The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I think people are too glued to watching the puck that they miss the game that happens around.

Virt - Sutter - Mac has been a very good line.

Watch the game. Just because you do not hear the name being called does not mean he is not doing things.

Noticed Jake about to make two big hits that the camera missed as it followed the puck.  A lot of the physical game happens off camera.

I like this line, having Big Mack as an effective forechecker gives the line more options

Jake may not be filling the net but he’s not hurting the team either 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I’d do a Virtanen for Lawson Crouse swap. Maybe Crouse can bring what Virtanen has been lacking. 

I don't think they would trade Jake for a LW

It would be a RW, D or C (smarter players that can play wing- like Team Canada loads up on C on wings)

If they found a RW somewhere, they may do for picks (can you imagine the talk if they traded a 6th overall for a ? pick) probably why he let TT walk and keep Jake?

I don't think they do anything with him until they feel confident in someone else and he loses his spot like Baer and LE appear to have and be a black ace

He isn't a bad player, but like Ferraro said yesterday about him and his lack of consistency and effort, that hard work is a skill, and not everyone can just do the hard work and just don't have that skill. Jake never had to work hard to be drafted, he was just bigger and faster than other kids growing up. it's different when others catch up and eventually pass you

Pretty sure he is what he is, and the team will accept that and have no more high expectations from him or move him in some way

29 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I don't think they would trade Jake for a LW

It would be a RW, D or C (smarter players that can play wing- like Team Canada loads up on C on wings)

If they found a RW somewhere, they may do for picks (can you imagine the talk if they traded a 6th overall for a ? pick) probably why he let TT walk and keep Jake?

I don't think they do anything with him until they feel confident in someone else and he loses his spot like Baer and LE appear to have and be a black ace

He isn't a bad player, but like Ferraro said yesterday about him and his lack of consistency and effort, that hard work is a skill, and not everyone can just do the hard work and just don't have that skill. Jake never had to work hard to be drafted, he was just bigger and faster than other kids growing up. it's different when others catch up and eventually pass you

Pretty sure he is what he is, and the team will accept that and have no more high expectations from him or move him in some way

Jake will continue to be 'passed by' as the prospects become ready for the NHL.  This year, Hogs jumped past him and next season Podz will likely replace him on the 3rd.

Jake has some value; especially his draft position, which a gm may take a chance on (maybe he might think it will turn out the way Ritchie did for Boston).  A trade might motivate Jake, and it would probably help for him to be away from the intensity and attention in Vancouver.

For me, the most apparent need for the team is next season replacement for Sutter.  I just don't see Gaud doing the job.  I would love to see JB pick up Scott Laughton. 

Well I don't know how many folks are still on the Jake bandwagon.  I really hoped and was gunning for us to trade him in the offseason when the asset value could have been pretty high coming off what is likely a high water mark season.  A former former 1st round pick coming off an 18 goal shortened campaign who has size and speed should be able to garner interest, at least in return for taking a bigger bad contract off our hands.  I could be wrong, maybe the whole hockey community already didn't want anything to do with giving up anything for him

Back in February I had mentioned that I wasn't comfortable saying he had "turned a corner" and his increased production was likely just a hot streak and statistical blip... I got roasted for it from all sides.  Since that 5-6 week stretch he has been producing at a 4th line rate.  He had a dismal final stretch of the season (to go along with the dismal start to last season), a worse playoffs, and has already been benched and outhustled and passed this year by a rookie half a foot shorter than him.

Nothing says he is going to be more than he is now.  There is nothing to suggest Green is suddenly going to slot him back onto the PP and into premium top 6 minutes where he can pad some stats.  If he is back in the lineup it will be with lesser players, and unlike Motte (who I also called a fringe NHLer last season... and will continue to eat my words on that one) Jake doesn't seem to be able to produce in those situations.

Unfortunately he is likely at zero trade value now, and may even become a contract liability you can't give away considering the money owed to him next year and his qualifying offer.  Move on from him now is really the best bet to me if you can, it also frees up some space for Podkolzin to come in mid-season who would likely push Jake farther down the depth chart anyways.  An asset sitting on the bench or playing on the 4th line isn't one that will appreciate.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

I'm not all together sure you can move him at the money he's being paid. I'd rather have Leivo at half the price or heck maybe Lind or Jasek. How about Hawryluk, I can't recall ever watching the kid but he is supposed to be an energy player. Apart from that if JB has any humanity it would help the kid too.  A fresh start. Hoglander has badly out played him.

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Such a useless player with no hockey IQ will never understand the support he gets on this board...u guyz are all clowns:lol: clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

There were some I thought would go down with the sinking ship. They refused to stare reality in the face :wub:  LOL Juolevi, is another might scrape through as a 3rd pairing but some just cling to fantasy 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not all together sure you can move him at the money he's being paid. I'd rather have Leivo at half the price or heck maybe Lind or Jasek. How about Hawryluk, I can't recall ever watching the kid but he is supposed to be an energy player. Apart from that if JB has any humanity it would help the kid too.  A fresh start. Hoglander has badly out played him.

Yes, I was all for signing Leivo as a cheap option who was really more suited  for the “Jannik Jansen” utility role of moving up and down the lineup as needed.  That assumed he was healthy of course.

I would also like to see Hawyrluk, but Green has earned the benefit of the doubt, that if he thinks a kid gives him a better chance, he will go with that player. Green has his flaws, but not giving kids a chance isn’t one of them.  It took huge cajones to play a skinny Swedish LW rookie as a centre in the West against giants who dominated that position in the conference.  I don’t think any other coach in the league makes that decision.  Giving Hoglander the chance this year is the same deal.  For a coach without a contract extension, it would have been a lot safer play to just throw Eriksson back on that line and hope to just avoid goals against.

I know Virtanen is going to slot back into the lineup, but so also like the fact he is being held to account merit wise which hasn’t always happened.  

I think you could still move him, but the return won’t be much.  Maybe a package with Baertschi to open up cap space for a trade deadline add?  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick?  We don’t really need any roster players right now that we could get in return for him.  Does Ottawa need to pick up a couple of forwards with some speed?  Arizona?   Buffalo?

Edited by Provost

Ceiling: "Hello Jake"

Jake is what he is. Green and the Canucks have gone above and beyond for this guy, years of development and opportunity.

Hoglander (the anti-Jake) has blown him out of the water. Jake is nothing more than a 4th liner on a contender, if that.  Time to move on IMO, maybe he can sweeten a deal to trade one of the vets.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

No question Jake has disappointed so far this season.  Interesting fact though, in the game he played on Wednesday vs Ottawa, there was a play where he had the puck on the boards beside the players' bench and Gudbranson came steaming in and hit Jake hard..........only it was Gudbranson who bounced off while Jake barely flinched.   And Gudbranson is a big dude !

If only Jake could channel that strength into some heavy play.   It'll be tough for Benning to pull the trigger on moving Jake, as I believe Jake was Benning's first ever draft pick as a GM.

The power forward ship has sailed on Jake, doesn’t have the will nor really the size to dominate the average NHL D.  He’s at best a middle six two-way forward which is fine in and of itself but the thing that jumps out to at me is that he hasn’t been groomed into a penalty killer.  It’s hard to find work long term in the NHL in the middle six or below if you don’t have some proficiency on the PK.

For me since the start of the bubble play-ins he eats minutes, throws some hits, and makes the decent defensive plays every once in awhile.  Not really hurting the team but not really contributing either, by definition he’s playing like a plug.  I am OK with his current game because he’s is hitting and he isn’t costing us goals against and is a plus player but disappointing all the same.

Management needs to pick Gaudette or Virtanen and move on from the other since you can’t really have 2 guys in the bottom six who you’re scared to put on the PK and hope to succeed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, bbllpp said:

The power forward ship has sailed on Jake, doesn’t have the will nor really the size to dominate the average NHL D.  He’s at best a middle six two-way forward which is fine in and of itself but the thing that jumps out to at me is that he hasn’t been groomed into a penalty killer.  It’s hard to find work long term in the NHL in the middle six or below if you don’t have some proficiency on the PK.

For me since the start of the bubble play-ins he eats minutes, throws some hits, and makes the decent defensive plays every once in awhile.  Not really hurting the team but not really contributing either, by definition he’s playing like a plug.  I am OK with his current game because he’s is hitting and he isn’t costing us goals against and is a plus player but disappointing all the same.

Management needs to pick Gaudette or Virtanen and move on from the other since you can’t really have 2 guys in the bottom six who you’re scared to put on the PK and hope to succeed.

I agree with most of what you said here but I'm not buying into virt not having the size to be a power forward. 

Simmonds is 6'2" 185

Virt is 6'1" 226 lol

Like you said I think it's more will and determination. Motte is a better power forward. 

Virt is low cost and he can skate well so it is what it is. HOWEVER he does cost us some goals by taking dumb lazy &^@#ing penalties.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I agree with most of what you said here but I'm not buying into virt not having the size to be a power forward. 

Simmonds is 6'2" 185

Virt is 6'1" 226 lol

Like you said I think it's more will and determination. Motte is a better power forward. 

Virt is low cost and he can skate well so it is what it is. HOWEVER he does cost us some goals by taking dumb lazy &^@#ing penalties.

More meant at 6’1” he’s smaller than the average NHL D, if he’s not putting in the work he’ll never succeed at it.  Bert was a Monster of a man by comparison and made it look easy as a result.  Yes Jake can take dumb penalties but he also draws them (plus 5 since the start of last year)

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

More meant at 6’1” he’s smaller than the average NHL D, if he’s not putting in the work he’ll never succeed at it.  Bert was a Monster of a man by comparison and made it look easy as a result.  Yes Jake can take dumb penalties but he also draws them (plus 5 since the start of last year)

Bert only had a couple pounds on Jake....

Bert is also a big believer of what Jake can become and being patient with him as he learns how to slide into a role that would best utilize that size and skillset.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bert only had a couple pounds on Jake....

Bert is also a big believer of what Jake can become and being patient with him as he learns how to slide into a role that would best utilize that size and skillset.

It’s not about weight it’s about strength.  I am also a believer in Jake, just do not see him turning into a power forward.

Still think he can be a solid north-south two-way forward with his skill set

• Thanks 1