The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, grimmjaw said:

Lol you idiots think Virtanen is a 2nd player now.

I still see the same problems in hockey IQ the day he was drafted. The only change I have noticed recently is his effort because he is on the trade block which is good cause even if Virtanen scores 30 goals this season, trade him because it will be an outlier year. 

You always want to sell high and buy low like stonks.

Speaking of stonks... GME to the moon

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canucksince99 said:

Finally someone that agrees with me lol. Jake should honestly be playing more than Pearson right now and Pearson should be flipped before the deadline. Jake takes his spot with ease on the left side next season. 

LOL probably the reason why you're wrong. Jake was given every oppurtunity to succeed the last 6 seasons playing up and down the line up. Jake had ONE dominant game, big woop, before that the guy has been invisible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grimmjaw said:

I still see the same problems in hockey IQ the day he was drafted. The only change I have noticed recently is his effort because he is on the trade block which is good cause even if Virtanen scores 30 goals this season, trade him because it will be an outlier year. 

Yup, they think just because Jake had his little 2 goal game, all of a sudden "hes starting to get it now". I hope he keeps it up so we can ship Nerfgun Jake out of here and get more than just a bag of pucks

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Greener knows Jake for many, many years. There is a good reason why Greener gives Pearson more minutes per game than he hands to Jake. One reason is obvious: it's consistency. Pearson brings his game each and every night whereas Jake takes not only shifts off but also games. Greener has been given Jake top 6 opportunity countless times but Jake couldn't take advantage of it. There is a reason why Jake has been in the rumour mill over the last couple of months.

This. Jake has had his opportunities, but has chosen not to take advantage of them. He is playing strong now because he knows his lack of effort has him a hairs distance from the door, but I am highly doubtful he will keep it up.

I hope he plays lights out.

Buy low, sell high.

As a side note, if I was one of our players working my ass off out there every game like Green insists I do, and then Jake saunters in and gets my ice time with his typical uninspired play, I'm going to be a little pissed. 

I believe I see it in clips of the player interactions and on the bench - I kinda feel like Virtanen is the odd man out... off the ice as well as on. I feel a team needs to be in sync and a complete unit, and as much as I've rooted for Jake since his arrival, I can't wait to see his spot filled with a guy who brings it every night.

Podkolzin anyone?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, grimmjaw said:

He's been playing well enough to earn himself some 2nd line mins, while Pearson hasn't been as good as he was, is what I think people are alluding to. 

BTW, maybe form some proper sentence structure, and spell check your s**t before you start calling people idiots. Makes you look like a prick. lol

• Cheers 1

Gaudette bumps onto the 2nd line and all of a sudden scores a clutch goal, not to mention a nice chance he had set up in the slot where he could have scored. Meanwhile, it doesn't matter where Jake goes, he sucks the offensive life out of the line.

He needs to play consistently on a 3rd line with some north-south forwards. I thought Miller and Boeser would be good linemates for him but they're just too fast and good and Virtanen loses puck possession too much. The times he's played with Pettersson they've both let each other down - Petey doesn't maintain possession well and Virtanen isn't good enough to get it back or get into a decent scoring spot.

I think leave Virtanen with Sutter on the 3rd line and rotate their winger, someone who has some offensive flair would be ideal like Motte.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Gaudette bumps onto the 2nd line and all of a sudden scores a clutch goal, not to mention a nice chance he had set up in the slot where he could have scored. Meanwhile, it doesn't matter where Jake goes, he sucks the offensive life out of the line.

He needs to play consistently on a 3rd line with some north-south forwards. I thought Miller and Boeser would be good linemates for him but they're just too fast and good and Virtanen loses puck possession too much. The times he's played with Pettersson they've both let each other down - Petey doesn't maintain possession well and Virtanen isn't good enough to get it back or get into a decent scoring spot.

I think leave Virtanen with Sutter on the 3rd line and rotate their winger, someone who has some offensive flair would be ideal like Motte.

After all these years, there is only one more try left. Podkoldzin so far has been a better play matcher than scorer. Maybe Podkoldzin will set Virtanen up for goals. Other than than that,  I give up. 

4 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

He's been playing well enough to earn himself some 2nd line mins, while Pearson hasn't been as good as he was, is what I think people are alluding to. 

BTW, maybe form some proper sentence structure, and spell check your s**t before you start calling people idiots. Makes you look like a prick. lol

Pearson points are way down  as are Jakes. a couple of games ago Jake got 5 hits , thats great but no sog, last night 2 sog on and one little hit. sorry but that is not 2nd line either. Pearson works hard every night and Jake is trying but he is still floating out there and wait for the puck to come to him. he needs to fight for the puck like Pearson does

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Pearson points are way down  as are Jakes. a couple of games ago Jake got 5 hits , thats great but no sog, last night 2 sog on and one little hit. sorry but that is not 2nd line either. Pearson works hard every night and Jake is trying but he is still floating out there and wait for the puck to come to him. he needs to fight for the puck like Pearson does

If you would read the last 8 words of my first line, you would see that I was referring to what others were saying. Merely pointing out to a new poster that having a discussion instead of calling people idiots is the better way to go.

IMO, neither have been playing to their potential, or well enough to be a bonafide 2nd liner.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, they think just because Jake had his little 2 goal game, all of a sudden "hes starting to get it now". I hope he keeps it up so we can ship Nerfgun Jake out of here and get more than just a bag of pucks

Nope.

He has been having a good year. He just missed his shot the other night. His positioning has been good and he has been hitting. He is playing a 200 ft game. 

But then you are one of those posters that probably thinks Gaudette is great and ready to replace Sutter. 

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

20 hours ago, bree2 said:

You are not watching enough games

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I usually like your opinion but miller and bb6 too fast? Lol

On 3/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, filthycanuck said:

LOL probably the reason why you're wrong. Jake was given every oppurtunity to succeed the last 6 seasons playing up and down the line up. Jake had ONE dominant game, big woop, before that the guy has been invisible

That's the problem. When he had his point/goal streak last year (according to most people here), guess which lines he played on? He was top 6, i think he even had like a 5/6 goal streak. And then once his goal streak ended, he got demoted back to third line and then he started struggling. I mean it's quite disheartening. 

Hasn't generated much offensively, but you can see the confidence in his game. He is making some really good decisions with and without the puck, and is playing a committed 200 foot game. Who knows perhaps, he may be the long term fit beside Bo, plays a very similar style.

• Cheers 1

Jake's been playing well with good energy and skating well, but he just doesn't have the offensive IQ and skills to be in any team's top-6 unfortunately. I think it's time he tried to change his game to suit a bottom-6 checking role - play better defensively, use the skating to play well on the PK, throw the body more and don't worry about scoring because it's not happening anyway.

I fear if he doesn't and just keeps trying to be the top-line speedy scoring winger (that he used to be in junior) that he isn't, he's going to end up out of the team and rightly so because we have other forwards who deserve those minutes coming through who will be able to score. He's getting yet another chance in our top-6 due to injuries right now and is nowhere near the puck when Bo and Pearson have a scoring chance.

Gaudette is worse defensively and positionally than Virtanen but I think has more offensive IQ, better hands and a better shot so would like to see these two guys swapped. No idea why Gaudette is in a checking role because he sucks at it, but he brings much more offence than Virtanen does.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jake's been playing well with good energy and skating well, but he just doesn't have the offensive IQ and skills to be in any team's top-6 unfortunately. I think it's time he tried to change his game to suit a bottom-6 checking role - play better defensively, use the skating to play well on the PK, throw the body more and don't worry about scoring because it's not happening anyway.

I fear if he doesn't and just keeps trying to be the top-line speedy scoring winger (that he used to be in junior) that he isn't, he's going to end up out of the team and rightly so because we have other forwards who deserve those minutes coming through who will be able to score. He's getting yet another chance in our top-6 due to injuries right now and is nowhere near the puck when Bo and Pearson have a scoring chance.

Gaudette is worse defensively and positionally than Virtanen but I think has more offensive IQ, better hands and a better shot so would like to see these two guys swapped. No idea why Gaudette is in a checking role because he sucks at it, but he brings much more offence than Virtanen does.

IMO a big part of Jake’s future will be on the d-side playing a heavy game. CUP competitive teams have to have a heavy game and the Canucks are not good enough yet. Jake does have offensive upside. He has a superior shot and excellent board battle. His limitations are mental.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO a big part of Jake’s future will be on the d-side playing a heavy game. CUP competitive teams have to have a heavy game and the Canucks are not good enough yet. Jake does have offensive upside. He has a superior shot and excellent board battle. His limitations are mental.

And maybe a coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

And maybe a coach.

For sure, you always wonder about utilization. However if it was only about his coaching then you would have though another org would have acquired him. His value moves up and down more than the stock market. 

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Jake Virtanen vs a slightly tired McDavid. Still impressive. His IQ is actually not bad at all. Look how he protects this puck away from McDavid. Very effective.

jv18-race.gif.efba480bff6d8a827e181050c54ea593.gif

I love how the haters try and call him slow :bigblush:McJebus had a slight lead and Jake still left him behind.

ps: was that slash in the hands called?

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Cheers 2