The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I do have to say I was suggesting we move him last year and again at the draft...

Just saying...

Yep... same.  I got roasted when I said that December and January were a statistical blip.

Of course if I had my druthers we would have traded him before last season, so his value wouldn’t have peaked like it did last deadline or offseason.  Probably would have been a 2nd rounder though even then.

I really hoped we could use him to move Eriksson in the “summer”. Imagine the spot we would have been in with $8.5 million cap space to sign Toffoli and whatever players were having a hard time getting a contract

15 hours ago, Provost said:

There can always be a dumb GM who decides they can get more out of a player... but teams don’t generally pay for potential upside on reclamation projects, especially ones that are significantly overpaid for their current production.  They pay for actual production and hope to reap some benefit from the upside.

This is a guy with a single point in 14 games this season and isn’t good defensively to make up for that.  He has had more than 25 points in a season exactly once in his career.  

He has 9 points in 48 games (a 15 point pace over an 82 game season) including playoffs in the calendar year since the start of last February so he is trending downwards.... 

It is at the point in his development  where you can wish in one hand and crap in the other... see which one fills up first.

Jake would hardly be the first tweener to find success in a new situation. 

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

I do have to say I was suggesting we move him last year and again at the draft...

Just saying...

who's to say Jim didn't try? certainly sounded like he was looking for a fit. Hey, if nothing else we can use him for Seattle expansion purposes and protect Motte. 

• Cheers 2

It is interesting to go back to read some of the articles and video clips about JT in New York and and Tampa.  AV sat him quite a bit saying a lot of the same things people say about Jake.  JT's production in NY and Tampa is not unlike Jakes as well.  I hope he can get traded and regain his confidence because I think there is more there but Just like JT (26 years old?) Jake is still able to continue his development in a less toxic fan base.  I have always supported him and wish he could pull it together here but I suppose time will tell.  The year JT played before he came here and he scored 13 goals in 75 games.  Quite a big change for him at 26 or 27 to come here and have the best season of his career.

• Cheers 2

Jake don't care, he's getting paid. Who knows, he might be wanting out, to free himself from constant negative scrutiny in VAN. I hope Green plays him a whole lot, and he has some success over the next few games. The return will be better. I sense a trade coming.

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Being a man among boys.  He has NHL size, speed and shot.... unfortunately he doesn't know how to put it all together consistently to be a regular NHLer.  

I remember at the time of his draft, few drafts experts thought Jake was a 2nd rounder. I wish Benning saw this coming...

angry paul rudd GIF

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I remember at the time of his draft, few drafts experts thought Jake was a 2nd rounder. I wish Benning saw this coming...

angry paul rudd GIF

I can completely understand if he doesn't become a physical top-6.... but he still has the tools to be a decent bottom-6 player a la Raffi Torres or even a speedier Steve Bernier.  

High draft picks that eventually evolved their game to be more crash/bang and buzzing around the net.  

Not sure why Virtanen can't do the same.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I can completely understand if he doesn't become a physical top-6.... but he still has the tools to be a decent bottom-6 player a la Raffi Torres or even a speedier Steve Bernier.  

High draft picks that eventually evolved their game to be more crash/bang and buzzing around the net.  

Not sure why Virtanen can't do the same.  

If he even became a Raffi Torres lite, this fanbase would have been just fine but he can’t even be that. Which makes this whole situation so depressing. He has no identity to his game.
Honestly a pile of rocks would be more effective on the ice thn him. At least if the puck hits the pile of rocks hard enough it could bounce off for a one timer.

Fresh Prince Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

It is interesting to go back to read some of the articles and video clips about JT in New York and and Tampa.  AV sat him quite a bit saying a lot of the same things people say about Jake.  JT's production in NY and Tampa is not unlike Jakes as well.  I hope he can get traded and regain his confidence because I think there is more there but Just like JT (26 years old?) Jake is still able to continue his development in a less toxic fan base.  I have always supported him and wish he could pull it together here but I suppose time will tell.  The year JT played before he came here and he scored 13 goals in 75 games.  Quite a big change for him at 26 or 27 to come here and have the best season of his career.

JT said that Jake reminds him a lot about himself when he was younger. I think what you mentioned is a big part of that.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

JT was -21yrs when he was being scratched by AV.  By the time he was Jake's age, he had 3 consistent years with 22g/+56pts.

When he was traded to the Lightning, he was put on the Stamkos line and scored 10g/18pts in 19 games. The following season, JT struggled in TB because they kept moving him around the lineup, finally settling on the 3rd line.  He totalled 47pts in 75 games and managed to tie the 2 smurfs, despite playing in 6 fewer games.   Last year, he would have been 1st place overall in Lightning points and even this season, while he's having a slow start, he would be 4th in TB.

I don't see much to compare with Jake and JT.  But...I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Living in Vancouver as the homeboy is a huge distraction for Jake.  He is very immature for his age and can easily be led away from (what should be) his greatest career goal.  I think if he could go to another team (far from Vancouver), he could live a normal life; without being under a microscope or living with massively high expectations.  There's no telling what a fresh start could do for him, but certainly the reality of a trade might force his hand to grow up and work harder if he wants an NHL career.   I would really like to see this for Jake.

• Cheers 4

19 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

angry paul rudd GIF

Still there have been lots of good Top NHL players from the 2nd rounds and later playing in the NHL ::D

Doubtful after all his development and time spent on him making him a NHL paid player, that we would even get a 2nd for him:mellow:

• Cheers 1