The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair though. Olli Juolevi has over 700 pages and Quinn Hughes has over 300 pages. Both were drafted at later dates. With Juolevi you could argue it's because he has yet to enter the NHL at all (although he'd probably have a lot more by now if he was), but with Hughes, that's completely the opposite in that he is in the NHL and doing extremely well.

So just because a player has so many pages about him, can't really judge it by that. All that really says is that people like talking about Virtanen, which I think's fine. We have a passionate fanbase. What's wrong with being passionate?

A magnifying glass focused on ONE SINGLE person, like he is an island all by himself. So much attention to one of 23 players on a team. So much expectations and disappointment expressed over one guy. And he isn't even close to the worst on the team.

How is it this much angst can be placed on ONE player that really has nothing to do with the team except to contribute with the rest of his peers. But so much on how he is failing to meet standards. If there is so much passion why is the ONE guy responsible for everything not getting attention?

The media is talking about anything and everything except the elephant in the room. Speculate on Green's contract, Hamonic's effect, Virtanen letting everyone down or how he HAS to become something he may never had been anyway. But the ONE guy gets away with everything and nary a comment. Like this last signing of a 5th round pick to a maximum rookie contract, more than Holander or any other rookie. But what the heck if Virtanen doesn't perform perfectly, if there is a flaw then it is his fault that the team is capped out, right?

Just now, Lazurus said:

A magnifying glass focused on ONE SINGLE person, like he is an island all by himself. So much attention to one of 23 players on a team. So much expectations and disappointment expressed over one guy. And he isn't even close to the worst on the team.

How is it this much angst can be placed on ONE player that really has nothing to do with the team except to contribute with the rest of his peers. But so much on how he is failing to meet standards. If there is so much passion why is the ONE guy responsible for everything not getting attention?

The media is talking about anything and everything except the elephant in the room. Speculate on Green's contract, Hamonic's effect, Virtanen letting everyone down or how he HAS to become something he may never had been anyway. But the ONE guy gets away with everything and nary a comment. Like this last signing of a 5th round pick to a maximum rookie contract, more than Holander or any other rookie. But what the heck if Virtanen doesn't perform perfectly, if there is a flaw then it is his fault that the team is capped out, right?

That magnifying glass is on all of our players dude. We have a passionate fanbase as I've already mentioned. It just happens that Virtanen was drafted 6+ years ago now, took a while to develop and had some issues along the way. It only seems like an island due to the length of time it's been. Give Hughes 4 more years and he'll be up there too.

I think you're overreacting to all of this, but I've read your other posts and also know you generally have an ulterior motive and your own angst against management. Perhaps in 1 more year you'll catch up to Virtanen and have just as many posts of angst. ;)

Just now, The Lock said:

That magnifying glass is on all of our players dude. We have a passionate fanbase as I've already mentioned. It just happens that Virtanen was drafted 6+ years ago now, took a while to develop and had some issues along the way. It only seems like an island due to the length of time it's been. Give Hughes 4 more years and he'll be up there too.

I think you're overreacting to all of this, but I've read your other posts and also know you generally have an ulterior motive and your own angst against management. Perhaps in 1 more year you'll catch up to Virtanen and have just as many posts of angst. ;)

Just wait till we pay Petey/Hughes the big bucks and they have an off game or two.

I reckon some of the reactions will be priceless.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

On everybody, right. What about Pearson? How about Hughes and his being defensive liability? Green knew that, that is why Hughes got reduced icetime in close games the team was winning, just look at the shift charts. Pearson just comes to mind because he and Jake have almost exactly the same stats with Jake getting less icetime, more different line mates and making less money. Pearson doesn't get benched for missing a pass, Jake does.

Of course there is more to my motives, I want the team to win. And it does not or should not take 10 to 12 years. As it is it will be another 4 years before this team is out of the mushy middle, maybe. Last year was a fluke, nothing to try to build a dynasty around.

I am pretty sure that anyone given an unlimited budget of 110+ million dollars per year could do better, just in the FAs or trades.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

On everybody, right. What about Pearson? How about Hughes and his being defensive liability? Green knew that, that is why Hughes got reduced icetime in close games the team was winning, just look at the shift charts. Pearson just comes to mind because he and Jake have almost exactly the same stats with Jake getting less icetime, more different line mates and making less money. Pearson doesn't get benched for missing a pass, Jake does.

Of course there is more to my motives, I want the team to win. And it does not or should not take 10 to 12 years. As it is it will be another 4 years before this team is out of the mushy middle, maybe. Last year was a fluke, nothing to try to build a dynasty around.

I am pretty sure that anyone given an unlimited budget of 110+ million dollars per year could do better, just in the FAs or trades.

None of those players have been around as long as Virtanen has and has nothing to do with Virtanen having 1400 pages. lol You're trying to put pieces together that simply do not fit. If you have to dodge or try and lead the conversation elsewhere by talking about Pearson and Green and how other players are supposedly doing, you're kind of lost the debate at that point since you clearly have nothing for me.

And then there's this whole "last year is a fluke" argument as if that's going to have any merit. I'm not going to debate with someone who's using his own "speculation" as if it's evidence.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

lol bit off topic but why do so many people forget he was picked 6th OA, could be worse we could of drafted Dal Colle if the islanders didnt.

It's debatable that Bennett hasn't been that great at 4th overall either. Last season, Virtanen scored at a higher rate than 18-year old Sam Bennett ever has.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

lol bit off topic but why do so many people forget he was picked 6th OA, could be worse we could of drafted Dal Colle if the islanders didnt.

Could be even worse, could have drafted 4th overall and ended up with 18 year old Sam Bennett.

Edited by N7Nucks

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Could be even worse, could have drafted 4th overall and ended up with 18 year old Sam Bennett.

bennetts still a solid player i'd take him on our team cheap watching him in the playoffs a solid checker ect, dal colle barley has any NHL experience.

Just now, TNucks1 said:

bennetts still a solid player i'd take him on our team cheap watching him in the playoffs a solid checker ect, dal colle barley has any NHL experience.

True, true. Guess I am unreasonably hard on Bennett. 2014 saltiness. But I do appreciate his game. He evolved into a really solid bottom 6er when it looked like he might not even stick at all. Dal Colle, well. Yeah that's ugly.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol

We could have traded down to #25 and got David Pastrnak and a pick or asset too for our 6 pick :P

We had the 24th overall pick that season. Could have just selected Pasta instead of Jared "It is what it is" McCann. But I guess doubling down on RWers in the first round wasn't in the cards. But if we are going down that rabbit hole we likely don't get Petey and Hughes. Since people are so sure drafting Tkachuk instead of Juolevi would have cost us Petey.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:32 AM, WeneedLumme said:

You have written some bone headed posts and this one is a classic, with no connection to facts I mean really none. It's about dealing with reality and you do a bad job at that.

Could replace it all with:  "why can't JB predict the future....FAIL".

It's a really simple concept that some can't grasp...you take some risks and there are some unknowns that don't play out exactly as you'd like.  Happens.  It all balances out in the end.  It's a moving target and that's what some ignore.  It's isn't a one and done...it's constantly filling voids and so many moving pieces are part of that.  Injury, illness, the fate of a lottery system and weak vs strong draft years.  Etc.   Sometimes you have to compensate and just do the best thing available in the moment.

As for Jake...I feel like he's seeing it unfold before his eyes in camp.  You can't just relax on "getting there", you have to focus on staying there.  I love that he laid out a big hit and was seemingly really "attentive".  I hope he sticks and proves the doubters wrong.  There's so much there to give up on.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We had the 24th overall pick that season. Could have just selected Pasta instead of Jared "It is what it is" McCann. But I guess doubling down on RWers in the first round wasn't in the cards. But if we are going down that rabbit hole we likely don't get Petey and Hughes. Since people are so sure drafting Tkachuk instead of Juolevi would have cost us Petey.

How one can say that with a lottery system that we would have lost Petey, had we picked Tkachuk ?

We may have instead got the #1 pick with a Tkachuk too, and maybe not even picked EP

With a lottery system anything can happen (Wheel of Fortune)

Anyways, i wasn't going down a rabbit hole and was just being silly

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

How one can say that with a lottery system that we would have lost Petey, had we picked Tkachuk ?

We may have instead got the #1 pick with a Tkachuk too, and maybe not even picked EP

With a lottery system anything can happen (Wheel of Fortune)

Anyways, i wasn't going down a rabbit hole and was just being silly

Going down a rabbit hole is pretty much being silly.