The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

My son sent me a message telling me about this yesterday and I was shocked.  It was before it was posted here but I feel it's not really fair to share tweets/stuff until something official is published because it's all hearsay.  Even now...nothing has proven him guilty.

But Jake has likely used up his 9 lives here...he's innocent until proven guilty but because he puts himself in situations that create a buzz, he's become pretty high maintenance.  A big distraction who doesn't do enough to warrant keeping him.  If this IS proven true, it explains everything for me.  

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Something was clearly up when that tweet was out and then he wasn't at the morning skate.  It is fair game to discuss now that there has been something official, vs.  some random person copying and pasting an unattributed post.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-place-jake-virtanen-on-leave-after-sexual-misconduct-allegation-1.1632712

Regardless of the veracity of this particular claim, the guy has been nothing but a dummy pretty much right from the start.  He gets the benefit of due process, but the accuser also gets to be believed.  Bunches of first hand accounts of him partying hard and acting badly, don't earn him much benefit of the doubt. 

Now his agent is going to have to get some PR stuff going for damager control and maybe put him in rehab or something.

Welcome to playing in Europe Jake!  The KHL is much more your speed.

Shame on Benning for qualifying this guy and letting other high character guys like Stecher go.  That line about wanting high character guys who love to play the game... it is only convenient when they want to justify overpaying someone.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Provost said:

Whenever someone uses "pace" it is an excuse for "not really that number"...that is someone trying to massage the data to make it look like something other than it is.  He doesn't get paid per 82 games, he gets paid for whole seasons.

You also neglect to note his points total... he gets virtually no assists.

His goals are 10, 15, 18, and 5 over the past 4 seasons... not a perennial 18 goal scorer

His points are 20, 25. 36, 5 over the past 4 seasons.

That is despite getting plenty of looks in the top 6 and PP time.  He isn't good at producing points... and that is his best attribute.

How the goals are distributed is immensely important as you can predict repeatability.  If Jeff Cowan gets 10 goals in 10 games... he isn't an 80 goal scorer.

Jake has 22 points since the start of last February. in 72 games played.

Of course pace matters-provided you are working with a relevant sample size. Do you think Eichel is a 2 goal scorer? Ugh, there is so much wrong here that I can't be bothered to address it all.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Hydration 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:23 PM, Warhippy said:

@Law of Goalies your smarmy one liners and ridiculous attitude about the situation are charming but infantile.  Jake has worn his welcome out and his on ice attitude and effort show that.  You don't have to believe a single jot of what people say about the guy, I could care less.  But at this point in time he's dead weight and all the power to him finding himself somewhere else.  He's played himself off the roster under his own merit this year

Gonna have to take Law of Goalies off my ignore list for a while.  Can't wait to see what sort of rhetoric he writes about Virtanen. 

• Hydration 1

9 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Of course pace matters-provided you are working with a relevant sample size. Do you think Eichel is a 2 goal scorer? Ugh, there is so much wrong here that I can't be bothered to address it all.

Two goals in 21 games translates to almost eight per season. Of course pace matters. Eichel's pace shows him to be an 8 goal scorer, or $1.25 million per goal based on this year's cap hit. Am I doing this right? 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Two goals in 21 games translates to almost eight per season. Of course pace matters. Eichel's pace shows him to be an 8 goal scorer, or $1.25 million per goal based on this year's cap hit. Am I doing this right? 

Not sure of the point you are trying to make as I wasn't talking about value for money. My point is that it is reasonable to make some extrapolations based on a fairly relevant chunk of data but imprudent to do so off a much smaller sample, and that you can't just hand-wave away anything that doesn't fit your chosen conclusion. For example, no none would suggest that Eichel is an 8 goal scorer if they were aware of his activities in previous seasons.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My son sent me a message telling me about this yesterday and I was shocked.  It was before it was posted here but I feel it's not really fair to share tweets/stuff until something official is published because it's all hearsay.  Even now...nothing has proven him guilty.

But Jake has likely used up his 9 lives here...he's innocent until proven guilty but because he puts himself in situations that create a buzz, he's become pretty high maintenance.  A big distraction who doesn't do enough to warrant keeping him.  If this IS proven true, it explains everything for me.  

no mater what the outcome of this latest thing is, he's played his last as a Canuck, I'm sure of that. In part because as you say its been a high maintenance situation and he just doesn't deliver. Add to that his buyout is really good, so to me that means he's done here no matter what happens next. 

Man I wonder how the rest of the team is doing, this must be a strange day for them. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Where there's smoke there is fire. These guys have women throwing themselves at them every day. In the late 1990's, you could to to Electric Ave. in Calgary after a game to where the Flames and the visiting team would stop after the game and the women at the bar were unbelievable. Dressed to the 9's and ready to go. Not knowing what Jake is accused of, but any professional hockey player can get action in his own town and any other NHL city, count on it. No need to do anything remotely illegal (ask Zack Kassian). 

This is a sign of a significant transgression. Either underage or drugs involved. I've know many NHL players and I would say it is nuts giving a 20 something guy that kind of money and hoping for any kind of acceptable behavior. These guys make more money in a week or a game than most of us the whole year. How does that not go to your head?

For Jake's sake, I hope he gets a fair shake. However, for it to get to this stage, I fear he is ready for the fork. He is done.

Edited by cocosdad
  • Hydration 1

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IF he is found guilty, it would be a breach of contract by him and he could be subject to termination.

Koots,  I don’t think he has to be proven guilty for his contract to be terminated,.  That fact that only part of this allegation might hold truth is probably enough to break “a code of conduct and ethics” that most contracts stipulate.

..  I think Jake has had issues with other things regarding that code.

Players are paid as representatives of the company/ organization.

I’m sure this is why the Canucks has hired a private investigator in the matter,  to find out what the truths are,  and let the organization know if they need to help represent him,.  Or clear his stall, and write “The End”.

If he had greater value , ie Patrick Kane, this would be handled differently I’m sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Koots,  I don’t think he has to be proven guilty for his contract to be terminated,.  That fact that only part of this allegation might hold truth is probably enough to break “a code of conduct and ethics” that most contracts stipulate.

I’m sure this is why the Canucks has hired a private investigator in the matter,  to find out what the truths are,  and let the organization know if they need to help represent him,.  Or clear his stall, and write “The End”.

If he had greater value , ie Patrick Kane, this would be handled differently I’m sure.

I am not sure about that. I guess it all depends on how the case plays out. If he is found not guilty they have no grounds to terminate his contract. That said; I think he has played his last game as a Canuck.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IF he is found guilty, it would be a breach of contract by him and he could be subject to termination.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am not sure about that. I guess it all depends on how the case plays out. If he is found not guilty they have no grounds to terminate his contract. That said; I think he has played his last game as a Canuck.

It can go several ways. It's possible he's found not guilty (or not enough evidence to prove guilt) but they still find something in the investigation that is grounds for termination due to the aforementioned enigmatic "ethics" clause pro athletes have their contract.

From a strictly hockey POV, it's time to move on for both parties.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He hasn’t been charged with anything yet. He might not be charged. Strangely, Bennett’s success in Florida might ad some value to a Jake trade. One way or the other Jake was probably going anyway. Change of venue might help. 

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hate to say it but from the moment this thread was made and JB made the pick over Nylander and Ehlers, I pretty publically made my opinions made of how I thought it was one of the worst decisions this franchise has ever made. Yes, mainly from a hockey perspective, I argued that we needed a skilled, scoring top player like Nylander or Ehlers, but was criticized and ridiculed, saying that tough character players like Virtanen don't come around very often and are special players. I don't want to, or like, mixing personal stuff with hockey stuff but JB is always making a point of bringing in good-character guys. When he was drafted he was young and tricky to gauge, but party-boy Jake soon emerged, we should have seen the warning signs. 

Of course we have to wait and see if these allegations hold any truth but if they do then he's as done as D'Angello and holds no trade value anymore either - we might be forced to buy him out or some other tricky situation.

Such a waste of such a high pick where so many better players and people were taken right after him. The criticism that Nylander got for being a "pretty weak Swedish boy" compared to the "tough hometown boy" Jake was disgusting and I hope that everyone who shared these comments (you know who you are, just go back 1000 pages) is biting their tongue now because Nylander (and also Ehlers) are top line, 30 goal scoring, almost PPG players whereas Jake is a 7 minute 4th line piece of garbage for 2M who now may also have far worse problems to worry about. Our highest pick in a long time and we made an absolute mess of it because we wanted grit and toughness. Look what happened when we went away from that trend - we got Petey and Hughes as absolute steals.

Moral of the story - let the big tough doochbags go in the later rounds, spend high picks on high skill instead.

I think you're coming down a little heavy and are really saying "I told you so" but the jist of what you're saying is true.

Let's not complain when they draft for character in the future.

My read on Jake, growing up he was bigger and faster than almost all the player he went up against.  Even in major junior he had his way on the ice.  It goes to a person's head and he didn't have to work hard to dominate.  The result?  Poor habits on and off the ice.

The future, I don't expect him to play for the rest of the season.  He might even ask for a trade.  He only continues his career outside of the fish bowl in Vancouver.

Did anybody miss him last night?