The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Gotta buy out Loui beofre Jake. Offensivley, he has struggled mightily this year. However, the last few games he has thrown some bone crunhcing hits on Nylander and Chabot. I doubt we buy him out. But that is just my opinion. I hope we keep him around for his final contract year if Seattle doesn't take him. He is a solid bottom 6 player who can fill in on the PP and top 6 if needed and if he turns his game around we can either hang onto him as a utility forward or trade him heopefully, rather than a buyout.

A bone crunching hit would have killed Nylander.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I think it has.  If Seattle doesn't take him, I can't see him back next year, and I can't see much of a market for him.  We are going to have to make a few tough moves to make the cap work next year, can we really have 2.5 tied up on a guy who have 7 points in his last 50 games?

ugh. 

I guess we can try waivers first. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think it has.  If Seattle doesn't take him, I can't see him back next year, and I can't see much of a market for him.  We are going to have to make a few tough moves to make the cap work next year, can we really have 2.5 tied up on a guy who have 7 points in his last 50 games?

If Seattle doesn't pick Jake, and no trade can be made for him, the only option as I see it is to buy him out.  Doing so gives the team $2.5M cap relief in 2021-22 and adds $500K cap liability in 2022-23 and hits FA $1.4M is cash. 

I would buy out Jake if Seattle doesn't take him and there is no deal to be had.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Gotta buy out Loui beofre Jake. Offensivley, he has struggled mightily this year. However, the last few games he has thrown some bone crunhcing hits on Nylander and Chabot. I doubt we buy him out. But that is just my opinion. I hope we keep him around for his final contract year if Seattle doesn't take him. He is a solid bottom 6 player who can fill in on the PP and top 6 if needed and if he turns his game around we can either hang onto him as a utility forward or trade him heopefully, rather than a buyout.

This is true.  Two bone crunching hits in two consecutive games.  This is unheard of for Jake.  It's exciting too see, but more than that it's a totally disheartening reminder of the player that we thought that we were getting when Jake was drafted.... but never did.

4 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Amazingly, Nylander's hair didn't even shift even though his body bent under the brute force of the check.

I know Nylander comes off a bit arrogant and as a floater, but man he's got skills and he's not as soft as people say, goes to the net and didn't even leave the ice after that heavy hit, instead driving play in the other zone on the same shift.

I think by this point we all know Jake makes... questionable decisions. Consistently.

But you would think he would still get the basics down that play to his attributes. Hitting. Chasing down the puck with his speed, and using his strength to win battles along the boards.

But somehow, despite being blessed with these tools he can't show more than glimpses of these basics.... let alone meet expectations to actually wrack up the points. If he's not scoring, he should be throwing 3 or 4 of those big hits every game. He should be making life miserable for the opponents. Instead, he takes needless penalties and otherwise plays fairly invisibly, all things considered.

I supported Jake as a pick. I felt that while he didn't have the flash of Nylander that he had the kind of size and speed that would make him an elite 3rd liner if he didn't meet his potential as a top 6 guy. We needed size and grit.

Guess we needed heart as well.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, J-P said:

I know Nylander comes off a bit arrogant and as a floater, but man he's got skills and he's not as soft as people say, goes to the net and didn't even leave the ice after that heavy hit, instead driving play in the other zone on the same shift.

Nylander is certainly a talented player. I just think he needs a haircut and this shedding of locks would only make him faster and shiftier!

Hope JV lays a huge check again tonight and even pots a goal for the fans to shotgun ;)

• Cheers 3

The remaining games of this season may Jake’s last opportunity to show that he stays with the Canucks.

I thought he would have put together a complete game by now.

Perhaps a move for him at the ED and Draft.

I think Green has been patient enough and given him fair time.

Im sure his minutes will go up as we finish the season to see if he sticks or not.

Edited by SilentSam

3 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

If only his teammates or linemates finished their chances. 

There's one other forward in the whole NHL that's played semi regularly that also doesn't have an assist. 

At some point it's on him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

If only his teammates or linemates finished their chances. 

If comment^^^^^is sarcastic - yah, I agree.  If Jake only had better and more offensively gifted linemates to play with, he wouldn't have a big fat donut under the assist column.

If comment^^^^^is for real - ahhh no.  Plays go to die on Jake Virtanen's stick. 

I have been an ardent Jake Virtanen supporter, but the time has come to cut him loose. He's sorely lacking on hockey intelligence, creativity, abrasiveness/agitation, puck skills, and takes the momentum-killer crown (in another words, he's a dunce on the ice).  He's improved on the hitting and positional play, but he doesn't do nearly enough to be a regular roster player.  It's time to move on from Virtanen.  Fingers crossed the Kraken take him in the expansion draft.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

Watching the game last night it seems obvious that JV needs a desperate change in scenery. He has had ample opportunity to show he wants to stay and make a difference on the team.  Unfortunately at this point it doesn't seem like he is ever going to put it all together for us.

He might end up in Seattle or another team and find his game, I just don't think it's going to be with Vancouver.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Virtanen really needs to cut out the careless, undisciplined penalties. I have no issue with him taking a few penalties from crossing the line, when it comes to being aggressive and physical, or just bringing a pest factor, but the lazy ones are just momentum killers, and so unnecessary.

His saving grace is that he also draws a lot of penalties. But he still can’t afford to take the lazy, careless ones (and he’s a negative differential this season).

Jake isn’t JT Miller. Miller also takes a lot of bad penalties, and more than he draws, but he makes up for it on the scoreboard (although I’d still like JT to clean up his game and play more disciplined).

Unless Jake gets back to “shotgun Jake” and becomes a regular 20 goal scorer, he just doesn’t provide enough value on ice to make up for the dumb penalties he takes (and many of his other lapses in judgment, at both ends of the ice). Certainly not this season, where he’s not creating nearly enough offence to forgive him for a negative penalty differential, with a high percentage of his penalties being of the lazy and careless variety.

It’s really a shame though, because when Jake is at his best, he’s really a handful out there, creates a lot of positive flow and possession, draws penalties, and creates chances. Even when he’s not scoring, “good Jake” provides positive value. But “bad Jake” can be a serious drag on the team. And “bad Jake” with anaemic scoring is just a waste of time and space on a roster, unfortunately (especially at his cap hit and salary next year).

Hopefully he figures it out, but I’ve also been saying that for a half dozen seasons or so.

Yes, but how many games have we seen Jake "at his best"? He's never shown any consistency in the 7 years he's played in Vancouver. It's sooooo frustrating to watch him out there, a step behind the play, a lazy penalty, a missed attempt at a hit, when its there for him to take. I'm not seeing NHL calibre hockey player in Jake at all. He reminds me so much of Kassian.

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If comment^^^^^is sarcastic - yah, I agree.  If Jake only had better and more offensively gifted linemates to play with, he wouldn't have a big fat donut under the assist column.

If comment^^^^^is for real - ahhh no.  Plays go to die on Jake Virtanen's stick. 

I have been an ardent Jake Virtanen supporter, but the time has come to cut him loose. He's sorely lacking on hockey intelligence, creativity, abrasiveness/agitation, puck skills, and takes the momentum-killer crown (in another words, he's a dunce on the ice).  He's improved on the hitting and positional play, but he doesn't do nearly enough to be a regular roster player.  It's time to move on from Virtanen.  Fingers crossed the Kraken take him in the expansion draft.

When did you decide to cut him loose? Was it before he was offered his new contract ?

Why i ask is if you were pushing for keeping TT and let Jake walk instead, I would consider you for our next GM of vision ;)

Think the Canucks are in tough with him and were afraid of letting a #6 o/a just walk after investing so much into him, maybe they thought they should have got more for a trade (if one was offered)?, now they get nothing with Kraken taking him? 

Maybe the change of scenery is the best for him to change his own game (and Seattle is still close for his friends and family)

If he excels, all the JV supporters will say I told you so, it just took time ;)

But, at the same time he wasn't doing it here while given the chance and younger cheaper determined guys will hopefully replace him

The league is full of high draft picks with promise that never pan out (Pouliot etc.) - That don't come back to haunt you, you just need to see by their commitment and desire to be better, when to maximise your investment and not let ego or fear cloud your judgement and know when to let go

Edited by ba;;isticsports

314  regular  season games played, with 16 in the playoffs

54 goals 45 assists reg season, and 2 goals 1 assist in playoffs.

How many more games do people have to watch before they understand the guy IS an NHL player?

He may not be as good as they want, but he is a player.

• Cheers 3