The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

12 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol Jake has been in the NHL more than MacEwen, who has been in AHL, Why does Jake need excuses anymore, he is not 18. Benning has publicly called him out twice that i know off of what he wants from him (which is rare for him to do), his team mates have and i am sure ALL his coach's have, and if he can read, he can see what the public and media say and what they would like to see from him

He has been lucky that RW is not a strength on this team, and this is a show me year, or his spot could be taken by Podz and he becomes a back up or lose his spot like Baer did

It is not that he is a waste of a player, but he does not play to his strengths and always does the same lazy routines and expecting them to work, instead of skating hard to the front, or being a pain out there and making people timid. What is his go to move anyways? skate down the outside and take a far angle shot?

I'm pretty close to this point as well. I've been patient with Virtanen the last 2 years or so hoping he would begin to take some steps, even if its at a slower pace than most would like. But I'm not going to sit and wait for him forever. At this point, I would trade him in the offseason. Chances are high that getting dealt could be his wake up call and he could flourish on another team, but I'm growing more and more convinced its not going to happen in Vancouver. 

I don't think Virtanen is a liability or anything, but I don't think he'll reach the level we need him to be at in order to be a strong, consistent contributor for us. We can find someone else to play on the 3rd line, its not an irreplaceable hole. There's nothing that Virtanen does that MacEwan can't with more intensity, compete and consistency. I'd move him in the offseason at this point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
On 1/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol Jake has been in the NHL more than MacEwen, who has been in AHL, Why does Jake need excuses anymore, he is not 18. Benning has publicly called him out twice that i know off of what he wants from him (which is rare for him to do), his team mates have and i am sure ALL his coach's have, and if he can read, he can see what the public and media say and what they would like to see from him

He has been lucky that RW is not a strength on this team, and this is a show me year, or his spot could be taken by Podz and he becomes a back up or lose his spot like Baer did

It is not that he is a waste of a player, but he does not play to his strengths and always does the same lazy routines and expecting them to work, instead of skating hard to the front, or being a pain out there and making people timid. What is his go to move anyways? skate down the outside and take a far angle shot?

He hasn't done his so called "go to move" in years. Actually watch the game please

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm pretty close to this point as well. I've been patient with Virtanen the last 2 years or so hoping he would begin to take some steps, even if its at a slower pace than most would like. But I'm not going to sit and wait for him forever. At this point, I would trade him in the offseason. Chances are high that getting dealt could be his wake up call and he could flourish on another team, but I'm growing more and more convinced its not going to happen in Vancouver. 

I don't think Virtanen is a liability or anything, but I don't think he'll reach the level we need him to be at in order to be a strong, consistent contributor for us. We can find someone else to play on the 3rd line, its not an irreplaceable hole. There's nothing that Virtanen does that MacEwan can't with more intensity, compete and consistency. I'd move him in the offseason at this point. 

Under Green LOL Green has made him what he is.

19 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Roussell will be gone before Jake. Both Jake and MacEwen need the TOI. Both had great scoring opps last night. 

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

There hasn't been a coach that's liked Jake since his draft year. 

Not at the WJC

Not Willie

Not Travis. 

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't mention Green at all. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Roussell will be gone before Jake. Both Jake and MacEwen need the TOI. Both had great scoring opps last night. 

I would like Roussel gone as well, but I don't think it's practical unless he has positive value which is debatable. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, N4ZZY said:

I mean, we could have had Nik Ritchie for crying out loud.

I've watched Boston play this year a few times. N.Ritchie is on the Top line & Top PP in Boston.

6 points in 6 games (3g 3a) playing 16:00 + a night.

I'd take N. Ritchie any day over Virtanen. 

Ritchie is trending upwards while Jake...
Pay attention to the whole NHL & you would've realized this too.

https://www.nhl.com/player/nick-ritchie-8477941?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20202021

Last 5 games
Opponent Date G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG S Shifts TOI
PIT JAN 26 1 0 1 -1 2 1 0 2 21 17:09
PHI JAN 23 0 2 2 -1 0 0 0 0 20 16:20
PHI JAN 21 1 1 2 1 0 1 0 2 19 15:22
NYI JAN 18 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 6 17 15:02
NJD JAN 16 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 19 15:07

• Like 1

I think people are too glued to watching the puck that they miss the game that happens around.

Virt - Sutter - Mac has been a very good line.

Watch the game. Just because you do not hear the name being called does not mean he is not doing things.

• Hydration 3
2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I think people are too glued to watching the puck that they miss the game that happens around.

Virt - Sutter - Mac has been a very good line.

Watch the game. Just because you do not hear the name being called does not mean he is not doing things.

Noticed Jake about to make two big hits that the camera missed as it followed the puck.  A lot of the physical game happens off camera.

I like this line, having Big Mack as an effective forechecker gives the line more options

Jake may not be filling the net but he’s not hurting the team either 

• Hydration 1
6 hours ago, bbllpp said:

Jake may not be filling the net but he’s not hurting the team either 

Truth.

Unfortunately, for a guy with the physical attributes and skill he DOES have, "not hurting the team" is a terribly disappointing grade.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
11 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I’d do a Virtanen for Lawson Crouse swap. Maybe Crouse can bring what Virtanen has been lacking. 

I don't think they would trade Jake for a LW

It would be a RW, D or C (smarter players that can play wing- like Team Canada loads up on C on wings)

If they found a RW somewhere, they may do for picks (can you imagine the talk if they traded a 6th overall for a ? pick) probably why he let TT walk and keep Jake?

I don't think they do anything with him until they feel confident in someone else and he loses his spot like Baer and LE appear to have and be a black ace

He isn't a bad player, but like Ferraro said yesterday about him and his lack of consistency and effort, that hard work is a skill, and not everyone can just do the hard work and just don't have that skill. Jake never had to work hard to be drafted, he was just bigger and faster than other kids growing up. it's different when others catch up and eventually pass you

Pretty sure he is what he is, and the team will accept that and have no more high expectations from him or move him in some way

29 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I don't think they would trade Jake for a LW

It would be a RW, D or C (smarter players that can play wing- like Team Canada loads up on C on wings)

If they found a RW somewhere, they may do for picks (can you imagine the talk if they traded a 6th overall for a ? pick) probably why he let TT walk and keep Jake?

I don't think they do anything with him until they feel confident in someone else and he loses his spot like Baer and LE appear to have and be a black ace

He isn't a bad player, but like Ferraro said yesterday about him and his lack of consistency and effort, that hard work is a skill, and not everyone can just do the hard work and just don't have that skill. Jake never had to work hard to be drafted, he was just bigger and faster than other kids growing up. it's different when others catch up and eventually pass you

Pretty sure he is what he is, and the team will accept that and have no more high expectations from him or move him in some way

Jake will continue to be 'passed by' as the prospects become ready for the NHL.  This year, Hogs jumped past him and next season Podz will likely replace him on the 3rd.

Jake has some value; especially his draft position, which a gm may take a chance on (maybe he might think it will turn out the way Ritchie did for Boston).  A trade might motivate Jake, and it would probably help for him to be away from the intensity and attention in Vancouver.

For me, the most apparent need for the team is next season replacement for Sutter.  I just don't see Gaud doing the job.  I would love to see JB pick up Scott Laughton. 

this dude a joke, already needs motivation.  Travis should tell him if you score will get a gift card to all you can eat buffet, guess well know what he was doing in Partyelowna sorry i mean Kelowna

Well I don't know how many folks are still on the Jake bandwagon.  I really hoped and was gunning for us to trade him in the offseason when the asset value could have been pretty high coming off what is likely a high water mark season.  A former former 1st round pick coming off an 18 goal shortened campaign who has size and speed should be able to garner interest, at least in return for taking a bigger bad contract off our hands.  I could be wrong, maybe the whole hockey community already didn't want anything to do with giving up anything for him

Back in February I had mentioned that I wasn't comfortable saying he had "turned a corner" and his increased production was likely just a hot streak and statistical blip... I got roasted for it from all sides.  Since that 5-6 week stretch he has been producing at a 4th line rate.  He had a dismal final stretch of the season (to go along with the dismal start to last season), a worse playoffs, and has already been benched and outhustled and passed this year by a rookie half a foot shorter than him.

Nothing says he is going to be more than he is now.  There is nothing to suggest Green is suddenly going to slot him back onto the PP and into premium top 6 minutes where he can pad some stats.  If he is back in the lineup it will be with lesser players, and unlike Motte (who I also called a fringe NHLer last season... and will continue to eat my words on that one) Jake doesn't seem to be able to produce in those situations.

Unfortunately he is likely at zero trade value now, and may even become a contract liability you can't give away considering the money owed to him next year and his qualifying offer.  Move on from him now is really the best bet to me if you can, it also frees up some space for Podkolzin to come in mid-season who would likely push Jake farther down the depth chart anyways.  An asset sitting on the bench or playing on the 4th line isn't one that will appreciate.

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1

I'm not all together sure you can move him at the money he's being paid. I'd rather have Leivo at half the price or heck maybe Lind or Jasek. How about Hawryluk, I can't recall ever watching the kid but he is supposed to be an energy player. Apart from that if JB has any humanity it would help the kid too.  A fresh start. Hoglander has badly out played him.

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Such a useless player with no hockey IQ will never understand the support he gets on this board...u guyz are all clowns:lol: clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

There were some I thought would go down with the sinking ship. They refused to stare reality in the face :wub:  LOL Juolevi, is another might scrape through as a 3rd pairing but some just cling to fantasy 

• Hydration 2