The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I've said this before on here but I'll tell the story again, and for the record I've always cheered Jake on and wanted him to work out.

A buddy of mine played on team canadas roller hockey team with Jake's brother Stefan and they are good friends and he knows jake and his family well. And he wants Jake traded, he is adamant about his character issues and entitlement and just a piss poor attitude. Coming from a family friend.

Another story, I used to work with a guy who grew up in Calgary and his parents were Jake's Billet family when he played for the hitmen and he couldn't stand him. Said he was one of the biggest dbags he ever met.

I've always hoped he would prove these 2 wrong but when the shoe fits ...

Part of the reason this franchise and fanbase has been so patient with him is Cam Neely disease but let's face it. Hes not even a sam Bennett let alone a neely

I love these vague stories from Abby kids that pop up about ol Jakey lol

You just wait. Another year, two years tops, and Jake is gonna be a premier power forward in the league.

Bertuzzi 2.0!

• Wat 1

Jake was one of the best skaters last night.  I thought he had a good game.  Greener had him out double shifting both he and Hogz because they were the two who were actually skating out there.  Jake had a decent game in the season opener and struggled in the next game and last night he was one of our best skaters.  I do believe he had 5 or so hits last night as well.  Jake could score 20 goals this year and we would still be throwing him under the bus.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Jake was one of the best skaters last night.  I thought he had a good game.  Greener had him out double shifting both he and Hogz because they were the two who were actually skating out there.  Jake had a decent game in the season opener and struggled in the next game and last night he was one of our best skaters.  I do believe he had 5 or so hits last night as well.  Jake could score 20 goals this year and we would still be throwing him under the bus.  

It's telling how often we can find in the game stats that Jake has had several hits, but no one can actually remember any of them.  With his rare combination of size and speed, there's just no excuse for that.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, ImConfused said:

I love these vague stories from Abby kids that pop up about ol Jakey lol

You just wait. Another year, two years tops, and Jake is gonna be a premier power forward in the league.

Bertuzzi 2.0!

I hope so but I'm not lying.

But it is all hearsay though I'm only repeating others personal opinions which could be biased for whatever reason. Like I said at the beginning of the post is I've always rooted for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

But it is all hearsay though I'm only repeating others personal opinions which could be biased for whatever reason. Like I said at the beginning of the post is I've always rooted for him.

I heard he's a really nice guy, he tips 20% at restaurants, his middle name is work ethic, and he uses organic, free-range, fair trade toothpaste.

• Haha 4
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

Come on now, it’s only Jake’s D+7 season. People are being too impatient. 

At 30 I think we’ll have a better picture of what we’ve got with Jake. 

I don't know if this is what the sarcasm you're giving is implying or not, but one thing I want to point out here is there's a difference between now and even 2 or 3 years ago. I don't think 2 or 3 years ago, it would have been enough time to give to Virtanen. If a player's not playing well at all to the point where he's not going to be an NHL'er, then sure I can see that being sufficient time, but Virtanen's become an NHL'er and he has gradually (albeit slowly) increased his game over the years.

I think now, perhaps the question is more has he plateaued? We don't know if he's a bottom 6 forward for the rest of his career or if he's going to develop into that top 6 forward. So then we go to the question I asked a little earlier in this thread: do we treat him like any other prospect still where, if he doesn't become what we want him to become, he's gone, or are we willing to still have him here at 30 even if he's a bottom 6 forward and, if he does still develop, then perhaps it's found money at that point.

While I'm sure what you are saying is sarcasm, it's not a far fetched idea if you think about it. ;)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

It's telling how often we can find in the game stats that Jake has had several hits, but no one can actually remember any of them.  With his rare combination of size and speed, there's just no excuse for that.

So you rather have him throw a big hit, which might make him miss an assignment and then get benched again? I mean he is hitting (not super hard) and he is also intelligently going into passing lanes to block or disrupt passes. From the few games I have seen, he has won more board battles and have intercepted the puck more than before. Of course he hasn't won ALL the board battles but I see that he has won more in proportion over his previous years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I don't know if this is what the sarcasm you're giving is implying or not, but one thing I want to point out here is there's a difference between now and even 2 or 3 years ago. I don't think 2 or 3 years ago, it would have been enough time to give to Virtanen. If a player's not playing well at all to the point where he's not going to be an NHL'er, then sure I can see that being sufficient time, but Virtanen's become an NHL'er and he has gradually (albeit slowly) increased his game over the years.

I think now, perhaps the question is more has he plateaued? We don't know if he's a bottom 6 forward for the rest of his career or if he's going to develop into that top 6 forward. So then we go to the question I asked a little earlier in this thread: do we treat him like any other prospect still where, if he doesn't become what we want him to become, he's gone, or are we willing to still have him here at 30 even if he's a bottom 6 forward and, if he does still develop, then perhaps it's found money at that point.

While I'm sure what you are saying is sarcasm, it's not a far fetched idea if you think about it. ;)

IMO, Jake is no longer a prospect.  He's positioned himself as a legitimate third/fourth liner in the NHL.  Hopefully he can continue to grow his game so he can effectively play up and down the lineup.  He's shown over the years that he is a slow starter, so maybe in a couple of weeks, we will start seeing him be more productive. 

While watching the game last night, I was wishfully asking myself wouldn't it be great if Virtanen could be the Canucks' answer to Tkachuk...Virtanen matches up pretty well against Tkachuk physically, but he just doesn't have that truculence that I'd love to see him play with.

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

IMO, Jake is no longer a prospect.  He's positioned himself as a legitimate third/fourth liner in the NHL.  Hopefully he can continue to grow his game so he can effectively play up and down the lineup.  He's shown over the years that he is a slow starter, so maybe in a couple of weeks, we will start seeing him be more productive. 

While watching the game last night, I was wishfully asking myself wouldn't it be great if Virtanen could be the Canucks' answer to Tkachuk...Virtanen matches up pretty well against Tkachuk physically, but he just doesn't have that truculence that I'd love to see him play with.

I mean, Virt can't be any worse than Eriksson, and we carried his a$$ all the way into his thirties, and paid him much more xD

Maybe Jake just needs to add the little things to his game..

20 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I have seen hits that are happening as the puck is being moved out and the camera is moving with it. 

21 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I always root for him as well, but that said, I keep hoping to see a different compete level kick in. He shows flashes of it, but only he can decide if he's going to be a guy playing on the fringe, or if he's going to use his size, speed and strength and give opposing defense, real problems containing him on a semi-nightly basis.

Fingers crossed that he finds that extra gear, he has the tools.

• Cheers 1

On 1/17/2021 at 11:42 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

I've said this before on here but I'll tell the story again, and for the record I've always cheered Jake on and wanted him to work out.

A buddy of mine played on team canadas roller hockey team with Jake's brother Stefan and they are good friends and he knows jake and his family well. And he wants Jake traded, he is adamant about his character issues and entitlement and just a piss poor attitude. Coming from a family friend.

Another story, I used to work with a guy who grew up in Calgary and his parents were Jake's Billet family when he played for the hitmen and he couldn't stand him. Said he was one of the biggest dbags he ever met.

I've always hoped he would prove these 2 wrong but when the shoe fits ...

Part of the reason this franchise and fanbase has been so patient with him is Cam Neely disease but let's face it. Hes not even a sam Bennett let alone a neely

Bimini's Babyyyy

Iykyk 

16 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Goal aside this was easily his best and most engaged game so far this season. He and Gaudette(minus the penalties) were one of if not the only bright spot from another disastrous night. 

I don't quite understand why Virtanen didn't play for most of the night. He easily had his best game in a long time.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't quite understand why Virtanen didn't play for most of the night. He easily had his best game in a long time.

Team took too many penalties. Which means Virtanen's time dried up, along with Gaudette. When we weren't killing penalties Greener has to make sure the top line is getting back out there. And rightfully so, they need to stay in a rhythm too. It's just the nature of penalties taking the wind outta the team's sails as a whole. Seemed like when it was time for Gaudette and Virtanen's line to get back out there the team too another penalty thus resetting the cycle.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Good game for Virtanen. Weird how he played better on a lower line.

That Petey/Boeser line has been straight doo-doo so far. 42% corsi with nearly 80% ozone starts for Petey and Boeser while the Sutter/Beagle line, that gets routinely roasted, has 33-36% ozone starts with a 55% corsi. People blamed Jake for that top line struggling but both times he was removed from the line he and the team looked better. Pettersson has looked like a shell of himself so far this season. Boeser's shot was clean in game one but has been kinda meh overall himself. Jake has looked better than Petey for sure, and overall better than Boeser. I like Jake's forechecking so far this season. Turns pucks over. I really wanna see Jake, Hoglander and Horvat. Really feel it has the makings of a good overall line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2