avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

^^ great Draft (Virtanen) video, and Benning isn't really wrong. Jake scored 18 goals last year and has been getting better every season. I have no issues with him as a player on the ice. Green knows Jake better than anyone in the organization and I'm sure he'll be relying on him.  Whether that's to take a seat and learn/focus, to being ready to be the next man up or on PP#1 or anywhere in between. 

I wonder if there are Eriksson fans out there who are fuming when Loui gets benched? lol  

A Canuck is a Canuck

• Thanks 1

So being mutual friends with the same circle as jake, word is he has asked for a trade.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

So being mutual friends with the same circle as jake, word is he has asked for a trade.  

Word is, rumour and speculation are unhealthy to invest into until we have multiple independent attestations.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I don't think you'll mind anyone taking that with a grain of salt.

10 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If that is true, I could imagine his teammates begging him to stay considering the garbage he gets. They are all probably worried they will get focused on by some of the media and fans. Did you see Pettersson? He hasn't even outscored Gretz yet. Bust!

11 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

If that is true, I could imagine his teammates begging him to stay considering the garbage he gets. They are all probably worried they will get focused on by some of the media and fans. Did you see Pettersson? He hasn't even outscored Gretz yet. Bust!

He’s unhappy with his minutes and where he is placed in the lineups 

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think you'll mind anyone taking that with a grain of salt.

Of course . Just sharing what I know . 

Posted (edited)

I am sure he is. But continually seeing the media and some fans dedication to bashing some players and being hopeful that they fail is draining. 

Edited by FaninMex

I'm not a fan of trading virtanen. I think hes exactly what this team needs. Not everyone is a boy scout. 

That being said, iiiiif the canucks were looking for a trade I'd be looking at someone like Philippe myers on the flyers. 

As I say this he beams one by halak lol.

• Hydration 2

What a strange time to request a trade.  Right at the start of the play-offs, the worst possible time to let management and your teammates know that you want out, and at a time when a trade won't even be possible for the next several months!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not a fan of trading virtanen. I think hes exactly what this team needs. Not everyone is a boy scout. 

That being said, iiiiif the canucks were looking for a trade I'd be looking at someone like Philippe myers on the flyers. 

Yeah idk if we would be able to nab him. He had a promising year.

Might have to consider trading Virtanen to get rid of Eriksson if we do consider to move him.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Sure it is.

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

What a strange time to request a trade.  Right at the start of the play-offs, the worst possible time to let management and your teammates know that you want out, and at a time when a trade won't even be possible for the next several months!

Who said he did? Ohh right, some anonymous poster on cdc.

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I actually very distinctly remember Pyatt taking over and dominating a game to a level Virtanen never has.

Pyatt got a high stick or a punch and he was bleeding from a cut and got angry.  The entire rest of the game it was like Mario Lemieux playing against midget players.  He was literally unstoppable and just bulled through defenders and just kept skating when they were draped all over him.

After the game, the coach said he was planning on punching Pyatt in the nose before every game.

Then the next game he was Taylor Pyatt again.

Jake has not yet reached “peak Pyatt” level production of 23 goals.

Also... remember that time that Jake went after an opposing team's heavyweight enforcer for throwing a hit on one of our star players and stood toe to toe with him?  ... Me either. 

I hope Jake becomes as good as Pyatt one day!

I do remember Pyatt in the series against Dallas.  While it was Linden's show... I did notice that in a tight-checking series, Pyatt was being a physical beast out there.  Finishing every check, pasting guys along the boards every chance he got.  

Could have been a dominant top-6... except he's a slow friendly giant most nights.  

As for Jake.... he's fast and does have an edge, just seems like a deer caught in the headlights at time.  Maybe he doesn't have the processing power to play at an elite game.... but when that's the case, you need to simplify your play style.  If you can't run the team's offense, give the puck to someone who can or dump/chase/bang.  Defensively weak... backcheck as hard as you can, finish every hit when you can, just get in the way of the opposition.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

If he'd just commit and more consistently play the way he can, I'd say the same.

IMO, he needs a change of scenery (aka trade) and to get away from his hometown 'crew' to wake up to how fleeting this can all be. And even then there's no guarantee he actually figures it out. Either way, I don't see him figuring it out here unfortunately.

Part way in to next season we get to add an already more mature and committed Podkolzin who brings a lot of the same tools (minus the elite speed) but with FAR more effort and coach-ability. With guys like Ferland and MacEwan to bridge the gap for him to mature in to that role.

If we can package him for a young D or other assets... 

And it has nothing to do with not being a 'boy scout'. Miller, Roussel etc are not boy scouts. You know what they are though? Committed pros that the coach can put out and 99% of the time knows what to expect from their play.

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I actually very distinctly remember Pyatt taking over and dominating a game to a level Virtanen never has.

Pyatt got a high stick or a punch and he was bleeding from a cut and got angry.  The entire rest of the game it was like Mario Lemieux playing against midget players.  He was literally unstoppable and just bulled through defenders and just kept skating when they were draped all over him.

After the game, the coach said he was planning on punching Pyatt in the nose before every game.

Then the next game he was Taylor Pyatt again.

Jake has not yet reached “peak Pyatt” level production of 23 goals.

Also... remember that time that Jake went after an opposing team's heavyweight enforcer for throwing a hit on one of our star players and stood toe to toe with him?  ... Me either. 

I hope Jake becomes as good as Pyatt one day!

Gagner also scored 8 points in one game. What's your point again?

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think his point is Gagner is the best player the Oilers have ever had. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Well if you could have been bothered to read (which I know is a lot to ask of you)... you would have seen that I was responding directly to a point made (that I also quoted directly for ease of everyone except the laziest and least informed of CDC posters).

They said Pyatt had never taken over a game... and I responded that he did.

I also noted that Pyatt was a decent goal

scorer, and Jake hasn’t reached the same heights yet.

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Sure it is.

Who said he did? Ohh right, some anonymous poster on cdc.

Why is everyone so butt hurt lmao . Take it grain of salt if you want .

• Huggy Bear 1