The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Was a dumb penalty to take at the time, but part of me loled when he jabbed Toffoli in the chops.

I think he is starting to understand how to play a consistent 200 ft game. I haven't hated his level of play as of late, maybe he is learning i dont know.

if you're going to do that, at least make it hurt. Was pretty stupid tho. 

I was more pissed at the Myers missed call. 

On 3/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, guntrix said:

Discussions about Jake instantly become less attractive the moment you realize this is more about posters not wanting to admit that they’ve been wrong about Virtanen over the past 7 years. 

I don't think being right or wrong is much of a factor; it's more of an unwavering belief that Jake will live up to the expectations of a 6th overall pick.  Many fans have jumped off that wagon to get away from the constant disappointment.  Recently, we have seen those people turn on him so severely that they don't even think Jake is an NHL player.

Let's face it, if Jake were picked 28th overall, this thread would have way fewer posts and most people would be happy with what he brings to the team.  The lack of notoriety and negative attention would probably be beneficial to his game as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think being right or wrong is much of a factor; it's more of an unwavering belief that Jake will live up to the expectations of a 6th overall pick.  Many fans have jumped off that wagon to get away from the constant disappointment.  Recently, we have seen those people turn on him so severely that they don't even think Jake is an NHL player.

Let's face it, if Jake were picked 28th overall, this thread would have way fewer posts and most people would be happy with what he brings to the team.  The lack of notoriety and negative attention would probably be beneficial to his game as well.

It's not that I don't agree but the 6 OA draft position will always be tied to Jake. To ignore it is too convenient imo.

The very same people who argue against measuring Jake against his draft position laugh at the Isles for drafting Dal Colle and at the Oilers for drafting Yakupov. You can't have it both ways.  

I agree that had Jake been picked 28 OA fans' attitude towards him would be different, simply because the expectations would be different. Unfortunately for Jake that wasn't the case.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

It's not that I don't agree but the 6 OA draft position will always be tied to Jake. To ignore it is too convenient imo.

The very same people who argue against measuring Jake against his draft position laugh at the Isles for drafting Dal Colle and at the Oilers for drafting Yakupov. You can't have it both ways.  

I agree that had Jake been picked 28 OA fans' attitude towards him would be different, simply because the expectations would be different. Unfortunately for Jake that wasn't the case.

So holding a player who was chosen at 6 th OA personally responsible for that choice, to me seems utterly laughable. Personnel attacks on his skill level and more so  private life outside of hockey is brought up in conversations with out disregard continually over the course of this thread. For what purpose? The same negative points brought up over and over again now leak into other players threads used mostly with  negative implications. Jake is what Jake is, a talented enough young man with abilities that got him a career playing hockey and that should be enough. Because others chose him at 6 th is not on him. As a side note for what he gets paid is right on par for what he contributes. To me, this thread seems to be very unhealthy as a fanbase. Seems to mimic the media perfectly. Scary. I do fully agree to the saying Opinions are like @$$****, sooo  this is just my opinion. GCG

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Dannydog said:

So holding a player who was chosen at 6 th OA personally responsible for that choice, to me seems utterly laughable. Personnel attacks on his skill level and more so  private life outside of hockey is brought up in conversations with out disregard continually over the course of this thread. For what purpose? The same negative points brought up over and over again now leak into other players threads used mostly with  negative implications. Jake is what Jake is, a talented enough young man with abilities that got him a career playing hockey and that should be enough. Because others chose him at 6 th is not on him. As a side note for what he gets paid is right on par for what he contributes. To me, this thread seems to be very unhealthy as a fanbase. Seems to mimic the media perfectly. Scary. I do fully agree to the saying Opinions are like @$$****, sooo  this is just my opinion. GCG

I have a tendency to agree with this. It wasn't Virtanen's fault that the Canucks chose him at 6th overall. He was, and the reality is that he hasn't lived up to his draft position. I agree that if he had been picked later in the first round, nobody would be complaining about how he's playing. It is what it is at this point and stage of his career. He's a useful player in the middle six and bottom six. Not that great as a top six forward. He can fill in at the top six for a limited time while the top players are down with injury, but to expect him to maintain and sustain top six production, at this stage, is unreasonable. Virtanen is what he is - a useful, NHL player that can play up and down the line up. He won't produce 60 points a season. I'm happy if he can play defensively responsible, and produce 30-40 points. Good enough for me, all things considered. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, guntrix said:

I have never done that. It is what it is.

12 hours ago, rotiman187 said:

How is he still in the lineup? Just saw him trying to dump the puck in from the Habs blueline, he hit the dman and the habs got a scoring chance going the other way. This is how bad he has become. 

In Jake's defence, the whole team did this last night and he did score a big goal at the time. The rest of his game was yes, average though. He's getting basically top line opportunities at the moment, minutes still down at 12-15 but he's skating with our best center. Can't ask for much more than that.

I've said it before and watching Gaudette skate and shoot, I'll say it again, swap these two. Virtanen with Roussel and Gaudette with Horvat and we might generate a bit more offence.

13 hours ago, rotiman187 said:

How is he still in the lineup? Just saw him trying to dump the puck in from the Habs blueline, he hit the dman and the habs got a scoring chance going the other way. This is how bad he has become. 

He hasn't exactly f***ed up any more than the rest of the team. Seems you're looking for any mistake to criticize him on, and you can literally do that with any other Canuck. Edler screened Holtby twice on goals against, Miller gave the puck up in his own zone and gave up a good scoring chance without even trying to get back in the play, Hughes gambles on his pinches too often, Sutter can't seem to ever get the puck out of his own zone, etc... could go on for days.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

He hasn't exactly f***ed up any more than the rest of the team. Seems you're looking for any mistake to criticize him on, and you can literally do that with any other Canuck. Edler screened Holtby twice on goals against, Miller gave the puck up in his own zone and gave up a good scoring chance without even trying to get back in the play, Hughes gambles on his pinches too often, Sutter can't seem to ever get the puck out of his own zone, etc... could go on for days.

That's exactly it. Everyone turns a blind eye to other players. Even though Miller has been scoring clutch goals, he has been giving away the puck way too many times (esp with blind passes and up the middle) while when Jake does it once (even if he tries hard to steal it back) people complain and say he is the worst player ever. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rotiman187 said:

still better than this post however

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

The difference is the rest of those players show up to most games. Guess virtanen single goal last night is enough to keep him in the lineup for the rest of the year for you. 

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In Jake's defence, the whole team did this last night and he did score a big goal at the time. The rest of his game was yes, average though. He's getting basically top line opportunities at the moment, minutes still down at 12-15 but he's skating with our best center. Can't ask for much more than that.

I've said it before and watching Gaudette skate and shoot, I'll say it again, swap these two. Virtanen with Roussel and Gaudette with Horvat and we might generate a bit more offence.

except Gaudette is centering our 4th line at the moment

and is looking pretty good doing so

Maybe if we want Gaudette to become our 3C we should let him work some bugs out as 4C

1 hour ago, lmm said:

except Gaudette is centering our 4th line at the moment

and is looking pretty good doing so

Maybe if we want Gaudette to become our 3C we should let him work some bugs out as 4C

Nah Greener' is making the playoff push to get his new contract, Bump Sutter to the 4th line.

There  is a decent group of forward options if healthy. 

Vesey-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Hoglander-Petersson-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Hawryluk

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Nah Greener' is making the playoff push to get his new contract, Bump Sutter to the 4th line.

There  is a decent group of forward options if healthy. 

Vesey-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Hoglander-Petersson-Gaudette

Motte-Sutter-Hawryluk

ya looks good

any thoughts on the injureds return dates?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

ya looks good

any thoughts on the injureds return dates?

That is the big question though.

Petersson hopefully  back in a week last I read?

Pearson who knows how long could be out for a month.

NHL refuses to force teams to give accurate injury reports like the NFL does. Majorly annoying if you play fantasy hockey or want to wager on these games when you find out last minute who is in and out of the lineup.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

That is the big question though.

Petersson hopefully  back in a week last I read?

Pearson who knows how long could be out for a month.

NHL refuses to force teams to give accurate injury reports like the NFL does. Majorly annoying if you play fantasy hockey or want to wager on these games when you find out last minute who is in and out of the lineup.

ya, because covid

• Huggy Bear 1