The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's quite frankly running out of time. Hoglander has already pushed him out of the top 6 (once Miller returns) and depending on how good Podkolzin is, he may find himself under pressure to hold his 3rd line job too.

Miller-Petey-Brock

Hogz-Horvat-Podz

Now dat's a top 6 right there

13 hours ago, Rabid Rooster said:

How would any Jake complainer like to play for a coach that so obviously hates him?

Jake has his issues for sure, but his greatest road block to a steady spot in the top six is Green. Jake should be traded for his sake. A better coaching approach could end up reminding us of Cam Neeley. He has the potential to cone back to haunt us.

Not to mention Jake has changed his game/ mind set . I would love to see Jake go to a team that coaches body first instead of puck first . When's the last time Jake threw a big hit? Jake should play the game like Tom Wilson , the way he hits but if you watch Wilson , he plays the body usually not the puck.....and no one said Wilson was smart but taking a player out of the play is his Defence and that's what Jake should have been taught but........Jake is one of the best hitters I've seen in a long time but it's an asset being wasted and Jake hits are usually clean unlike Wilson's  

Jake is a Tom Wilson type not a Evander kane type.......

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Good grief you guys, its only 2 games.

Plus six years of pretty much the same discussion point(s) with Jake whether it is positive or not.

Starting to wonder if it is the staff not knowing how to utilize/inspire  Jake or that Jake does not know how to be successful in Greens' system - perhaps the answer is a combination of both (?).  Maybe once he has moved on, he will either make us fans regret it (Neely or to a lesser extent Kassian) or perhaps not (?).  Preferably, I would prefer he stays but he struggles when it comes to creating offensive opportunities (most of the time) despite his linemates.  

His potential is very enticing but his on ice performance seems to be mostly uninspired.  Not sure how his tenure with the Canucks will end up but at this point it seems that JB & Green are giving him (this contract) as a chance to proved if he can be a part of the core.  He is talented and oozes potential but if he doesn't fit with EP and the rest of the core it would probably be best to bring up his trade value or (Big Maybe) bring in a new staff (?).  In six years or so of watching him play there is still alot of question marks than answered when it comes to Jake.   Imo, this will mostly come down to Jake wanting to stay and be a part of this core; unless JB finds a trade that he cannot refuse that makes the team better. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

That's the general problem with people on this forum. They read what a few people say and then conclude that "sounds like old Jake is back at it". After watching the post game interviews, reading other forums, articles and even posters on here, it seems Jake did quite well in game 1 but like everyone else, did quite bad on the 2nd game. I didn't watch either games too so I'm not going to say whether he was very good or bad, I just hope you have more basis for that statement.

And yes, the hate on Jake is like a drug addiction that people cant get rid of.

Do you think the Canucks will just wait forever for Jake to be consistent and/ or improve etc?

• Upvote 1

Jake:

24 year old, almost 20 goal scorer, so far (a goal every 4.2 games over the last 2 seasons)

Practicing to be a penalty killer

Great speed, good size.

Plays low 3rd line minutes., makes me wonder how his points/goals per minute played look.

Even if this guy never, ever gets 'better' he is still a decent hockey player.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Early days for Jake and the team.  The team as a whole had a pretty bad game against the Oilers.

I hadn't really thought of Virt as a 1st line player; more of a 3rd liner that can move up to the 2nd, as needed.  In that case, he's a bargain at his cap hit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Early days for Jake and the team.  The team as a whole had a pretty bad game against the Oilers.

I hadn't really thought of Virt as a 1st line player; more of a 3rd liner that can move up to the 2nd, as needed.  In that case, he's a bargain at his cap hit. 

And unfortunately a horrible top 10 pick

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

And unfortunately a horrible top 10 pick

Let it go, man.   Every team has had a questionable top 10 pick now and then.  Since then, it appears that the management put a greater value on character and hockey sense.  The recent draft picks are sure making up for it and let's not forget that Demko and Tryamkin were also in that draft.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

He has turned out better than, Sam Bennett and Michael Del Cole, both picked before him.

2014 was a very average draft, so there are quite a few underachievers in the 1st round.  I actually like Sam Bennett's game and I respect how hard he worked to change his style of play.  I prefer Sam's game to Jake's.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Draft can be a crap shoot, i guess it could have been worse, we could have taken Ho Sang! I’d actually rather have Bennett but that’s just me

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Let it go, man.   Every team has had a questionable top 10 pick now and then.  Since then, it appears that the management put a greater value on character and hockey sense.  The recent draft picks are sure making up for it and let's not forget that Demko and Tryamkin were also in that draft.

2014 was a very average draft, so there are quite a few underachievers in the 1st round.  I actually like Sam Bennett's game and I respect how hard he worked to change his style of play.  I prefer Sam's game to Jake's.

I liked 18 year old Sam Bennett, but the guy has declined as he aged.

• Cheers 1