The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Worst game of his season in a 7-1 win. 

Maybe when he’s 30.

Really? In his 9 minutes of play, he did quite well. And he was +2..so I don't know how you can say it was his worst game.

Also, someone mentioned he is one of the worst players so far for the Canucks this season, I have to strongly disagree (if that poster even bothered watching the game objectively).

• Cheers 1

I was sure wrong, I thought Jake with great off season training in Kelowna would have  great start..I thought he would be using his speed and causing havoc with his size and speed...Only 1 goal not playing much in some games...I do think he will be traded once Podkolzin arrives...

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I  have to say JB's biggest blunder last off season was keeping Jake thus leading to Toffoli being let go.

Jake experiment is over. The guy is a bust for a Top 10 draft pick.

Not what happened according to Satiar Shah - Benning wanted to keep Toffoli and sounds like Virtanen was the fall back option after they couldn’t clear cap space to retain Toffoli. 

20 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Your probably right that he wasn't the right pick for a top ten selection. 

To be fair a strong argument could be made that 5 out of the top 10 picks that year haven't really lived up to 'top ten' standards. 

Edit: I think anyone wanting to label Jake as a bust needs to go look through all 7 rounds of that draft year..... there are around 10 players drafted after him who are arguably better than he is and a couple of them (Point/Arvidsson) weren't on anyone's radar in the first round. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 1

Obviously would like to see Jake hit another level in his game, but quietly thought his game looks a lot more responsible in the dzone. 

I think playing with Sutter and MacEwen will help him develop that defensive game while also seeing MacEwen's physical game will only pull Jake into it too. I usually harp on Jake, but I haven't disliked his game so far. Could be far more noticable but last game was a good step.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

To be fair a strong argument could be made that 5 out of the top 10 picks that year haven't really lived up to 'top ten' standards. 

Edit: I think anyone wanting to label Jake as a bust needs to go look through all 7 rounds of that draft year..... there are around 10 players drafted after him who are arguably better than he is and a couple of them (Point/Arvidsson) weren't on anyone's radar in the first round. 

Yeah, I can see that argument. Dal Colle hasn't lived up to his draft position, neither has Sam forever young Bennett. Or what about Hayden Fleury? I think sometimes we focus on the two that we could have had in Nylander and Ehlers, but forget about so many of the others that were taken before or even shortly after Virtanen, that haven't exactly panned out either. I mean, we could have had Nik Ritchie for crying out loud. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Obviously would like to see Jake hit another level in his game, but quietly thought his game looks a lot more responsible in the dzone. 

I think playing with Sutter and MacEwen will help him develop that defensive game while also seeing MacEwen's physical game will only pull Jake into it too. I usually harp on Jake, but I haven't disliked his game so far. Could be far more noticable but last game was a good step.

That's what I hear as well. That's Jake's defensive game is better this season (at least to start with). Hopefully he keeps that up. If he does, his offensive game will come along eventually. He's too good not to score. Whether he's good enough to score consistently is a different question entirely. He's streaker, that much we all know. Does he get more than 18 this season? Probably not. What's 18 goals in a shortened 56 game pace? 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lol Jake has been in the NHL more than MacEwen, who has been in AHL, Why does Jake need excuses anymore, he is not 18. Benning has publicly called him out twice that i know off of what he wants from him (which is rare for him to do), his team mates have and i am sure ALL his coach's have, and if he can read, he can see what the public and media say and what they would like to see from him

He has been lucky that RW is not a strength on this team, and this is a show me year, or his spot could be taken by Podz and he becomes a back up or lose his spot like Baer did

It is not that he is a waste of a player, but he does not play to his strengths and always does the same lazy routines and expecting them to work, instead of skating hard to the front, or being a pain out there and making people timid. What is his go to move anyways? skate down the outside and take a far angle shot?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

12 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol Jake has been in the NHL more than MacEwen, who has been in AHL, Why does Jake need excuses anymore, he is not 18. Benning has publicly called him out twice that i know off of what he wants from him (which is rare for him to do), his team mates have and i am sure ALL his coach's have, and if he can read, he can see what the public and media say and what they would like to see from him

He has been lucky that RW is not a strength on this team, and this is a show me year, or his spot could be taken by Podz and he becomes a back up or lose his spot like Baer did

It is not that he is a waste of a player, but he does not play to his strengths and always does the same lazy routines and expecting them to work, instead of skating hard to the front, or being a pain out there and making people timid. What is his go to move anyways? skate down the outside and take a far angle shot?

I'm pretty close to this point as well. I've been patient with Virtanen the last 2 years or so hoping he would begin to take some steps, even if its at a slower pace than most would like. But I'm not going to sit and wait for him forever. At this point, I would trade him in the offseason. Chances are high that getting dealt could be his wake up call and he could flourish on another team, but I'm growing more and more convinced its not going to happen in Vancouver. 

I don't think Virtanen is a liability or anything, but I don't think he'll reach the level we need him to be at in order to be a strong, consistent contributor for us. We can find someone else to play on the 3rd line, its not an irreplaceable hole. There's nothing that Virtanen does that MacEwan can't with more intensity, compete and consistency. I'd move him in the offseason at this point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 1/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

He hasn't done his so called "go to move" in years. Actually watch the game please

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm pretty close to this point as well. I've been patient with Virtanen the last 2 years or so hoping he would begin to take some steps, even if its at a slower pace than most would like. But I'm not going to sit and wait for him forever. At this point, I would trade him in the offseason. Chances are high that getting dealt could be his wake up call and he could flourish on another team, but I'm growing more and more convinced its not going to happen in Vancouver. 

I don't think Virtanen is a liability or anything, but I don't think he'll reach the level we need him to be at in order to be a strong, consistent contributor for us. We can find someone else to play on the 3rd line, its not an irreplaceable hole. There's nothing that Virtanen does that MacEwan can't with more intensity, compete and consistency. I'd move him in the offseason at this point. 

Under Green LOL Green has made him what he is.

19 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Roussell will be gone before Jake. Both Jake and MacEwen need the TOI. Both had great scoring opps last night. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Under Green LOL Green has made him what he is.

I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't mention Green at all. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Roussell will be gone before Jake. Both Jake and MacEwen need the TOI. Both had great scoring opps last night. 

I would like Roussel gone as well, but I don't think it's practical unless he has positive value which is debatable. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, N4ZZY said:

I mean, we could have had Nik Ritchie for crying out loud.

I've watched Boston play this year a few times. N.Ritchie is on the Top line & Top PP in Boston.

6 points in 6 games (3g 3a) playing 16:00 + a night.

I'd take N. Ritchie any day over Virtanen. 

Ritchie is trending upwards while Jake...
Pay attention to the whole NHL & you would've realized this too.

https://www.nhl.com/player/nick-ritchie-8477941?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20202021

Last 5 games
Opponent Date G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG S Shifts TOI
PIT JAN 26 1 0 1 -1 2 1 0 2 21 17:09
PHI JAN 23 0 2 2 -1 0 0 0 0 20 16:20
PHI JAN 21 1 1 2 1 0 1 0 2 19 15:22
NYI JAN 18 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 6 17 15:02
NJD JAN 16 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 19 15:07

• Like 1