Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

there was reports that the cap was supposed to go up, i forget the number, like 4 million.

 

there could be years the cap could become stagnant and potentially drop. economic meltdown, crazy pr scandals. But you cant predict those things very well.

You would assume that the cap should steadily rise along with inflation

does that seem crazy?.

From ESPN. there are other sources that confirm that revenue was rising until COVID hit.

 

"BOCA RATON, Fla -- The NHL's salary cap is projected to be between $84 million and $88.2 million for the 2020-21 season, an uptick from the current cap of $81.5 million, the league told its general managers at their annual March meetings this week.

The exact figure for next season will be negotiated with the NHL Players' Association. The cap, which is calculated on a percentage of hockey-related league revenue for the previous season, indicates the NHL is steadily growing as it prepares to welcome its 32nd team, Seattle, for the 2021-22 season."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Horvat , Boeser, Edler, Tanev, Barstchi, and other were here longer but didn't get as many pages with as much complaining about his hair cut or uncut finger nails.

Always this stuff about him being a bad defensive player, prove it.

Because there's nothing to really complain about with those players.

Horvat has been training hard every off-season on where he's weakest.... first was skating, then shooting, then passing, etc.  

Boeser became a top-6 the instant he arrived, minimal complaints.

Edler has been a warrior for the Canucks.... we know how good he could be and how he haven't been in that level for many years, but we understand that he's getting older, the supporting cast got weaker and he himself had major back injuries where he mentioned he will never be quite 100%... he gets a pass.

Tanev always played to his strength, defense.  Just his durability was become an issue.... but either than that, no real complaints either.

Baertschi arrived as a top prospect and has done everything the coaching staff has asked of him.  Worked on his 2-way game and has always strived to prove doubters wrong.... just maybe his body can't keep up.  You don't criticize the player's mindset if injuries is the key issue they are facing.

 

Virtanen.... shows up to camp overweight a few times, had to constantly be reminded to "be a pro", makes himself susceptible to "hanger-ons", relatively minimal improvements year after year, poor decision making on the ice, big and fast but doesn't play to his physical gifts, etc.  Jake has used all any goodwill he initially had being a local boy, thus any time now he does something, he's going to be criticized.  He needs to fly straighter than his peers if he wants to be back into many people's good graces.  

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

From ESPN. there are other sources that confirm that revenue was rising until COVID hit.

 

"BOCA RATON, Fla -- The NHL's salary cap is projected to be between $84 million and $88.2 million for the 2020-21 season, an uptick from the current cap of $81.5 million, the league told its general managers at their annual March meetings this week.

The exact figure for next season will be negotiated with the NHL Players' Association. The cap, which is calculated on a percentage of hockey-related league revenue for the previous season, indicates the NHL is steadily growing as it prepares to welcome its 32nd team, Seattle, for the 2021-22 season."

The NHL was also dealing on new broadcast deal in the USA. I suppose that is on hold. Rumour of each team getting $5 million per year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Lazurus said:

A magnifying glass focused on ONE SINGLE person, like he is an island all by himself. So much attention to one of 23 players on a team. So much expectations and disappointment expressed over one guy. And he isn't even close to the worst on the team.

How is it this much angst can be placed on ONE player that really has nothing to do with the team except to contribute with the rest of his peers. But so much on how he is failing to meet standards. If there is so much passion why is the ONE guy responsible for everything not getting attention?

The media is talking about anything and everything except the elephant in the room. Speculate on Green's contract, Hamonic's effect, Virtanen letting everyone down or how he HAS to become something he may never had been anyway. But the ONE guy gets away with everything and nary a comment. Like this last signing of a 5th round pick to a maximum rookie contract, more than Holander or any other rookie. But what the heck if Virtanen doesn't perform perfectly, if there is a flaw then it is his fault that the team is capped out, right?

Jake is fine being a third line right wing goal scorer who can move up with injury's. The problem with Jake is Green, the third line should be   Motte - Gaudette - Virtanen .

Or maybe Bailey - Gaudette - Virtanen . Ether way speed would make that line away more effective . Green has a thing for Virtanen that wants to keep him harnessed .

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Just wait till he gets to to the  playoffs, he will be a whole different guy, OH WAIT, LOL

We have only had a sample size of Virtanen in the playoffs. I would not write him off yet! Lol

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, Lancaster said:

Because there's nothing to really complain about with those players

Much of Jake's problems stem from the expectations and draft position. Few are the times the Canucks have drafted in the top ten and EVERY one of them was a home run before. If Horvat at #9 was that good then and #6 should be better.

It didn't help that the club kept calling him a power forward and a big hitter and when benched it was because he wasn't hitting or doing enough.

If the same scrutiny had been placed on Juloevi, an even higher draft pick, a #5 pick should a star for sure it would be fairer.

OJ gets sympathy because that is what the club tells people, his injuries, not a serious as Edler or Boeser but excuses.

Now that Juloevi is supposed to be on the club will he be subject to the same criticism or will other excuses be made up. Remember Juloevi was the future PP quarterback, the dynamic defenceman ala Hughes is now.

Out of shape at the start of camp? Who cares, they aren't paid to be fitness gods in the off season, the question should be was he ready to play? Other players come into camp with a few extra pounds and are ignored, Horvat, Pearson, Boeser all at one time or another have not been in prime shape the first day with the comments, they will get into game shape, it takes a few days, that is the long way to say out of shape.

People complain about Jake because the club wants it that way, by zeroing on him the rest of the smelly stuff get buried under another "Jake misses check" story, forget that Hughes or Horvat were on the ice for 5 goals against, Jake becomes the main story. They lose by one, and Jake had missed one shot in the third, on his 16th shift of the game, in his 11th minute of icetime playing with anchors, but hey lets crup on him instead.

Those guys making 3+ mil a season need to be held to the same standards, Pearson is worse then Jake and he gets to play full time with one of the best players on the team all the time, why do you think they are so stoked to get a goal scorer on the line, because Pearson can't.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Jake is fine being a third line right wing goal scorer who can move up with injury's. The problem with Jake is Green, the third line should be   Motte - Gaudette - Virtanen .

Or maybe Bailey - Gaudette - Virtanen . Ether way speed would make that line away more effective . Green has a thing for Virtanen that wants to keep him harnessed .

Thats not only a good idea, apparently Green must have read your post.

 

I hope that Jake gets a regular shift out there and if there is a problem they "let him play it out and get his confidence back" that is what they do for most players.

And if there is going to be this intense scrutiny on him, I hope the magnifying glass also goes on the rest of the organization,

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, garthsbutcher said:

Just wait till he gets to to the  playoffs, he will be a whole different guy, OH WAIT, LOL

Yeah cause one playoffs in a weird situation with Covid is a great indicator of how he'll be in the playoffs. Although if we're being honest he's never gonna be a point producer on this team. Or at least with Green as coach. Not taking shots at Green, just saying it's pretty clear how he views Jake. Jake will be a serviceable 3rd liner that can fill top 6 when needed. The fanbase's expectations haven't changed since 2014 sadly. So Jake will always be a loved or hated player.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

BIG Jake Virtanen, 24 yrs old, 6'1, 210 lbs---- Jake is in the right mind with players like Miller and Myers working with him..

Jake will use his speed and size to his advantage and cause havoc and make scoring chances ..

Can't wait to see #18 using speed, big train heading to the net, great shot..

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Petey_BOI said:

Instead of Jake Virtanen and OJ we should have drafted <INSERT BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER HERE> the only reason we Didn't was because Benning Didn't listen to Judd Bracket. What a God Judd Bracket is, Too bad Benning Let the wayne Gretzky of scouts go because of him being a selfish GM in wanting a say in his Draft picks.

Not only is the ridiculous for its ability to be false about the relative roles/insights between Benning and Brackett, it is implying that any GM who in years following any draft didn't pick the better hindsight players was "selfish" or similar.    There is not a SINGLE GM in the NHL who has been in place as long as Benning who hasn't wins and warts in their drafting record but few can match Benning's overall success and, in fact, many see him in top five over his tenure period in this regard.

 

I often wonder how some of you get these fantasy inventions about how this all works.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not only is the ridiculous for its ability to be false about the relative roles/insights between Benning and Brackett, it is implying that any GM who in years following any draft didn't pick the better hindsight players was "selfish" or similar.    There is not a SINGLE GM in the NHL who has been in place as long as Benning who hasn't wins and warts in their drafting record but few can match Benning's overall success and, in fact, many see him in top five over his tenure period in this regard.

 

I often wonder how some of you get these fantasy inventions about how this all works.   

Do me a favor and go flush your toilet. and then report back what it sounds like.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Opening night first line is a good place to start.   

Ya, no pressure here facing McDavid etal. But it is a shot. I just hope they, coaches, don't grind him too much because he won't be the only guy on the ice. He may be the only guy that is faster than McDavid on the Canucks, he did skate away from him 2 years ago for a breakaway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:
20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not only is the ridiculous for its ability to be false about the relative roles/insights between Benning and Brackett, it is implying that any GM who in years following any draft didn't pick the better hindsight players was "selfish" or similar.    There is not a SINGLE GM in the NHL who has been in place as long as Benning who hasn't wins and warts in their drafting record but few can match Benning's overall success and, in fact, many see him in top five over his tenure period in this regard.

 

I often wonder how some of you get these fantasy inventions about how this all works.   

Do me a favor and go flush your toilet. and then report back what it sounds like.

 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I did and heard you scream.

My opinion of Benning is that he is the worst GM Vancouver has ever had and it is backed up by the number of top 10 picks he has had, the shear number of draft picks, the record number of losses and records of most losing seasons, worst trades made, most clause contracts signed and his recent comment that he thinks it will take another 3 to 5 years to get there. ? where? It looks to me like a Colorado type rebuild coming.

 

Hey, one other thing, if the team has less than success, say less than Ottawa and being within 6 points of them should be considered failure. Well he will be on the last year of his contract come June, Green isn't signed and there are quite a few possible GM's out there.

To tell the truth I believe Benning's contract is up this year if ownership doesn't exercise the optional year

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I did and heard you scream.

satire
[ˈsaˌtī(ə)r]
 
NOUN
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
     
     
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...