The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think miller is a perfect fit and I would not move him.

I would be interested in Gaudette + Virtanen + Rathbone for Dubois, but I think Columbus wants a 1 for 1, CBJ wants a 1st line center, a rumour out there is Dubois for Monahan

we do not really need a centerman. Nor do I think we really need Dubois

Centers:

Petey

Bo

Gaudette

Beagle

Sutter

That is pretty good depth.

Also Hogz, Podz, Lind, Macewan coming up and we are without JT Miller

virtanen does not have much value right now despite essentially having a 20 goal season last year

16 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

LOL wow go Jake go Once Miller gets back Jake is back to the third line . 

I think so, but it seems him and Petey have a growing admiration/friendship that could turn into nice chemistry.

Ive been dreaming of Virtanen being useful in Boeser’s spot which would in turn help Bo’s line.

Though now that Hoglander came out of nowhere, I guess we’re even better off.

Nice problems to have right now!

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think miller is a perfect fit and I would not move him.

I would be interested in Gaudette + Virtanen + Rathbone for Dubois, but I think Columbus wants a 1 for 1, CBJ wants a 1st line center, a rumour out there is Dubois for Monahan

we do not really need a centerman. Nor do I think we really need Dubois

Centers:

Petey

Bo

Gaudette

Beagle

Sutter

That is pretty good depth.

Also Hogz, Podz, Lind, Macewan coming up and we are without JT Miller

virtanen does not have much value right now despite essentially having a 20 goal season last year

Miller for Dubois yes I would do that in a flash  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Miller for Dubois yes I would do that in a flash  

Miller has been amazing for us... but anyone should do that deal.

Miller had a career year, but they are called career years for a reason... he might not repeat it.

Just the age difference and years of club control seals the deal.  Even if Miller is better now, he won’t be soon... and we only have him under contract for a couple more years after this one.

17 hours ago, Provost said:

As much as I ride Virtanen... he actually played well in a different way than he normally does when he has a good game.

He was just pretty solid, made good defensive plays, and just seemed like he was following the game better.  Maybe some of it is their defensive structure being simpler and easier for him to know where to be.

I don’t remember many games when his play without the puck is how he stood out.

If he can turn into a dependable high end 3rd liner who can just play like that every night while potting in 15-20 goals and 30-40 points a year... that makes a big difference to our fortunes.  Maybe Hoglander taking the top 6 spot could be the best thing to happen to Jake.  It makes it clear he doesn’t have to be a hero and do too much.

Of course I still think he needs to show that over a long stretch of time before people believe he can do that.  

Ok... I can take back my last comment.

He looks completely lost again.  

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

Not doing a good job of seizing the opportunity to prove you can stick in a top 6 role. Confused as to why he’s not resorting to a heavy game and forecheck with his speed to get the pucks to the skilled guys. Just seems lost and probably frustrating his teammates by having offence die on his stick. 

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Roller coaster GIF on GIFER - by Moogujin

Rollercoaster Jake, Roll the dice Jake.

You never know what you're gonna get.

Yep :)

it is kind of stunning how different one guy can be from game to game.  The coaches must get so annoyed.

Like the first game he really looked like he was keeping up with the play mentally.  He was in the right spot for defensive plays.  

The next night he looked like some random guy who had never played a hockey game before.

I wonder if they are going to give someone else a try in that spot.  Baertschi would likely be more effective and if he actually had a good stretch of a  few games you could showcase him for a trade.  Some team is going to realize they need some more secondary offence or that one of their prospects isn’t ready and they need another winger.

8 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Not doing a good job of seizing the opportunity to prove you can stick in a top 6 role.

You are judging that one a two-game sample in a very odd year at best?    Give the guy at least a few more games before you condemn him.    Based upon that two game sample you could draw all sorts of conclusions, good or bad, on almost any player that is not aligned with reality but with Jake people seem to be ready to draw a negative one.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You are judging that one a two-game sample in a very odd year at best?    Give the guy at least a few more games before you condemn him.    Based upon that two game sample you could draw all sorts of conclusions, good or bad, on almost any player that is not aligned with reality but with Jake people seem to be ready to draw a negative one.

This isn’t the first time he’s been given a top 6 spot.

yes he scored 18 last year in a depth role vs weaker d pairings. 

That’s what he is. If he’s on your top 6, you’re not a good team.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

This isn’t the first time he’s been given a top 6 spot.

yes he scored 18 last year in a depth role vs weaker d pairings. 

That’s what he is. If he’s on your top 6, you’re not a good team.

See, any other 3rd or 4th line kid would get "he scored 18 goals with lesser minutes and non-offense oriented linemates/situations" but you talk about weaker d pairings.    He is what he is but the kid keeps having to live up to a different bar it seems.   In today's NHL, 18 goals (projected over 20 over a full season) have you in top six or knocking at the door in terms of production for many, many teams.     There is more than just goals to the equation for sure.    

I personally don't think he is ready for a top line assignment but I also don't think he isn't suited to a top six role in the right situation.   Canucks may or may not be that situation for him but geez the lack of acknowledgment that this kid is a legit NHL player who will have a long career continues to astound me.   It is like this guy ran over dogs for many people here.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

See, any other 3rd or 4th line kid would get "he scored 18 goals with lesser minutes and non-offense oriented linemates/situations" but you talk about weaker d pairings.    He is what he is but the kid keeps having to live up to a different bar it seems.   In today's NHL, 18 goals (projected over 20 over a full season) have you in top six or knocking at the door in terms of production for many, many teams.     There is more than just goals to the equation for sure.    

I personally don't think he is ready for a top line assignment but I also don't think he isn't suited to a top six role in the right situation.   Canucks may or may not be that situation for him but geez the lack of acknowledgment that this kid is a legit NHL player who will have a long career continues to astound me.   It is like this guy ran over dogs for many people here.

If he was 21 or 22, sure 18 goals on the 3rd line is great to project him to be a top 6 forward. 

Hell I'm sure he'll be a top 6 forward and pot 25 goals in the East. But if he ever gets close to that in Vancouver from here on in, man I guess I don't know anything about hockey. 

We've been waiting 6 years for "Playoff Jake". That's the excuse everyone said to be patient with him, and he checked out harder than I thought would have been possible.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

If he was 21 or 22, sure 18 goals on the 3rd line is great to project him to be a top 6 forward. 

Hell I'm sure he'll be a top 6 forward and pot 25 goals in the East. But if he ever gets close to that in Vancouver from here on in, man I guess I don't know anything about hockey. 

We've been waiting 6 years for "Playoff Jake". That's the excuse everyone said to be patient with him, and he checked out harder than I thought would have been possible.

The bar you have is more your problem than the reality of the player.    The Canucks have only had a small playoff sample in that time in what could at best be considered an "odd" scenario.    Anyway, you have written him off so that's fine.    Curious why you would then continue to discuss him?

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It’s been 6 seasons..... He’s a liability on and off the ice. Definitely has lost faith in his coaching staff and teammates. There is no quick conclusions that are being drawn here as I thought he would pull through! #worstcrewever

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

37 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The bar you have is more your problem than the reality of the player.    The Canucks have only had a small playoff sample in that time in what could at best be considered an "odd" scenario.    Anyway, you have written him off so that's fine.    Curious why you would then continue to discuss him?

What bar exactly is that? I've come to terms with the fact that he's not a physical 3rd liner, who's being pushed up a lineup that has Tyler Motte on one our PP units. 

The small sample applies to everyone, lots of players had a great playoffs, lots didn't. Jake didn't. Neither did Myers and Boeser aside from the Minnesota Series. Brock  and Myers have come into this season looking engaged. Has Jake?

I cheer for the crest not the namebar. Didn't realize it was a pre requisite to like every player on the roster? Hell I dunno if it's allowed, but I'm not the biggest fan of having both Beagle and Sutter on the roster either. Although in fairness sake they have been the most consistent line through 2 games. 

I'm discussing him because he's a roster player for the time being, I guess we'll see how that goes though. 

Edited by Zhukini
  • Wat 1

I do think we need to give him time in the season, but I will say if he doesn't seize the opportunity this season, he might need either 1) to be considered as a bottom 6 forward and play as such or 2) he might need a change of scenery and a reality check. I really want to see him do well, but I also understand the question of "how long do we have to wait?" So much potential but he might also need that "hard love" in my opinion.

• Cheers 2