The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, bbllpp said:

Sorry but Jake was not directly responsible for 30 GA last year, that’s ridiculous 

He scored 12 goals 5v5 and was on the ice for 36 goals against 5v5.

As a total at even strength, when he was on the ice more goals were scored against him than his line scored.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 4

18 hours ago, Provost said:

I have a problem with a player that scores 18 goals but costs 30 goals against

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

this is some of your worst, pseudo 'analytical' stuff yet.

you can do better than this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

As a total at even strength, when he was on the ice more goals were scored against him than his line scored.

You just undid yourself, 5 other guys on the ice, 12 goals is pulling his weight and more with those numbers 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Provost said:

I have a problem with a player that scores 18 goals but costs 30 goals against when he is on the ice and disappears for weeks at a time when he decides he doesn't feel like playing.

If Jake would be Kassian I would be happy... he is nothing like that though.  He is a less offensively prolific and less physical Taylor Pyatt.  Not good enough offensively for a top 6 role and not good enough or a two way player for the bottom of the lineup.

not sure where u get your numbers from pretty sure virtanen has never been minus 30 in his career he was minus 4 last yr and plus 2 in playoffs    20 goals 19 assists last yr combined. Do you watch games hes been hitting this yr and playing ok 

hes only minus 1  this season   and on team juolevi only player that s plus  you seem like your just taking  stats outta your ass 

10926154-4D82-4700-A8BA-2BA659027260.png

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Provost said:

ya how many goals did be set up last yr as well 18 to 19 your stats are dumb he was minus 4  

• Cheers 1

On 1/20/2021 at 6:40 PM, gurn said:

Apparently the NHL team disagrees with you about the money, so it isn't about what I think, it is about what they think.

1 Jake Virtanen F VAN Y Aug-Oct Same RFA 23 2 $2,823,000 12% 30% 14% 6% 13% 19% 5% 1% $1,751,000 $2,823,000 $3,069,000 $3,673,000 $3,866,000 $4,586,000 $4,788,000 $5,387,000 3.6 $3,382,000
2 Josh Leivo F VAN Y Aug-Oct Different UFA 27 1 $865,000 42% 16% 18% 12% 8% 2% 1% 1% $865,000 $1,481,000 $2,093,000 $2,465,000 $3,351,000 $3,140,000 $3,171,000 $4,112,000 2.4 $1,682,000

1 Jake Virtanen F
2 Josh Leivo F

Showing 1 to 2 of 2 entries

contract predictor is always a good estimate

I would love to see Travis try out a 3rd line of Virtanen, (Gaudette or Sutter) and Bailey. That line should give the other teams nightmares with Bailey and Virt's speed both offensively and defensively. Either Virt or Bailey can blow by defenders if hit with good passes while in flight and also have the size and ability to get in on the forecheck in a hurry.

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would love to see Travis try out a 3rd line of Virtanen, (Gaudette or Sutter) and Bailey. That line should give the other teams nightmares with Bailey and Virt's speed both offensively and defensively. Either Virt or Bailey can blow by defenders if hit with good passes while in flight and also have the size and ability to get in on the forecheck in a hurry.

What happened to Gaudette tonight? I didn't even notice that he wasn't playing until the game was out of hand. LOL 

Is he injured? 

35 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I  have to say JB's biggest blunder last off season was keeping Jake thus leading to Toffoli being let go.

Jake experiment is over. The guy is a bust for a Top 10 draft pick.

Your probably right that he wasn't the right pick for a top ten selection. 

Still hoping that he will become a solid NHL player. Maybe he will never produce the way that Nylander and Ehlers will offensively, but as of right now, he's an NHL player. How good of an NHL player will he be? That's still yet to be seen. Middle six at the very least. I think he's too good to be a fourth liner. So at the very least he's a good middle six NHL forward. Top six? Might be able to do spot duty there, but he would never be counted on to drive any line, let alone carry it. He's the benefactor of good line mates that can find him. He's not the guy that drives a line unfortunately. 40-45 points for Jake? I'd be happy with that. 

• Cheers 2

He's been one of our worst forwards so far this season up there with Petey, but we know Petey will turn it around whereas that's unknown with Jake. 1 goal in 6 games isn't horrible but he's been invisible otherwise and not generating anything.

I think if they want to salvage this waste of a pick Green needs to think about getting something else out of Jake. He's not a top-line scoring winger anymore, his WHL days are long gone. Maybe Green needs to think about developing his defensive game and turn him into a Motte-type penalty killer. Forget about scoring, use his speed and grit to play on the PK instead. It would take a big mental shift but I don't really see him useful for anything else right now, he just cruises around the ice not contributing anything. We haven't had a pylon like him since the Cowan/Pyatt days and even they managed to score some goals with the Sedins from time to time.

I don't think JB would just walk away from a 6th overall pick but if this keeps up, you'd hope he finds a trade out there 1-for-1 for someone else who needs a change of scenery.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's been one of our worst forwards so far this season up there with Petey, but we know Petey will turn it around whereas that's unknown with Jake. 1 goal in 6 games isn't horrible but he's been invisible otherwise and not generating anything.

I think if they want to salvage this waste of a pick Green needs to think about getting something else out of Jake. He's not a top-line scoring winger anymore, his WHL days are long gone. Maybe Green needs to think about developing his defensive game and turn him into a Motte-type penalty killer. Forget about scoring, use his speed and grit to play on the PK instead. It would take a big mental shift but I don't really see him useful for anything else right now, he just cruises around the ice not contributing anything. We haven't had a pylon like him since the Cowan/Pyatt days and even they managed to score some goals with the Sedins from time to time.

I don't think JB would just walk away from a 6th overall pick but if this keeps up, you'd hope he finds a trade out there 1-for-1 for someone else who needs a change of scenery.

I disagree.

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think a trade might be possible. What you see is the same as other GM's see. However you're right the time has certainly come for a decision. Come the end of the season Podkolzyn but in the mean time maybe it's time a player from the taxi squad or Winnipeg. Personally, I'd like to see what this Michaels kid can offer or Hawryluk. maybe Buffalo want to move on from Middelstad

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1