Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

On 5/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, NUCKER67 said:

A few years down the road, a bloated and broke Jake "shotgun" Virtanen will be telling stories at the local pub of how he once leveled Connor McDavid in a game. It's really all he's done that's impressive.  

If convicted, he kisses any chance of entering into the USA goodbye.  It asks on your visa and/or entry documents if you have ever been arrested or convicted for a crime.  And during the intervew, you will be informed about whether they will or will not allow you entry, especially with these moral turpitude issues.  Tthe Canadian standard seems to be higher. 

 

As a Texan, I believe in equal protection under the law.  That is why I think the parents of these undocumented minors illegally crossing the border need to be charged with parental neglect and endangering the welfare of a minor.   Because if you or I let our kids walk aroiund the block, we would be charged with a felony--true story.  But if Jake wants to enter, he should find a spot and walk over.  

 

But back to Jake, I worked with someone who played for the Blackhawks.  He sold cars and was making great money.  But he lost his way through the bottle and the team let him go.  He was a great guy but he had lots of regrets for the mistakes he made playing through the bottle.

Edited by The Colt 45s
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

If convicted, he kisses any chance of entering into the USA goodbye.  It asks on your visa and/or entry documents if you have ever been arrested or convicted for a crime.  And during the intervew, you will be informed about whether they will or will not allow you entry, especially with these moral turpitude issues.  Tthe Canadian standard seems to be higher. 

 

As a Texan, I believe in equal protection under the law.  That is why I think the parents of these undocumented minors illegally crossing the border need to be charged with parental neglect and endangering the welfare of a minor.   Because if you or I let our kids walk aroiund the block, we would be charged with a felony--true story.  But if Jake wants to enter, he should find a spot and walk over.  

 

But back to Jake, I worked with someone who played for the Blackhawks.  He sold cars and was making great money.  But he lost his way through the bottle and the team let him go.  He was a great guy but he had lots of regrets for the mistakes he made playing through the bottle.

Unfortunately there are so many stories like this in pro sports. It happens all the time. They don't really help pro athletes out at all as they grow up... Problem is they get this entitled attitude when they are young because they are stars in the making and are treated as such. Along with that comes popularity and women. If you aren't mentally equipped to handle all that overload of money and sex and partying it just destroys a guy. It really does seem like Jake has gotten caught up in this kind of life style. And I really do question whether he has the mental capacity to see it through. I am not sitting here saying he's guilty, but if he is I really hope justice is served and also Jake learns his lesson. Just like your guy selling cars. There can still be a good story for him. But so many dive deeper into depression and fall off a cliff. Just a sad story overall and a sad ending to what have been a great career here in Vancouver for him. 

 

As for the women in this story, I really hope she can see herself through what I would imagine is just a nightmare of a time. Coming out publicly like this in a hockey crazed market puts a lot of focus on a person. It takes a lot of guts to come out and say those things knowing the whirl wind that will ensue. And honestly i'm sure that's why she didn't come out right away and say it. That's some hard $&!# to throw out there with a well know player like Jake. I'd be freaked to say anything too! I wish her all the best and hope she can heal and move on as well and have a good life. She's held this in for too long and i'm glad to see she is getting it off her chest. It's the first part in healing.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Remember those trade rumours a few months ago where BOS wanted Jake Virtanen? I wonder what ever happened to that. Why this didn't happen.

 

Well, if the Canucks buy him out then BOS can sign him without giving VAN anything. Poor GMing.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:39 AM, FaninMex said:

Because it is a rumour. Lots of people think that means it is the bible.

Basically, yes. Even if there was fire to that smoke, most of the rumours would be just an inquiry where one side offered nowhere near enough and the other side told them no. I'm sure that happens pretty often but they realize it isn't worth pursuing.

 

Of course, in hindsight, we could have tried to get pretty much anything knowing what we know now. But then maybe the story wouldn't have come out and then the same people would have complained about how little we got back for him.

Edited by elvis15
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, elvis15 said:

Basically, yes. Even if there was fire to that smoke, most of the rumours would be just an inquiry where one side offered nowhere near enough and the other side told them no. I'm sure that happens pretty often but they realize it isn't worth pursuing.

 

Of course, in hindsight, we could have tried to get pretty much anything knowing what we know now. But then maybe the story wouldn't have come out and then the same people would have complained about how little we got back for him.

With the stigma of this situation the PR department has already traded JV - hope I am wrong and we don't do another AG trade from the PR department.  Based on the stats, AG seems to be doing very well with the Hawks (it seems he was being miscasted and misused by the staff ?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Had to borrow my wife's stitch ripper, but was able to salvage my favorite hat. I spent years defending his play on the ice, but no chance after his off ice behavior.

IMG_20210510_105842.jpg

IMG_20210510_123350.jpg

Dude, you should've just blacked out that one section on the '8' making it a '9' and said you like Nazzy:). 

 

Or keep the '18' and say you like Darcy Rota! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Dude, you should've just blacked out that one section on the '8' making it a '9' and said you like Nazzy:). 

 

Or keep the '18' and say you like Darcy Rota! 

 

I didn't think about make it a 9. That would have been a pretty good play. Nazzy was my boy when I was a teen.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...