The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

his contract might get voided  for breach of contract   time will tell

I don't believe the timing of that will work, these things usually take months to even years and he's done by then anyway. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

The buyout window opens before expansion and closes just before free agency.  There’s a roster freeze during the expansion process - ie no buyouts during that time.  Virtanen isn’t eligible to be bought out in the 2nd window - last year the minimum AAV to qualify for that 2nd window was 4M.  

Per the transition rules:

24 hours after Cup is awarded, latest 16 July - buyout window opens

16 July - last day to put a player on waivers for a buyout before expansion

17 July - submission of protection lists and start of roster freeze.  No trades, waivers, buyouts, signings etc.

18 July - 21 July  lists distributed and expansion process underway for 72 hours

21 July - expansion draft reveal.  Selections are filed in the morning for verification.

22 July - roster freeze lifted

23/24 July - entry draft

26 July - deadline for qualifying offers

27 July - buyout window closes, contracts end and free agents can start talking to other teams

28 July - free agency starts

OK thank you, this clarifies the possibilities a lot. I assume this means we could put Jake on waivers for a buyout on July 25th if we wanted to expose Jake to Seattle, and then get rid of him after expansion is completed. 

I can't imagine the Canucks would put Jake on waivers on July 16th, because we can still use his contract for the expansion list requirements. 

Remember those trade rumours a few months ago where BOS wanted Jake Virtanen? I wonder what ever happened to that. Why this didn't happen.

Well, if the Canucks buy him out then BOS can sign him without giving VAN anything. Poor GMing.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't believe the timing of that will work, these things usually take months to even years and he's done by then anyway. 

How long did Slava Voynov's domestic abuse, or Mike Richard's drug possession investigations take? It seems like their contracts were terminated pretty quick

• Hydration 1

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

How long did Slava Voynov's domestic abuse, or Mike Richard's drug possession investigations take? It seems like their contracts were terminated pretty quick

those would be much easier to prove, with the arrest records. 

• Hydration 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

those would be much easier to prove, with the arrest records. 

jake could be arrested as well of that happens canuck void  contract same day as a breach of his ethics clause  like bill peters  leipsic voynov etc etc 

37 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

jake could be arrested as well of that happens canuck void  contract same day as a breach of his ethics clause  like bill peters  leipsic voynov etc etc 

It doesn't have to get to arrest or conviction to void Jake's contract.  A sworn statement from the survivor with some additional corroborating evidence might be enough.  That's pretty much analogous to how Aliu's statement sunk Peters. 

• Hydration 1

22 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It doesn't have to get to arrest or conviction to void Jake's contract.  A sworn statement from the survivor with some additional corroborating evidence might be enough.  That's pretty much analogous to how Aliu's statement sunk Peters. 

while that may be true i believe the canucks would wait til the investigation is over and the findings are released they are loyal and if this situation  isnt what the victim claims it to be  then virtanen  would have grounds to sue for false allegations and be reinstated.  If he clears he will be back or traded 

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

while that may be true i believe the canucks would wait til the investigation is over and the findings are released they are loyal and if this situation  isnt what the victim claims it to be  then virtanen  would have grounds to sue for false allegations and be reinstated.  If he clears he will be back or traded 

We'll see, there's plenty of gray area and room for dispute about standards here.  My guess is not that the Canucks will be loyal to Jake but that they will want the situation to go away.  If so, and the evidence stops short of a smoking gun, a quiet buyout is what I'd expect. 

• Like 1

Hmm the allegations don't really surprise me. I've heard this guy is really douchey and tries to hunt for puck bunnies all the time.

He seems like he's focused more on when the next frat party is being held rather than the next game.

Hopefully it isn't true but if it is then good riddance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Remember those trade rumours a few months ago where BOS wanted Jake Virtanen? I wonder what ever happened to that. Why this didn't happen.

Well, if the Canucks buy him out then BOS can sign him without giving VAN anything. Poor GMing.

Because it is a rumour. Lots of people think that means it is the bible.

• Hydration 2

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Just saw on the news tonight that Vancouver Police Dept. has now moved in on this sex allegation case.  I would expect arrest to be made in the near future.   Poor jake!

The police have officially opened a case and are starting with investigating allegations made by the woman about sexual abuse involving Jake Virtanen.

Moved in on sounds like NCIS Los Angelis..

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Is this what Virtanen needs

Sam Bennett moves to Florida

While it is early, the trade is doing wonders for the 24-year-old so far. In just nine games, he has five goals and 13 points. He has fit in terrifically with a Panthers team who could go on run in this year’s playoffs and is playing at a level that many expected him to do after being taken fourth overall in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Just saw on the news tonight that Vancouver Police Dept. has now moved in on this sex allegation case.  I would expect arrest to be made in the near future.   Poor jake!

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The police have officially opened a case and are starting with investigating allegations made by the woman about sexual abuse involving Jake Virtanen.

Moved in on sounds like NCIS Los Angelis..

Well it sort of is.  BTW, maybe you can answer this since you're a regular NCIS watcher.  When Lazy Jake is traded in the off season to one of the American teams deep in the far southeast, can he serve his sentence in an American Jail in Fla. if/when he's convicted, or will he have to be extradited back to Canada to serve his sentence in a prison here?    Just wondering what the deal is between Canada & the USA RE: prisoner swaps.

12 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Lol poor Jake? If he’s guilty then he deserves everything coming to him. There’a no place for those kinds of actions. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1