The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

If that's the deal, would you do it? Even if Boston had to add (what would they add to DeBrusk?)

Depends what Debrusk+ is. A deal that might be interesting would be..

Pearson+Virtanen for Debrusk+Pick+Prospect.

At that point it depends how good the pick and prospect are. Bruins have all their picks this year and IDK what their prospect pool looks like.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Depends what Debrusk+ is. A deal that might be interesting would be..

Pearson+Virtanen for Debrusk+Pick+Prospect.

At that point it depends how good the pick and prospect are. Bruins have all their picks this year and IDK what their prospect pool looks like.

Yeah. I don't know what Bruin's prospects pool is either. 

I could see DeBrusk lining up with Horvat and Höglander. I think that would be an incredible second line. Would have loved to keep Pearson, but DeBrusk at 24 is an upgrade over Pearson. 

Trade Pearson to Boston, only to sign him back to Vancouver during the off-season when he is a UFA. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That’s a player that’s terrified to get caught up ice and get benched.

Green has him playing scared and ineffective. Only way he snaps out of it is a new team or a new coach.

I think that's highly doubtful as the excuse, he can finish a check hard and skate back faster than most

If he has been called out 2x by the GM publicly  how he wants him to play, i am sure he has been told time and time again privately

You don't have to fight, but with your size and speed be a nuisance out there, put the fear into guys and have them rush choices, hit clean and hard, cut to the front of the net, stand in front of the net. You are in the NHL making millions, use what you got and don't be afraid of a bruise for that kind of money

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Green has him playing scared and ineffective. Only way he snaps out of it is a new team or a new coach.

Anybody see the play where Jake turns away from what would have been a massive hit on Lucic along the boards in the neutral zone.  That was Jake being a pro.  Lucic would have had to thank him for passing up on that hit.  I disagree with the whole no hockey IQ thing with Jake.  He made it look easy to play Green's system last night and stayed disciplined.  His size and speed is so tantalizing, we want to see it better utilized by coaching and the player.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

see i disagree, Green has given Jake every opportunity to succeed, more so than any other player. Jake just doesn't want to do the work. although i do have to say parts of last night he was better, and i was cheering him on, but then he reverts to floating.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

My advice for Jake.

Park in the crease and don't move.

It's going to hurt.

It's going to suck. And he has to be willing to do this.

But you screen the goalie with your big frame, or put your stick down for a tap in. 

He would be far more useful. 

The Canucks need to stop trying to cycle behind the net on the attack. You can't score from there. (Unless it's Petey doing magic or Hoagy doing a lacrosse goal)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My advice for Jake.

Park in the crease and don't move.

It's going to hurt.

It's going to suck. And he has to be willing to do this.

But you screen the goalie with your big frame, or put your stick down for a tap in. 

He would be far more useful. 

The Canucks need to stop trying to cycle behind the net on the attack. You can't score from there. (Unless it's Petey doing magic or Hoagy doing a lacrosse goal)

Also.....if you need any visual help in this see:  Burrows.  (All Getty images)

image.png

image.png

image.png

NOTE:  you will become slightly immune to crosschecks over time.    It ain't easy....but somebody's gotta do it.

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Also.....if you need any visual help in this see:  Burrows.  (All Getty images)

image.png

image.png

image.png

NOTE:  you will become slightly immune to crosschecks over time.    It ain't easy....but somebody's gotta do it.

Oh yeah...and don't expect a penalty to be called: unless it's against you!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

That would have been a dumb penalty with the ref standing right there.

Yeah, it legit would've been interference since the Flame didn't have the puck. Such a focus on criticizing by PITB that basic game rules are forgotten.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

That would have been a dumb penalty with the ref standing right there.

Good read by Virtanen, if he threw a hit, he woulda taken a penalty as he could see the numbers the whole way. Instead, he read the body language and positioned himself to potentially intercept a pass, he turned and cut infront of Bennett and put his stick on the ice in anticipation of a pass from Bennett.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Prefer a new coach. I'm all for Gallant to try to get the most out of Virtanen. 

11 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Later in the game I could see Jake was on a short leash .when Beagle and Eriksson were in forechecking , Jake was hanging back in the neutral zone defensively. I thought that line played great and Jake managed 4 shots and 2 hits even though Green was watching him so closely.

I think with Jake the goals will come - his offence will come - but he needs to learn to play defense first. Play good defense, and you're at the very least a reliable player, even if you're not scoring goals. But if you're a defensive liability, then it doesn't matter. He'd need to be scoring goals like a top six player, but even then, playing defense poorly will just drive coaches up the wall.