The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

31 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I know Jake was working out with Myers in Kelowna for some of this off season but Myers is now in van skating with the a few of the guys... I didn't hear (so far) that Jake is part of that group.  I hope he gets with the boys sooner than later... and has that good influence around him so he's ready to hit the ground running for start of season.  

Make him room with Horvat on the road.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Make him room with Horvat on the road.

The giraffe has become the new dad. 

Also NHLers don't room together anymore according to Demko. I asked him who he roomed with during one of his twitch streams and he said he hasn't roomed with anyone since his AHL days.

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The giraffe has become the new dad. 

Also NHLers don't room together anymore according to Demko. I asked him who he roomed with during one of his twitch streams and he said he hasn't roomed with anyone since his AHL days.

Most likely because he burned most of his ELC in the minors, plus he's a goalie:

It helps that the majority of players now get their own rooms on the road, something that was stipulated in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, players on entry-level contracts still have to share rooms - with Casey DeSmith getting the exception whenever he is starting in goal. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/inside-scoop-on-the-road/c-301027206

Realistically, the team isn't saving that much if it's only guys on ELCs, but I do think it's valuable to help the guys bond as a group.

Edited by King Heffy

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Most likely because he burned most of his ELC in the minors, plus he's a goalie:

Realistically, the team isn't saving that much if it's only guys on ELCs, but I do think it's valuable to help the guys bond as a group.

Bus(When places are close like NY), plane and dinners probably make up for that. A lot of sightseeing they do too when there's time between games.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Bus(When places are close like NY), plane and dinners probably make up for that. A lot of sightseeing they do too when there's time between games.

Indeed.  The rest of that article goes into a little more detail, although it's about Pittsburgh.  Given how frequently gaming platforms were mentioned, I'm kind of glad Bo put a stop to the Fortnite on the road.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, Chicken. said:

Who cares if he has "wasted millions"  - that is his problem - he brings good value to the team for what his contract is worth and that is all we can ask for.

I am not going to fantasize over if he was worth a $5M per season contract.

My only gripe on JV is his engagement and consistency. hopefully he is rounding the bend and increases his value.

Exactly... theres some strange need for fans to fantasize over players making bank on these boards over the last few years.   Likely a trickle effect from listening too much to the fruitloops on 1040 and 650.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard how Jake is doing?  He spent the off season in Kelowna with Tyler Myers working out with him and working on ice as well.  I have heard that there are quite a few guys in the area that are playing Jr. or Pro hockey.  I think this could be the time we see Jake come to camp in the best shape of his career and playing the best hockey of his career.  I think we will see Jake stick in the top 6 and have the consistency we all have wanted to see in his game.  Go Jake Go.  Here's hoping for a new and improved Jake Virtanen.  B)

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, dpn1 said:

Has anyone heard how Jake is doing?  He spent the off season in Kelowna with Tyler Myers working out with him and working on ice as well.  I have heard that there are quite a few guys in the area that are playing Jr. or Pro hockey.  I think this could be the time we see Jake come to camp in the best shape of his career and playing the best hockey of his career.  I think we will see Jake stick in the top 6 and have the consistency we all have wanted to see in his game.  Go Jake Go.  Here's hoping for a new and improved Jake Virtanen.  B)

I figure on 30 shotguns this season! :gocan:

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Dear Gordie I hope so! :towel:

43 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Jakes the roster lynch pin imo - if he shows up in shape, engaged, smarty aggressive it will change how Green assembles the rest of the lineup far more than any other bottom 9 player. I'd love to see a fast, aggressive team from top to bottom. If we can somehow fit both Motte and Hawryluk into the bottom 6 along with Roussel thats an annoying group right there.  

• Cheers 2

I think there's going to be a lot of people with the cowardly "I'm glad he proved me wrong" response instead of just admitting they were wrong about him.

If he stinks, I'll admit I was wrong. I doubt it though. I think he's looking forward to finally being a regular in the top 6 and will step right in and run with it.

• Cheers 2

On 12/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, Hogs & Podz said:

I know Jake was working out with Myers in Kelowna for some of this off season but Myers is now in van skating with the a few of the guys... I didn't hear (so far) that Jake is part of that group.  I hope he gets with the boys sooner than later... and has that good influence around him so he's ready to hit the ground running for start of season.  

I mean maybe he went to visit his family since he might have not seen them for the whole summer (since he training with Myers in Kelowna).

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I think there's going to be a lot of people with the cowardly "I'm glad he proved me wrong" response instead of just admitting they were wrong about him.

If he stinks, I'll admit I was wrong. I doubt it though. I think he's looking forward to finally being a regular in the top 6 and will step right in and run with it.

"I'm glad he proved me wrong" - IS admitting they were wrong lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mozzeye said:

"I'm glad he proved me wrong" - IS admitting they were wrong lol

Sure, but it's a cowardly snivelling weasel way of doing it. It insinuates that they were right until proven wrong where in fact the opinion was wrong to begin with.

• Like 1

Can you imagine  Jake Virtanen in best shape of his life and knew outlook..Lets hope veterans Miller and Myers have Jake on new page..

I am feeling positive about the new Jake Virtanen 6'1 , 212 lbs even faster with  more of a edge playing 15-17 mins per game in top 6..

GP 56 -- G 18 - A 21 == PTS 39 ... New Jake using his speed and size to cause havoc and turning heads...

Exciting  fit 24 year old Jake in new head space using his natural talent.... 

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Sure, but it's a cowardly snivelling weasel way of doing it. It insinuates that they were right until proven wrong where in fact the opinion was wrong to begin with.

I disagree. I think it's a retrospective comment, as to say "I thought I was right, but it's been proven that in fact, I was wrong". Notice the past tense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I disagree. I think it's a retrospective comment, as to say "I thought I was right, but it's been proven that in fact, I was wrong". Notice the past tense.

Some opinions about Jake have been stated as unequivocal outcomes. If they're wrong, they're wrong. It's like saying that 7x7 is 51. And when you find out that the answer is 49 you say' I'm glad that math person proved me wrong."

Why not just own it?  I thought I was right, I was wrong. Notice the past tense.