The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

I'm pretty sure that JV has played his final game as a Canuck. No matter what the outcome of the investigation, the fact that they needed to DO an investigation, probably spells the end for him.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, cocosdad said:

Where there's smoke there is fire. These guys have women throwing themselves at them every day. In the late 1990's, you could to to Electric Ave. in Calgary after a game to where the Flames and the visiting team would stop after the game and the women at the bar were unbelievable. Dressed to the 9's and ready to go. Not knowing what Jake is accused of, but any professional hockey player can get action in his own town and any other NHL city, count on it. No need to do anything remotely illegal (ask Zack Kassian). 

This is a sign of a significant transgression. Either underage or drugs involved. I've know many NHL players and I would say it is nuts giving a 20 something guy that kind of money and hoping for any kind of acceptable behavior. These guys make more money in a week or a game than most of us the whole year. How does that not go to your head?

For Jake's sake, I hope he gets a fair shake. However, for it to get to this stage, I fear he is ready for the fork. He is done.

That's the thing, with all the education young players get on code of conduct and all that, they should be very aware not to end up in any situation that could even be interpreted in this way. The women will be there regardless, so make sure you're being an absolute gentleman, not pursuing women while drinking (and especially not if they've been drinking), and then finding a willing, consenting partner is the easy bit. Not that finding a woman in every port is a good look, but I won't ever fault someone for the amount of partners they have if they're respectful and ethical.

But this situation doesn't even sound like it was a night on Electric Ave - or at the Roxy. Not to go into detail (it can be found if one looks) but it sounds like a date where he was just the guy we often accuse him of being as a player: lacking effort and discipline, and assuming it's going to be handed to him.

• Upvote 1

I've supported Virtanen after we drafted him, hoping he could put it together to be a reasonably contributing player in the NHL. He definitely wasn't my choice at 6th overall, Nylander was (he's had his own disappointments but at least has put up some decent points), but after some hope last season this year has been pretty bad. Something like this is just the icing on the cake, where people are already frustrated.

I certainly would have preferred we find a new start for him in previous years, but hoping for any kind of return at this point is pretty much done. One more year left, so it's either this is bad enough his contract is terminated (quite possible), or there's some acceptance between him and the victim that allows for redemption (less possible) and he gets one more year to prove himself. I don't think we trade him this summer either way, since I don't see anyone offering enough to make that worthwhile.

I think right or wrong he'll settle out of court ( Prediction $250K ) and then the reclamation process will begin, Kane managed to re-establish himself so who knows maybe a team as far away as possible .... Florida maybe 

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He hasn’t been charged with anything yet. He might not be charged.

That's very true Boud's. I was referring to the termination factor and did neglect to note that he has not yet been charged with anything yet in my post. My reference was to the termination if he was charged and that would still not necessarily be cause for termination unless the charges are proven in a court of law.

• Hydration 1

Jake's played his last game in a Canuck uniform. VAN will sweep this under the rug by trading him.

The future has already started with Lind playing and Gadjovich getting the call. Podkolzin and maybe our 1st this draft, next season. 

3 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

Jake is nothing but problems. If only he had a brain. 

waste of talent 

Sad when you see small players busting their hump just to get a chance, and guys like Jake seem to squander his chances. 

It's a pity the team didn't gamble on Ehlers. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sad when you see small players busting their hump just to get a chance, and guys like Jake seem to squander his chances. 

It's a pity the team didn't gamble on Ehlers. 

He was never the same since his shoulder surgery. I worked in Calgary a lot that year and watched over 10 games. His release, his shot, and most notably his physicality was never the same. He wasn’t even the same the very next season in Jr.  

• Hydration 1

If he s innocent, maybe this is the thing that makes him change his way in life and hockey and he matures and takes his job and life more serious and becomes better in both?

There has been too much drama and distraction for a player who is not a star, if he is innocent it will be interesting to see what the Canucks do with him, his contract looked like a show us something or we will buy you out after this year, either way he gets money and maybe he saw that as easy money to retire on and chill with friends (but who are probably starting new careers, married, soon to have children and no time for Jake and he is left behind)

I remember Ray Ferraro saying Playing hard and tough is a skill, everyone would if they could

Things came easy for Jake while being Bigger and Faster as a Teen

He still has some size and speed, but has always lacked the desire to be the best NHL player he could be and wondering how if character is important for the Canucks, why they held on for so long? Was it ego for not getting close to a 6th back in return? Many top 6 picks have not panned out, Just surprising how you want character guys and let one be a big distraction coming out of shape and looks like more drama and another player sitting while being overpaid for what he provides

• Hydration 2
6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If he s innocent, maybe this is the thing that makes him change his way in life and hockey and he matures and takes his job and life more serious and becomes better in both?

There has been too much drama and distraction for a player who is not a star, if he is innocent it will be interesting to see what the Canucks do with him, his contract looked like a show us something or we will buy you out after this year, either way he gets money and maybe he saw that as easy money to retire on and chill with friends (but who are probably starting new careers, married, soon to have children and no time for Jake and he is left behind)

I remember Ray Ferraro saying Playing hard and tough is a skill, everyone would if they could

Things came easy for Jake while being Bigger and Faster as a Teen

He still has some size and speed, but has always lacked the desire to be the best NHL player he could be and wondering how if character is important for the Canucks, why they held on for so long? Was it ego for not getting close to a 6th back in return? Many top 6 picks have not panned out, Just surprising how you want character guys and let one be a big distraction coming out of shape and looks like more drama and another player sitting while being overpaid for what he provides

jakes days as a canuck are over if there is  charges coming his contract will be voided    gives us a extra 2.55 to work with which  will help team as any extra cap is a good thing.  If hes not guilty which is very entirely possible   i think hes traded  for a b level prospect   and he gets a fresh start even before this whole mess the fans were brutal to him he scored last week no one else on team was scoring but he gets the blame hell horvat is a golden boy  but no shows on regular but no one calls him out hell he couldnt even defend edler.  If jakes innocent he deserves a fresh start some where  in states where they let him play his game  for 20 minutes a night and he lights it up 

• Hydration 3
8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

jakes days as a canuck are over if there is  charges coming his contract will be voided    gives us a extra 2.55 to work with which  will help team as any extra cap is a good thing.  If hes not guilty which is very entirely possible   i think hes traded  for a b level prospect   and he gets a fresh start even before this whole mess the fans were brutal to him he scored last week no one else on team was scoring but he gets the blame hell horvat is a golden boy  but no shows on regular but no one calls him out hell he couldnt even defend edler.  If jakes innocent he deserves a fresh start some where  in states where they let him play his game  for 20 minutes a night and he lights it up 

“ Very entirely possible “......Hmmm!

On 4/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, Gawdzukes said:

Gawd, Miller is good but so freaking lazy in his own end it's not even funny. He's just such a good player he get's away with it sometimes. A lot of times he's fighting Hughes for whose fault the goal is. he just quits on the dside way earlier.

Glad i'm not the only one that sees this as well. Miller absolutely gets lazy in the defensive zone. Kind of shocking for a 1st line centre on this team lol.

1414 pages on Jake Virtanen, so it's probably been said here or on another JV related thread...

With the recent allegations brought forth against Virtanen, there's little chance that he'll be taken by the Kraken in the ED (even if that was a remote possibility to begin with). I'm going to guess that the relationship with Virtanen is either going to be a buy out ($50K against the cap in 2021-22 and $500k in 2022-23 and $1.4M out of pocket for the Aqilinis) or non-recallable waivers for the purposes of mutually terminating contract (best case scenario as this costs the Canucks zero cap costs).

I suppose remote possibilities can occur - loan to Euro team (but who would want him?) or trade (but who would want him?).

Whatever the case, even before allegations of sexual misconduct against Vritanen became public, I was of the opinion the Canucks were better without Virtanen. So at the very least, the one positive to come out of all this is that it may expedite JV's departure from the Canucks.  Too bad Loui wasn't as stupid as JV.

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

1414 pages on Jake Virtanen, so it's probably been said here or on another JV related thread...

With the recent allegations brought forth against Virtanen, there's little chance that he'll be taken by the Kraken in the ED (even if that was a remote possibility to begin with). I'm going to guess that the relationship with Virtanen is either going to be a buy out ($50K against the cap in 2021-22 and $500k in 2022-23 and $1.4M out of pocket for the Aqilinis) or non-recallable waivers for the purposes of mutually terminating contract (best case scenario as this costs the Canucks zero cap costs).

I suppose remote possibilities can occur - loan to Euro team (but who would want him?) or trade (but who would want him?).

Whatever the case, even before allegations of sexual misconduct against Vritanen became public, I was of the opinion the Canucks were better without Virtanen. So at the very least, the one positive to come out of all this is that it may expedite JV's departure from the Canucks.  Too bad Loui wasn't as stupid as JV.

Jake won't be protected now, thats for sure. 

What I don't know is the timing of the buyout window, would we have to buy him out prior to the expansion draft? @mll just wondering if you know the dates.

I'm not sure when the buyouts begin, usually its 1 or 2 days after the cup is awarded, but I don't know how long its open to this year, or if arbitration gives us a 2nd buyout window later in the summer. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What I don't know is the timing of the buyout window, would we have to buy him out prior to the expansion draft? @mll just wondering if you know the dates.

I'm not sure when the buyouts begin, usually its 1 or 2 days after the cup is awarded, but I don't know how long its open to this year, or if arbitration gives us a 2nd buyout window later in the summer. 

his contract might get voided  for breach of contract   time will tell

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The buyout window opens before expansion and closes just before free agency.  There’s a roster freeze during the expansion process - ie no buyouts during that time.  Virtanen isn’t eligible to be bought out in the 2nd window - last year the minimum AAV to qualify for that 2nd window was 4M.  

Per the transition rules:

24 hours after Cup is awarded, latest 16 July - buyout window opens

16 July - last day to put a player on waivers for a buyout before expansion

17 July - submission of protection lists and start of roster freeze.  No trades, waivers, buyouts, signings etc.

18 July - 21 July  lists distributed and expansion process underway for 72 hours

21 July - expansion draft reveal.  Selections are filed in the morning for verification.

22 July - roster freeze lifted

23/24 July - entry draft

26 July - deadline for qualifying offers

27 July - buyout window closes, contracts end and free agents can start talking to other teams

28 July - free agency starts

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

I doubt Vancouver considers a Jake buyout until they try to deal him one more time. His CAP hit is a deterrent. Bennett's success in Florida might encourage some GM's into taking a flyer. The investigation will tell management everything they want to know about Jake and more. Not sure what agreements are included in their NHL contracts but if a management took it upon themselves to investigate a union longshoreman when charges weren't being pressed the sh*t would hit the fan.