The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

#6 overall pick. Looking okay as a 4th line crash and bang energy guy?

Wow the expectations have totally disappeared for the #6 pick in 2014.

When MacEwen an undrafted guy is doing better in the same role wake and bake Jake should go.

There's a reason why people's expectations have disappeared: they're stronger minded and know when to get over it. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Move on. We all know he's not as good as a #6 should be and most of us figured that out about two or three years ago. Stop living in the past whining about him not being the next Bertuzzi. Just accept him as a bottom six guy and live in the present instead of complaining about how he's not as good as we wanted him to be when he was drafted 7 years ago.

Yeah, I thought he had a decent game. Ridiculous to whine about how he was acquired 7 years ago. Some people have no concept of sunk cost. Were Bure, Hansen and Burr less valuable because they were 6th and 9th round picks and an undrafted UFA? Were Josh Holden, Nathan Smith, Patrick White, Nicklas Jensen, etc., more valuable because they were 1st round picks? Lol.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, dpn1 said:

It is interesting to go back to read some of the articles and video clips about JT in New York and and Tampa.  AV sat him quite a bit saying a lot of the same things people say about Jake.  JT's production in NY and Tampa is not unlike Jakes as well.  I hope he can get traded and regain his confidence because I think there is more there but Just like JT (26 years old?) Jake is still able to continue his development in a less toxic fan base.  I have always supported him and wish he could pull it together here but I suppose time will tell.  The year JT played before he came here and he scored 13 goals in 75 games.  Quite a big change for him at 26 or 27 to come here and have the best season of his career.

And this is something these haters aren't aware of, or are too stupid to even grasp. I'm not saying he's going to be a 'world beater', but you have to give everyone their best opportunity to succeed. Geez, I'd like to put these micro-managers under a microscope and see how perfect their lives are.Pathetic. Haha! 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Good game from virtanen.  He is so much better when he is assertive and making plays rather than just dumping and chasing. And that back check/takeaway he made in the 3rd was great. Such a shame we can't always count on an effort like that every night. 

1 hour ago, austy said:

Good game from virtanen.  He is so much better when he is assertive and making plays rather than just dumping and chasing. And that back check/takeaway he made in the 3rd was great. Such a shame we can't always count on an effort like that every night. 

And he is those players that plays better with more minutes

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Move on. We all know he's not as good as a #6 should be and most of us figured that out about two or three years ago. Stop living in the past whining about him not being the next Bertuzzi. Just accept him as a bottom six guy and live in the present instead of complaining about how he's not as good as we wanted him to be when he was drafted 7 years ago.

Yeah? What about Nick Ritchie? Similar size power forward and draft position. Putting up decent numbers in Boston after a trade and leaving the west coast.

Virtanen may be better shipped to a team like Florida where there would be no pressure on him.

He will never live up to 6th overall just like Juolevi too. Doesn't mean he shouldn't have to shoulder any reasonable responsibility whatsoever. 

He should have expectations to contribute at a consistent 3rd line level at minimum. Production wise and overall game play and effort.

His consistency is not there he lacks the hands and hockey IQ and maturity. He seems to not have a defined role in his mind on who is as a player and how he needs to play to be successful.

He had 1 good season in junior where he looked like a sniper and his raw size, speed, and shot covered his deficiencies in all other aspects of his game.

He hasn't grown much on and off the ice. But a trade us definitely the best for the Canucks and Virtanen.

And no I never expected him to be the next Bertuzzi maybe J.J Dagneault because he was drafted as an already injured player getting shoulder surgery.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Anaheim, Vancouver Discussing Jake Virtanen Trade

February 27, 2021 at 4:41 pm CDT | by Zach Leach 1 Comment

Normally Pacific Division rivals, the Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks are nevertheless discussing a trade that would send underperforming young forward Jake Virtanen further down the Pacific coast. According to multiple sources, the two teams continue to negotiate what the exchange of packages may look like. A flurry of information over the past hour or two implies that talks are very much still ongoing and public nature of the trade discussion is often a strong indicator that a deal of some sort will get done. However, The Athletic’s Thomas Drance writes that while the Canucks and Ducks are “grinding away”, a deal is not imminent for now.

Virtanen’s name as the headliner of this trade should come as no surprise. He has been one of the most verified members of the trade block this season, with whispers of Vancouver’s impatience with his lack of production dating back to last season. It’s difficult to blame the Cancucks for being upset with Virtanen to the point of wanting to move on; the 24-year-old was the sixth overall pick in 2014 and plays with the size and skill to be a dynamic power forward. Virtanen was seen as one of the safest bets in his draft class, yet six years later has shown too much floor and not enough ceiling. Although 2019-20 marked a career year for Virtanen with new highs in goals and points, it still only amounted to 18 goals and 36 points whilst his checking game diminished. After earning 55 NHL games as a rookie in 2015-16, the Canucks’ first sign that Virtanen’s effort and reliability may become a question came the following season, when he only played in ten NHL games and spent the rest of the season producing pedestrian numbers in the AHL. At the top level ever since, Virtanen has only managed 20 points, 25 points, and the aforementioned 36 points in his first three full NHL seasons.

The final straw for GM Jim Benning and company has been Virtanen’s play so far this season. The obviously talented forward has failed to meet expectations before, but this time the disparity is too great. Virtanen has just one point in 19 games despite ample opportunity early on in the campaign. As a result, Virtanen has now been relegated to a fourth line role, a poor fit for a player of his offensive ability but who also too frequently plays without energy. Unable to motivate their young forward and without a fit in the lineup, Vancouver is looking to move on.

The Ducks make sense as a partner in a Virtanen trade for many reason. Anaheim’s roster, though it includes a number of established veterans, is largely in a rebuild. The team has acquired a large group of young pro options and are in the process of evaluating who they do and do not want to build around as their new core. Unfortunately, veterans and youngsters alike have been underperforming in Anaheim, last year and early this season. The Ducks are understandably willing to take on a high-upside risk in Virtanen given that they have scoring opportunity to spare in their ever-changing lineup and are looking for top talent to build around.

There are a number of potential underachieving young forwards who could be off to Vancouver in exchange, but it seems that one name in particular has emerged as a definite inclusion. Both The Athletic’s Rick Dhaliwal (link) and Sportsnet’s Nick Alberga (link) report that forward Danton Heinen is expected to be moving to Vancouver in the potential trade. A fellow member of the 2014 draft class, though as an unheralded fourth-rounder of the Boston Bruins, Heinen has nonetheless found slightly more success than Virtanen. However, his numbers are trending in the wrong direction. After a 47-point rookie season in 2017-18, Heinen fell to 34 points the next year and ultimately fell out of favor in Boston last season, dealt to Anaheim for Nick Ritchie at the trade deadline. Heinen has recorded 10 points in 26 games across two seasons so far for Anaheim – a 32-point full-season pace – indicating that his scoring may not jump back up to near-50 and beyond with the Ducks either. Vancouver appears willing to take the chance on the British Columbia native though, perhaps with some added insight from former Bruins executive Benning. Whether or not he fits the description of the “young forward” that the club has been hunting for depends on your definition of the word.

Of course, if this was a simple one-for-one deal, it would be done by now. According to multiple sources, both players seem to be aware that they are included in the potential trade, but work still needs to be done on the additional pieces. TSN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that balancing the books may be part of the problem, though Virtanen carries a $2.55MM cap hit this year (and next) while Heinen sits at $2.8MM, so there is not much an impactful discrepancy, even for two cap-strapped clubs. Drance notes that Vancouver was insistent on getting current value back for Virtanen, rather than just a pick or prospect to dump his salary, but Anaheim may be looking for more as a result of giving up a roster asset and taking on an additional contract year. Regardless of the reason for the deal not being completed, the two sides appear close and continue to talk. Stay tuned for more.

From,

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/02/anaheim-vancouver-discussing-jake-virtanen-trade.html

Edited by x00x

56 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

No one is giving you a player and a substantial pick for Jake

Perhaps but trading Jake for Danton straight across is a lousy trade for the Canucks.

I would not make that trade unless at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick was added to the deal. I see no up tic potential in Heinen but Jake, with the right team and coach could make the trade look really bad for the Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 2/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, Chip Kelly said:

#6 overall pick. Looking okay as a 4th line crash and bang energy guy?

Wow the expectations have totally disappeared for the #6 pick in 2014.

When MacEwen an undrafted guy is doing better in the same role wake and bake Jake should go.

Wake and bake Jake lmao!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps but trading Jake for Danton straight across is a lousy trade for the Canucks.

I would not make that trade unless at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick was added to the deal. I see no up tic potential in Heinen but Jake, with the right team and coach could make the trade look really bad for the Canucks.

Virtanen has 1 point in 19 games. You're not going to get much for him at this point.  Heinen is only a year older and has been trending downward a bit, but still produces decently.

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Virtanen has 1 point in 19 games. You're not going to get much for him at this point.  Heinen is only a year older and has been trending downward a bit, but still produces decently.

I am not just looking at this years performance by Jake as it is rather obvious that he has given up trying to fit in here. I still think he is capable of getting back to being a 20 to 35 point player with the right coach and team. I'm not so sure that Heinen will ever be that again. His ppg has steadily declined during his playing years in both Boston and now in Anaheim.

Other than an off year in 2016-17 and then again this year; Jake's ppg numbers have improved since he first broke into the league.

I am no fan of Jake but I also think it would be a mistake by management to make what I think is a poor deal for the Canucks. Something needs to be added to sweeten the pot so to speak in order for this trade to be palatable.

Personally I would prefer that Virtanen be packaged with either a pick or mid level prospect to a team out East for a higher end player than Heinen in return.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Thanks 1

Worse case scenario for the Canucks, and there's been plenty of them this season. 

Well, it might finally be time for Virtanen to pack his bags and move away. He'll probably flourish somewhere else - like Anaheim, and then haunt us for years after that. 

Hopefully not, but Jim's trades and his history with them have me worried that he's going to get fleeced with any sort of deal he's going to make. 

Who the heck is Heinen anyways?