The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's quite frankly running out of time. Hoglander has already pushed him out of the top 6 (once Miller returns) and depending on how good Podkolzin is, he may find himself under pressure to hold his 3rd line job too.

Obviously, it's up to Jake. It all boils down to how badly he wants it, and is he willing to pay the price? It's still early this season and to be honest, although he hasn't lit it up, it's not as though he isn't an effective NHL player. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

It’s been 6 seasons..... He’s a liability on and off the ice. Definitely has lost faith in his coaching staff and teammates. There is no quick conclusions that are being drawn here as I thought he would pull through! #worstcrewever

Excellent take! Ive had enough of FAKE Virtanen or should we wait for the playoffs where he really shines lol

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

See, any other 3rd or 4th line kid would get "he scored 18 goals with lesser minutes and non-offense oriented linemates/situations" but you talk about weaker d pairings.    He is what he is but the kid keeps having to live up to a different bar it seems.   In today's NHL, 18 goals (projected over 20 over a full season) have you in top six or knocking at the door in terms of production for many, many teams.     There is more than just goals to the equation for sure.    

I personally don't think he is ready for a top line assignment but I also don't think he isn't suited to a top six role in the right situation.   Canucks may or may not be that situation for him but geez the lack of acknowledgment that this kid is a legit NHL player who will have a long career continues to astound me.   It is like this guy ran over dogs for many people here.

Just looking at about a 5-6 week stretch in the middle of the season when he went on a heater is really cherry picking things when compared with a huge sample size of rest of his career including the way the rest of his season and his playoffs went.  There is a lot more than just scoring goals, especially if you are allowing just as many goals against and have a ton of defensive warts.  In another post you mentioned that this year's playoffs was too small a sample size.  You take out the same 5 week playoff length from that good statistical blip in the middle of the season where he scored most of his goals... and everything says this guy isn't really much of a player.  Why do you disregard 5 years of play and give lots of weight to a particular 5 weeks?

As for a long career because of scoring 18 goals.  Baertschi scored as many goals and points in a season in as many games, the next year he was again on an even higher PPG pace than before and higher than Jake has ever had... and Baertschi ended up in the minors.  One 18 goal scorer isn't even on the taxi squad and getting a chance.  Over their NHL careers which are a similar number of games... Baertschi has outperformed Jake in basically every metric both offensively and defensively.

One of them keeps getting chances and one isn't in the league.  There isn't a double standard here, at least one that goes against Virtanen.  The only double standard seems to be that former 1st round picks get a whole lot of opportunities.

When players like Eriksson, Roussel, MacEwan, etc keep getting slotted into the lineup ahead of a guy... it is pretty reasonable to detect a lack of trust from the coaching staff.  Maybe Virtanen "gets it" on a next stop in the league like Kassian did... but maybe not.  Maybe he is just a dummy

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

2 years of coming into camp under coaches standard. Gets called out publicly by the GM after a poor playoffs. After all that he comes in this year without much drive in him again. If anybody needed to come out of the gates flying it was Jake.

I've been one to back this guy up waiting patiently for him to mature. Obviously it's just not going to happen in this city.

He doesn't fit in the top 6 simply because he's not smart enough. Hogs is already passed him & Podz will undoubtedly do the same.
I'm not sure he fits in our bottom 6 either as he's not hungry or gritty enough. He seems to play to not get hurt or scratched or bruised or mess his pretty hair up in anyway. Motter, Macewan, Roussel, Gaudette, even Beagle bring more to the table than Virtanen does. 

His strengths is in his skating when he has open space and his quick hard shot. Just like in junior where he could use that more regularly with his physicality. Unfortunately that kind of space & one dimensional play doesn't translate to the NHL or even AHL as we've seen & his physicality play has pretty much disappeared. 
This guy is not willing to put in the work/hustle, throw the big hits  drive to the net and in your face hockey that he needs to do to be an impact player he could be.  Kind of a pretty boy attitude which isn't working or flying with his team mates, GM, etc.

Address change might be the only thing that wakes him up.  

Just my humble opinion after 9 years of watching him develop. 

PS. Truly still HOPE Jake can prove me wrong, but I'm starting to lose faith just a bit as you can see. 

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

It really is. He is not an exceptionally bright kid, so it takes him time to learn. But all this crap about his whole career not showing anything, and how he is blowing his last chance, is nonsense.

He has improved every year. He continues to become more versatile, might even be seen on the PK sometime this season, and has reached the point where his production is not that easy to replace. 

And yet even if he continues to improve this year, say from last year's 21 goal pace to a 25 goal pace, becomes another tiny bit more consistent, continues to to lead the team in takeaways and be among the team leaders in hits, there will still be an abundance of Jake hate.

In the first two games he's had some bad giveaways, but he's also had some heady takeaways, and good shots.

Do I look at him as a 1st line player? No, he's a 3rd liner. But do I look at him as someone we should give up on? Hell no

• Cheers 2

How would any Jake complainer like to play for a coach that so obviously hates him?

Jake has his issues for sure, but his greatest road block to a steady spot in the top six is Green. Jake should be traded for his sake. A better coaching approach could end up reminding us of Cam Neeley. He has the potential to cone back to haunt us.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 3

Jake is like a modern day Jim Sandlak

We traded Cam Neely because of drafting Sandlak

It wasn't Jim's fault the Canucks made the trade and that he never became the player Neely turned into

Like Sandlak, Jake will never have the impact of Neely either

Jake should not have been picked 6th, but that isn't his fault he was either

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Jake is like a modern day Jim Sandlak

We traded Cam Neely because of drafting Sandlak

It wasn't Jim's fault the Canucks made the trade and that he never became the player Neely turned into

Like Sandlak, Jake will never have the impact of Neely either

Jake should not have been picked 6th, but that isn't his fault he was either

Sandlak is an interesting comparison. Like Jake everyone kept waiting and hoped he would turn out to be a consistent player, eventually it never worked out. I’m afraid the same situation for Jake is ahead. Missed the first two games but it sounds like the same old jake is back at it. And it also sounds like Hoglander is better at puck battles already as a rookie, how can that be? Drive and determination is how!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rabid Rooster said:

How would any Jake complainer like to play for a coach that so obviously hates him?

Jake has his issues for sure, but his greatest road block to a steady spot in the top six is Green. Jake should be traded for his sake. A better coaching approach could end up reminding us of Cam Neeley. He has the potential to cone back to haunt us.

Nobody liked Scotty Bowman... you had to bring it every night with him. But yet for the right players, they performed.

9 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Sandlak is an interesting comparison. Like Jake everyone kept waiting and hoped he would turn out to be a consistent player, eventually it never worked out. I’m afraid the same situation for Jake is ahead. Missed the first two games but it sounds like the same old jake is back at it. And it also sounds like Hoglander is better at puck battles already as a rookie, how can that be? Drive and determination is how!

That's the general problem with people on this forum. They read what a few people say and then conclude that "sounds like old Jake is back at it". After watching the post game interviews, reading other forums, articles and even posters on here, it seems Jake did quite well in game 1 but like everyone else, did quite bad on the 2nd game. I didn't watch either games too so I'm not going to say whether he was very good or bad, I just hope you have more basis for that statement.

And yes, the hate on Jake is like a drug addiction that people cant get rid of.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1