wonder how many he'll score next season playing on Bo's line?  25-30?

Jake had more regular time on the Canucks PP2 unit last year and once they started to produce, I recall Jake accumulating some points with them.  In total, Jake's 36-points consisted of 27 even strength points and 9 powerplay points so, if Jake continues to receive PP2 time and a more prominent offensive role, then I could see his numbers improving next year.

PP1 will presumably remain:

Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson

Miller-Hughes

PP2 will probably be:

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Schmidt

Sutter may figure onto the unit from time to time, but PP2 is mostly the same personnel as last year.  The addition of Schmidt could be huge however.  Edler might even swap out for Juolevi or Rafferty if either of them prove to be more adept as threats on the PP than Edler is at this stage of his career.  Edler is more of a static player on the PP at this point.  Schmidt's mobility could instantly make PP2 much more dangerous than it has before, and that would bode well for all the other players on that unit, including Jake.

Overall, all I want to see from Jake this year is that he's engaged right from cap and at puck drop for every game.  He doesn't always have to score since his skillset includes the ability to hit and otherwise pressure opponents D with his speed and strength.  If Jake is doing that at a good intensity level this season, then I would assume that the points would end up following.

29 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Jake had more regular time on the Canucks PP2 unit last year and once they started to produce, I recall Jake accumulating some points with them.  In total, Jake's 36-points consisted of 27 even strength points and 9 powerplay points so, if Jake continues to receive PP2 time and a more prominent offensive role, then I could see his numbers improving next year.

PP1 will presumably remain:

Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson

Miller-Hughes

PP2 will probably be:

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Edler-Schmidt

Sutter may figure onto the unit from time to time, but PP2 is mostly the same personnel as last year.  The addition of Schmidt could be huge however.  Edler might even swap out for Juolevi or Rafferty if either of them prove to be more adept as threats on the PP than Edler is at this stage of his career.  Edler is more of a static player on the PP at this point.  Schmidt's mobility could instantly make PP2 much more dangerous than it has before, and that would bode well for all the other players on that unit, including Jake.

Overall, all I want to see from Jake this year is that he's engaged right from cap and at puck drop for every game.  He doesn't always have to score since his skillset includes the ability to hit and otherwise pressure opponents D with his speed and strength.  If Jake is doing that at a good intensity level this season, then I would assume that the points would end up following.

Hell, you could even have Miller on PP2 with another d-man on PP1 (Myers, or Edler from your PP2). Or you could have Hughes on PP2 (if both units are struggling or to had legitimacy to the 2nd unit) to run that unit himself. I think Schmidt could be a good option on PP1 if we wanted Hughes on PP2 to spread out the wealth. 

It seems that most teams and I noticed it with the Canucks for sure play their PP1 unit for most of the PP so want to be sure the majority of the high skill is on that unit so it's not wasted.  Rarely they might start PP2 if the skaters from PP1 were just out, or the PP1 unit isn't producing any good looks.  

6 minutes ago, skategal said:

It seems that most teams and I noticed it with the Canucks for sure play their PP1 unit for most of the PP so want to be sure the majority of the high skill is on that unit so it's not wasted.  Rarely they might start PP2 if the skaters from PP1 were just out, or the PP1 unit isn't producing any good looks.  

There was a stretch where pp1 was overhandling the puck wasting 1 min passing around with no shots, then a turn over or clearing. PP2 came on and kept it simple with shots and goals

7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

There was a stretch where pp1 was overhandling the puck wasting 1 min passing around with no shots, then a turn over or clearing. PP2 came on and kept it simple with shots and goals

I noticed that often. 

Pissed away the minutes with PP1 before PP2 would just attack and head straight for the net.

• 3 weeks later...
On November 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM, NUCKER67 said:

With Jake working out daily with Myers, and staying focused, I think we're finally going to see the player we were hoping to see all this time. Jake scored 18 goals last year in a shortened season, and when he put in a half-a**ed effort.

I wonder how many he'll score next season playing on Bo's line?  25-30?

I think the season will be shorter like between 48 - 62 games...

Playing 60 games Jake - G 16 -- PTS  36 ---- On second line with Bo and playing 2nd PP -- Between 15--16 minutes per game

Pettersson - 60 GP -- G 28 --PTS 63

Miller --- GP 60 - G 23 - PTS 58

Horvat  -GP 60 - G 25 -- PTS 53

Boeser GP 60 -- G 22 -  PTS 51

Hughes GP 60 -  G 9 - PTS  50

Schmidt GP 60 - G 8 -PTS  38

Pearson GP 60 - G 15  - PTS  34

I think Zack MacEwen playing 3rd line 13-14 mins -- Gp 60 - G 14 - PTS 26 - Playing with confidence, using his size, big year....

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Nobody to stand up for him when he plays a rough style he’s not a goon type power forward he shouldn’t be expected to fight the tough guys on the other team we need an enforcer to tone down the liberties taken by teams tougher players.

Jake doesn't need another player to stand up for him.  He's a big kid, even if he's not your typical fighter.  He has to stand up for himself.  He's not some prolific scorer that you go out and find some guy to protect him lol.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Nobody to stand up for him when he plays a rough style he’s not a goon type power forward he shouldn’t be expected to fight the tough guys on the other team we need an enforcer to tone down the liberties taken by teams tougher players.

There's some truth in that ...however ... has was quite willing to drop the gloves with that well known pugalist Filip Forsberg and he gave him a whipping. He of course put that fighting aside after he ran in to Healy in NJ. If you want to be a push and shove guy you have to back it up occasionally. However in his defence I don't believe Green wants fighting or penalties. I often thought Green wasted Gudbranson, he could have put a stamp on the club not to mess with Vcr, the ability was there, Green chose not to IMO. It's no good having tough guy if Green has them parked in the middle of the bench ... again IMO

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

53 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There's some truth in that ...however ... has was quite willing to drop the gloves with that well known pugalist Filip Forsberg and he gave him a whipping. He of course put that fighting aside after he ran in to Healy in NJ. If you want to be a push and shove guy you have to back it up occasionally. However in his defence I don't believe Green wants fighting or penalties. I often thought Green wasted Gudbranson, he could have put a stamp on the club not to mess with Vcr, the ability was there, Green chose not to IMO. It's no good having tough guy if Green has them parked in the middle of the bench ... again IMO

Is it fair to guess you are mot one of the younger Canuck / CDC fans?

BTW I dont disagree with the majority of your conclusion.  I think it is very fair to suggest Green is absolutely not trying to develop a reincarnation of the Broad Street Bullies. Or in a more sensitive version of that same message; develop a team to win as did the 2011 Boston Bruins?

I suspect, know in fact, Benning certainly had ''a safe working environment'' as part of his goals when we acquired Gudbrandson.  And Guddy fought Foligno, fought Tom Wilson, famously fought Matt Martin doing what you would expect of him? Beat the living tar, literally broke Hamonics face. As it relates to big Erik, it is my opinion anyway, he was still trying to become a good defenseman  as his key identity? I listened to interviews that said he was willing, got pumped up to fight, sometimes could not even help himself.  I also remember him kicking the crap out of someone from Edmonton who ran & knocked out a Florida player when he was a Panther.  But did not actually like fighting, nor want that to be his identity.

We have to be realistic though?  In this day and age, Gudbrandson nor anyone else is going to deter Marchand from shoving his stick up someone's ass anyway. Its almost moot, dumb to discuss...

• Like 1

As it relates to Jake?

I share the observation he does not hit people as hard as he did as a rookie. As a third year player?  I do not believe he is afraid to fight though. Nor does he need an enforcer to free himself up to return to a harder hitting role.

My opinion is that he got suspended, probably at least one very questionable suspension? Playing a harder game. And became a bit more gun shy to hurt people hitting.  He also had trouble finding a balance between staying in position, and within defensive responsibility as coached by Green when he did so... Gun shy! He became gun shy!

I would love to see him, with his speed, punishing D men & wreaking havoc on the fore check!  As does, with much less pop, Tyler Motte? Jake improved his puck handling and decision making a lot last year.  I think his ''game smarts, hockey IQ?''  Were legitimately questioned.  But did improve. And his ability to play physical, were just as big a hockey IQ issue, as was his play with the puck. He is still not a ''smart'' player. As such he is reigned in?

But he is improving!  I believe we will also see improvement in Jakes physical play as he learns the game. It is a component Green will teach & get out of him eventually. He obviously lets Motte and others, Roussel off the leash...

Green likes a physical game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

As it relates to Jake?

I share the observation he does not hit people as hard as he did as a rookie. As a third year player?  I do not believe he is afraid to fight though. Nor does he need an enforcer to free himself up to return to a harder hitting role.

My opinion is that he got suspended, probably at least one very questionable suspension? Playing a harder game. And became a bit more gun shy to hurt people hitting.  He also had trouble finding a balance between staying in position, and within defensive responsibility as coached by Green when he did so... Gun shy! He became gun shy!

I would love to see him, with his speed, punishing D men & wreaking havoc on the fore check!  As does, with much less pop, Tyler Motte? Jake improved his puck handling and decision making a lot last year.  I think his ''game smarts, hockey IQ?''  Were legitimately questioned.  But did improve. And his ability to play physical, were just as big a hockey IQ issue, as was his play with the puck. He is still not a ''smart'' player. As such he is reigned in?

But he is improving!  I believe we will also see improvement in Jakes physical play as he learns the game. It is a component Green will teach & get out of him eventually. He obviously lets Motte and others, Roussel off the leash...

Green likes a physical game.

Consistency in those regards are key for Jake. He has the tools to be an elite forechecker and a good physical player. You look at a guy like Motte who never takes a shift off and gives 110%. Virtanen has good teammates to learn from in those regards. It may come with time and growing as a complete player. The more this happens the more Greener will probably trust him and we could see prime Virtanen.

• Like 1

I think his decision making will improve this year as he will be in the best shape of his career.  Fatigue doesn't help the thinking process.  His work with Myers this off season is going to give us a much improved Jake.  :towel::canucks::towel:

• 2 weeks later...