Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing about being a pro, for most players any way. You look, you learn and you get better. On and off the ice. Your conditioning, your diet, your outlook. I recall Burrows ( who has to be a role model) once saying "Well maybe he'll get it some day" and that was during the summer. I'm glad he's up in Kelowna maybe get away from other influences in his life. He lacks the  drive for a successful businessman or athlete. At 24 many are doing far more demanding careers and expectation than Jake. Seems like Benning has seen enough too, 

Many are sure, but many more are not.

 

Let's not forget that.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, guntrix said:

Tbf, goalies’ career trajectory is a bit different. 

Bertuzzi didn't really establish himself until he was 24 (not saying Jake will be Bertuzzi). Even JT Miller took until he was 26 until breaking out like he did last season and when they asked AV about his progression, he said he "gets it" now. All players develop at different rates. Seems like a ridiculous statement to suggest Jake "wasted millions" as if he intentionally threw away millions. Jake has been progressing in his career and not just offensively, but defensively as well.

 

We hear statements like dmen take longer to develop, power forward take longer to develop, etc. The reality is that all players have different trajectories. Jake might not find that next level until he's moves elsewhere and some players are just like that or maybe if we are patient just long enough, he will breakthrough eventually. Of course he could just be a 30-40 point 3rd liner, and at least he could still make a career out of that.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, theo5789 said:

Bertuzzi didn't really establish himself until he was 24 (not saying Jake will be Bertuzzi). Even JT Miller took until he was 26 until breaking out like he did last season and when they asked AV about his progression, he said he "gets it" now. All players develop at different rates. Seems like a ridiculous statement to suggest Jake "wasted millions" as if he intentionally threw away millions. Jake has been progressing in his career and not just offensively, but defensively as well.

 

We hear statements like dmen take longer to develop, power forward take longer to develop, etc. The reality is that all players have different trajectories. Jake might not find that next level until he's moves elsewhere and some players are just like that or maybe if we are patient just long enough, he will breakthrough eventually. Of course he could just be a 30-40 point 3rd liner, and at least he could still make a career out of that.

That’s great but we were talking about Markstrom. Goalies are definitely a bit different. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, guntrix said:

That’s great but we were talking about Markstrom. Goalies are definitely a bit different. 

Some goalies like Carter Hart/Carey Price/etc jump into the league right away. Some take longer like Markstrom or even say Binnington. The point I was making is that players in all positions have different trajectories where some take off and some don't. To suggest Jake was throwing millions away as if it's intentional and he could flip a switch is no different than saying Marky could've flipped a switch when he was 23 or whatever and just be good instead of "wasting millions". This whole "goalies being different" is no different than statements like dmen take longer to develop, power forwards take longer to develop, etc. It's a generalization that doesn't apply to all.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Some goalies like Carter Hart/Carey Price/etc jump into the league right away. Some take longer like Markstrom or even say Binnington. The point I was making is that players in all positions have different trajectories where some take off and some don't. To suggest Jake was throwing millions away as if it's intentional and he could flip a switch is no different than saying Marky could've flipped a switch when he was 23 or whatever and just be good instead of "wasting millions". This whole "goalies being different" is no different than statements like dmen take longer to develop, power forwards take longer to develop, etc. It's a generalization that doesn't apply to all.

Yes, some players are like Jimmy Carson, looking like superstars at age 20 and pretty much done by 25. But others are like Blake Wheeler or Bertuzzi or the Sedins, looking disappointing at Virtanen's age, blossoming in their mid-twenties and not looking like stars until they are close to 30. Everyone has a different trajectory, and as long as Jake continues to improve each year, which he has, giving up on him would be silly.

  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Jake was working out with Myers in Kelowna for some of this off season but Myers is now in van skating with the a few of the guys... I didn't hear (so far) that Jake is part of that group.  I hope he gets with the boys sooner than later... and has that good influence around him so he's ready to hit the ground running for start of season.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I know Jake was working out with Myers in Kelowna for some of this off season but Myers is now in van skating with the a few of the guys... I didn't hear (so far) that Jake is part of that group.  I hope he gets with the boys sooner than later... and has that good influence around him so he's ready to hit the ground running for start of season.  

Pettersson, Roussel, Holtby, Demko, MacEwen, Edler and Myers were the group that skated together today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I know Jake was working out with Myers in Kelowna for some of this off season but Myers is now in van skating with the a few of the guys... I didn't hear (so far) that Jake is part of that group.  I hope he gets with the boys sooner than later... and has that good influence around him so he's ready to hit the ground running for start of season.  

Make him room with Horvat on the road.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Make him room with Horvat on the road.

The giraffe has become the new dad. 

 

Also NHLers don't room together anymore according to Demko. I asked him who he roomed with during one of his twitch streams and he said he hasn't roomed with anyone since his AHL days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The giraffe has become the new dad. 

 

Also NHLers don't room together anymore according to Demko. I asked him who he roomed with during one of his twitch streams and he said he hasn't roomed with anyone since his AHL days.

Most likely because he burned most of his ELC in the minors, plus he's a goalie:

 

Quote

It helps that the majority of players now get their own rooms on the road, something that was stipulated in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, players on entry-level contracts still have to share rooms - with Casey DeSmith getting the exception whenever he is starting in goal. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/inside-scoop-on-the-road/c-301027206

Realistically, the team isn't saving that much if it's only guys on ELCs, but I do think it's valuable to help the guys bond as a group.

Edited by King Heffy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Most likely because he burned most of his ELC in the minors, plus he's a goalie:

 

Realistically, the team isn't saving that much if it's only guys on ELCs, but I do think it's valuable to help the guys bond as a group.

Bus(When places are close like NY), plane and dinners probably make up for that. A lot of sightseeing they do too when there's time between games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Bus(When places are close like NY), plane and dinners probably make up for that. A lot of sightseeing they do too when there's time between games.

Indeed.  The rest of that article goes into a little more detail, although it's about Pittsburgh.  Given how frequently gaming platforms were mentioned, I'm kind of glad Bo put a stop to the Fortnite on the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 2:26 PM, Chicken. said:

Who cares if he has "wasted millions"  - that is his problem - he brings good value to the team for what his contract is worth and that is all we can ask for.

 

I am not going to fantasize over if he was worth a $5M per season contract.

 

My only gripe on JV is his engagement and consistency. hopefully he is rounding the bend and increases his value.

Exactly... theres some strange need for fans to fantasize over players making bank on these boards over the last few years.   Likely a trickle effect from listening too much to the fruitloops on 1040 and 650.

 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard how Jake is doing?  He spent the off season in Kelowna with Tyler Myers working out with him and working on ice as well.  I have heard that there are quite a few guys in the area that are playing Jr. or Pro hockey.  I think this could be the time we see Jake come to camp in the best shape of his career and playing the best hockey of his career.  I think we will see Jake stick in the top 6 and have the consistency we all have wanted to see in his game.  Go Jake Go.  Here's hoping for a new and improved Jake Virtanen.  B)

  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dpn1 said:

Has anyone heard how Jake is doing?  He spent the off season in Kelowna with Tyler Myers working out with him and working on ice as well.  I have heard that there are quite a few guys in the area that are playing Jr. or Pro hockey.  I think this could be the time we see Jake come to camp in the best shape of his career and playing the best hockey of his career.  I think we will see Jake stick in the top 6 and have the consistency we all have wanted to see in his game.  Go Jake Go.  Here's hoping for a new and improved Jake Virtanen.  B)

I figure on 30 shotguns this season! :gocan:

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...