The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

17 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

And unfortunately a horrible top 10 pick

He has turned out better than, Sam Bennett and Michael Del Cole, both picked before him.

• Hydration 3
10 minutes ago, gurn said:

He has turned out better than, Sam Bennett and Michael Del Cole, both picked before him.

Draft can be a crap shoot, i guess it could have been worse, we could have taken Ho Sang! I’d actually rather have Bennett but that’s just me

• Hydration 1
33 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

And unfortunately a horrible top 10 pick

Let it go, man.   Every team has had a questionable top 10 pick now and then.  Since then, it appears that the management put a greater value on character and hockey sense.  The recent draft picks are sure making up for it and let's not forget that Demko and Tryamkin were also in that draft.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

2014 was a very average draft, so there are quite a few underachievers in the 1st round.  I actually like Sam Bennett's game and I respect how hard he worked to change his style of play.  I prefer Sam's game to Jake's.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Draft can be a crap shoot, i guess it could have been worse, we could have taken Ho Sang! I’d actually rather have Bennett but that’s just me

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Let it go, man.   Every team has had a questionable top 10 pick now and then.  Since then, it appears that the management put a greater value on character and hockey sense.  The recent draft picks are sure making up for it and let's not forget that Demko and Tryamkin were also in that draft.

2014 was a very average draft, so there are quite a few underachievers in the 1st round.  I actually like Sam Bennett's game and I respect how hard he worked to change his style of play.  I prefer Sam's game to Jake's.

I liked 18 year old Sam Bennett, but the guy has declined as he aged.

• Hydration 1
14 minutes ago, gurn said:

• Upvote 1
Just now, gurn said:

I liked 18 year old Sam Bennett, but the guy has declined as he aged.

Have a look at his PIMs and playoffs #s.  He's not the 'star' he used to be, but the new SB ain't shabby.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
54 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Sure can be a crapshoot!!! Remember Gilbert Brule? Another cant miss prospect who missed! 

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Do you think the Canucks will just wait forever for Jake to be consistent and/ or improve etc?

Of course not, no one said that. But it doesn't mean you can throw him under the bus for everything negative that happens to the Canucks.

Analysts tonight were raving about how Lucic throwing one mediocre hit energized his team when they needed it.  Imagine how much good Jake could do for this team if he actually had any interest in hitting!....On second thought, don't imagine it -- it'll drive you crazy!

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Hate to/love to bring it up again but show me one person who wouldn't rather have Willie Nylander over Jake now. Everyone said Jake would be the big tough guy and Nylander was just a princess.

Nylander's a scoring machine, 4 points in 3 games and he doesn't even play with Toronto's top players most of the time.

Jake's getting his shot on our top line again and is basically making them worse.

I think if this keeps up JB is going to have had enough with Jake and he's going to be part of a trade, either in a package or a one for one swap for someone who also needs a change of scenery. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit you made the dumb pick, and I think JB will do it - he won't just keep this experiment going because it's costing us on the ice.

• Hydration 3
55 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hate to/love to bring it up again but show me one person who wouldn't rather have Willie Nylander over Jake now. Everyone said Jake would be the big tough guy and Nylander was just a princess.

Nylander's a scoring machine, 4 points in 3 games and he doesn't even play with Toronto's top players most of the time.

Jake's getting his shot on our top line again and is basically making them worse.

I think if this keeps up JB is going to have had enough with Jake and he's going to be part of a trade, either in a package or a one for one swap for someone who also needs a change of scenery. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit you made the dumb pick, and I think JB will do it - he won't just keep this experiment going because it's costing us on the ice.

It would have caused a butterfly effect. We’d not have the players we have today. It would change for better or worse. Totally unpredictable.

Would be nice though. 

On 1/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, Westcoasting said:

Do you think the Canucks will just wait forever for Jake to be consistent and/ or improve etc?

Come on now, it’s only Jake’s D+7 season. People are being too impatient. 

At 30 I think we’ll have a better picture of what we’ve got with Jake. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

?

See your warning for further details and the guidelines in place.

Spamming the boards with this crap is not tolerated (thanks oldnews...was also posted elsewhere but would have missed it here!)

• Vintage 1
22 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Come on now, it’s only Jake’s D+7 season. People are being too impatient. 

At 30 I think we’ll have a better picture of what we’ve got with Jake. 

Yep powerforwards take longer to develop...hopefully by the time he’s 30 he will be good to go :)

• Haha 1