The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Jake says "I have no idea who this person is" it may take a long time. Are there still hotel records? phone data? you'd have to get someone searching for all of that, could take quite a while and you still don't know what actually happened. 

Terrible for the innocent party involved. 

• Vintage 2

Regardless how it all plays out. I think Jake has played his last game as a Canuck and will be bought out of his contract if there are no suitors for his services.

From CapFriendly: cost of buyout $50k in 21-22 and 500K in 22-23 for a savings of 2 million on his current contract. Given all of the negativity this player has generated in the press and also to some degree, with the fan base, IMO, this is the most likely scenario going forward.

Maybe he can stage a revival of his career some place else; time will tell.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Seriously, how long does it take to get a statement and conclude this investigation? If she says he was out of line then lay charges. I suspect someone wants to play politics with the situation. 

I don’t know JAke from Adam, but he does (kind of?) give the impression meeting girls this way was something he did often.  So it might be hard to piece together evidence that is actually really accurate.  It’s a civil case now, so this might get resolved without any criminal action.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Jake says "I have no idea who this person is" it may take a long time. Are there still hotel records? phone data? you'd have to get someone searching for all of that, could take quite a while and you still don't know what actually happened. 

Why discuss ''if'' ? 

We have to should keep to facts.  And circumstances as information comes available.  All that we know is Jake is accused of misconduct.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Why discuss ''if'' ? 

We have to should keep to facts.  And circumstances as information comes available.  All that we know is Jake is accused of misconduct.  

just an example of why things could be taking so long, not saying thats what he's done. He legitimately may not remember much of the night. 

I don't see a problem with respectful discussion on these things, I think it can help to understand all the different points of view.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just an example of why things could be taking so long, not saying thats what he's done. He legitimately may not remember much of the night. 

I don't see a problem with respectful discussion on these things, I think it can help to understand all the different points of view.

The problem with 'we should keep to the facts' is, what are the facts? Does this Canuck Surfer know the actual facts? No. As mentioned, he said the fact is that Jake has been accused of sexual misconduct. True. But then, why is he telling you to stick to the facts when all you're doing is presenting an idea that could possibly be true, or not? He may not remember anything from that night. And I'm not saying that justifies anything at all. If he is found guilty, then he should pay the full consequences. All I'm saying is, if he's telling you to stick to the facts, when he clearly has no idea what the real facts are, then he shouldn't be responding to you in a condescending manner. Nobody knows what happened. 

9 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The problem with 'we should keep to the facts' is, what are the facts? Does this Canuck Surfer know the actual facts? No. As mentioned, he said the fact is that Jake has been accused of sexual misconduct. True. But then, why is he telling you to stick to the facts when all you're doing is presenting an idea that could possibly be true, or not? He may not remember anything from that night. And I'm not saying that justifies anything at all. If he is found guilty, then he should pay the full consequences. All I'm saying is, if he's telling you to stick to the facts, when he clearly has no idea what the real facts are, then he shouldn't be responding to you in a condescending manner. Nobody knows what happened. 

One of the reasons I think its necessary to explore what might be going on is I still see a lot of victim blaming type of thinking. So if its fair game to question her motivations we certainly can discuss what might be happening on Jakes side of this. Or if we don't want to use Jakes name, what a hypothetical person might do. 

As long as we stay respectful and don't accuse people of things, I think its a good exercise because when you start getting into it you can see how complicated these things can be. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If it turns out without any criminal charges, this can be a good thing for Jakes career.

It's kind of a wake up call for him.

So he shift the focus from party and girls to hockey. 

So for know I say we keep him and the club give him an ultimatum. 

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

If it turns out without any criminal charges, this can be a good thing for Jakes career.

It's kind of a wake up call for him.

So he shift the focus from party and girls to hockey. 

So for know I say we keep him and the club give him an ultimatum. 

To be quite frank, I think he's been given enough ultimatums and chances. This team has been infinitely patient with Virtanen and last year, it looked like it was paying off, but then the playoffs and this year have been a dumpster fire for him. He signed a 2-year deal, lucky for him, but there's a chance he's bought out if the Acqulini's can stomach the cost.

I think he just needs a restart of his hockey career and it's not gonna work in Vancouver IMO. Similar to Big Bert after the Moore incident (but for different reasons), he just needs to get away from here and start fresh.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

So Jake is pretty much being sued for rape.

This is pretty serious stuff.  We don't know what actually happened so I dont have an opinion besides this is really bad if true.

Is there a criminal investigation component to this?  I wouldnt think rape would stop at just  being a civil court matter?

• Thanks 1

I hope Jake is guilty of nothing. For the possible victim I'm not sure how this can even be proven, if it even happened. I have two daughters and I hate this stuff and the only thing I can bring out of this so far is to talk to my daughters about coming forth immediately after any assault. I can't see how this case, four years later, can be proven either way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that when I heard about this it really deflated me and I lost interest in the nucks for the remainder of the season.  I hope its not true for Jake's sake but I have no time for someone who would hurt a woman or a child sexually.  I would be happy to have Rape and Child Abuse punishable by execution. 

• Cheers 1

I wonder how the club is going to deal with this, these trials can take ages to sort out, is he just not going to play until it's decided? If he's found even remotely guilty, surely he's done ala D'Angelo in NYR and we just terminate his contract or don't sign him.

If he's found not-guilty (based on what, no evidence?), I wonder what they do...I wonder how his team-mates treat him afterwards. You'd hope they'd bond together, give him a chance, but it won't be easy and there will surely be some doubters of his character.

As much as I've hated him as a pick and player, he's still just a person (yes, with questionable decisions as a kid) so will be interesting to see how the club, management, coaches and other players treat him if he does come back to play. You never know, this may be a wake-up call for him and might get him really focussing on hockey, or it could go the other way and he never plays in the NHL again.

• Cheers 2

What a straight up skid.  
The kid had the world by the balls.  All the talent need to make MILLIONS and not even have to leave home. 
The kid showed zero maturity the whole time here, then it finishes with this. 

I hope for the girls sake this story isn’t true, but Jake does have a reputation of being a Dbag. 

Zero sympathy from me.  
If he is guilty, I hope he ends up broke and in jail.   

If he is innocent........ I don’t care.  Russia?  

• Cheers 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, dpn1 said:

I have to admit that when I heard about this it really deflated me and I lost interest in the nucks for the remainder of the season.  I hope its not true for Jake's sake but I have no time for someone who would hurt a woman or a child sexually.  I would be happy to have Rape and Child Abuse punishable by execution. 

Just send them my way. I’ve watched plenty of videos of castrations.  Wouldn’t have to worry about them having those desires after I am finished with them. I’ll make them new people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I remember he almost hit me in the parking lot at the Kelowna mall while I was walking across the cross walk. Flew through the crosswalk at 30+. Then went into Best Buy and was the only one not wearing a mask. 

Great guy! 

Surely, surely the master scouting guru would have picked this up in the scouting combine. This kids second choice of careers is not as a physicist   All those meetings, the in depth reviews with past coaches and teachers etc etc apparently failed to recognize his IQ. JB was all over this kid as Vcr next gift to hockey

(90) Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube