The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

11 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Good read by Virtanen, if he threw a hit, he woulda taken a penalty as he could see the numbers the whole way. Instead, he read the body language and positioned himself to potentially intercept a pass, he turned and cut infront of Bennett and put his stick on the ice in anticipation of a pass from Bennett.

So he's not as dumb as many make him out to be? /s

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, it legit would've been interference since the Flame didn't have the puck. Such a focus on criticizing by PITB that basic game rules are forgotten.

Flames guy did have a puck but didn't see Virtanen there behind him. You can see how startled he was when Virtanen flew by when he reacted with his stick, he was completely unaware of how close pressure was.

Virtanen could have destroyed him, as the guy was turning into him and not away, but the right play would have been to stick check and strip the guy. It would have been an easy turnover with the unsuspecting player.

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Flames guy did have a puck but didn't see Virtanen there behind him. You can see how startled he was when Virtanen flew by when he reacted with his stick, he was completely unaware of how close pressure was.

Virtanen could have destroyed him, as the guy was turning into him and not away, but the right play would have been to stick check and strip the guy. It would have been an easy turnover with the unsuspecting player.

Look at Hughe's description on the play leading to his goal. He was anticipating the Calgary d-man passing to Gaudreau and realizing the Gaudreau did not realize he was there. A high risk play that worked out for Hughes. He had to be confident that his team mates would cover his position defensively. Is the anticipation on the club that Hughes gets the offensive red light on plays he deems or is there a check off? This is a tough call because team mates are often geared for offence.  

8 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The lack of confidence on the kid is really exposing his lack of hockey IQ.

He's been good defensively in the past but the bad plays are really piling up.

A solid tweener when he's full of confidence, but it may be time to move on while we can get something for him.

I’m not sure we can get anything for him at the moment...if u put up a deal for “future considerations” I bet the other team walks

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Upvote 1

To put his current value in context, this is from the Devon Shore waiver thread.

it is entirely possible/likely you could waive Jake and no one would pick him up at this point. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

You want a kick in the face as a comparison... he has better career numbers than Virtanen in almost exactly the same number of games and seasons.

Shore... 109 points in 299 games for a .36 PPG average

Virtanen... 96 points in 293 games for a .33 PPG average.

Shore plays all three forward positions so that also gives him an edge... Virtanen had better numbers last season, but worse every other season including this year.

Devon Shore cap hit $700k.  Virtanen $2.55 million

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/9509/stats

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/10878/stats

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

To put his current value in context, this is from the Devon Shore waiver thread.

it is entirely possible/likely you could waive Jake and no one would pick him up at this point. 

respectfully that seems like a big stretch to me. Jake would get picked for free by a number of teams. No way does Ottawa pass up that gift e.g. of trying out BT and Jake on a line.  

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

respectfully that seems like a big stretch to me. Jake would get picked for free by a number of teams. No way does Ottawa pass up that gift e.g. of trying out BT and Jake on a line.  

Why would they?  There are better performers to be had for cheaper contracts.

A team would have to believe in him having a bunch of upside to want him even for free.  His cap hit has to be taken into account.  There are solid players passing through waivers because of their bad value.  Jake is underperforming his contract.

His real dollars owed next year is $3.4 million.  That is what would make Ottawa not want him.  They can more efficiently use those dollars in what will be another tight UFA market.  That would be a bad deal for them.  Heck for that much cash you can almost get a Tyler Toffoli

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why would they?  There are better performers to be had for cheaper contracts.

A team would have to believe in him having a bunch of upside to want him even for free.  His cap hit has to be taken into account.  There are solid players passing through waivers because of their bad value.  Jake is underperforming his contract.

His real dollars owed next year is $3.4 million.  That is what would make Ottawa not want him.  They can more efficiently use those dollars in what will be another tight UFA market.

he still has top 6 potential on the right team, thats why. Just my 2 cents but I think you're underselling him. 

6 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Virtanen is a garbage player, everyone needs to give up this top 6 hope.

hey we're trying to trade him 

He has the iq of an almond.

:lol:

He is however serviceable in a bottom 6 role , but only at times he is engaged...

right line.... right coach... dunno, I could still see him producing at a 40-45 pt rate on a top 6 somewhere. Not here, but somewhere. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

right line.... right coach... dunno, I could still see him producing at a 40-45 pt rate on a top 6 somewhere. Not here, but somewhere. 

Guess that is something we can agree on, he won't amount to anything here . 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah sad to say but the most likely route is for him to be moved to another team. Maybe that will be the wake up call he really needs

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he still has top 6 potential on the right team, thats why. Just my 2 cents but I think you're underselling him. 

There can always be a dumb GM who decides they can get more out of a player... but teams don’t generally pay for potential upside on reclamation projects, especially ones that are significantly overpaid for their current production.  They pay for actual production and hope to reap some benefit from the upside.

This is a guy with a single point in 14 games this season and isn’t good defensively to make up for that.  He has had more than 25 points in a season exactly once in his career.  

He has 9 points in 48 games (a 15 point pace over an 82 game season) including playoffs in the calendar year since the start of last February so he is trending downwards.... 

It is at the point in his development  where you can wish in one hand and crap in the other... see which one fills up first.

Edited by Provost