avelanch

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hate to/love to bring it up again but show me one person who wouldn't rather have Willie Nylander over Jake now. Everyone said Jake would be the big tough guy and Nylander was just a princess.

 

Nylander's a scoring machine, 4 points in 3 games and he doesn't even play with Toronto's top players most of the time.

 

Jake's getting his shot on our top line again and is basically making them worse.

 

I think if this keeps up JB is going to have had enough with Jake and he's going to be part of a trade, either in a package or a one for one swap for someone who also needs a change of scenery. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit you made the dumb pick, and I think JB will do it - he won't just keep this experiment going because it's costing us on the ice.

It would have caused a butterfly effect. We’d not have the players we have today. It would change for better or worse. Totally unpredictable.

 

Would be nice though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, Westcoasting said:

Do you think the Canucks will just wait forever for Jake to be consistent and/ or improve etc?

Come on now, it’s only Jake’s D+7 season. People are being too impatient. 
 

At 30 I think we’ll have a better picture of what we’ve got with Jake. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

?

See your warning for further details and the guidelines in place.

 

Spamming the boards with this crap is not tolerated (thanks oldnews...was also posted elsewhere but would have missed it here!)

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

he's possibly the most frustrating Canuck I've ever watched in my life

 

Can't stand him

Even more than Loui? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Come on now, it’s only Jake’s D+7 season. People are being too impatient. 
 

At 30 I think we’ll have a better picture of what we’ve got with Jake. 

Yep powerforwards take longer to develop...hopefully by the time he’s 30 he will be good to go :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said this before on here but I'll tell the story again, and for the record I've always cheered Jake on and wanted him to work out.

 

A buddy of mine played on team canadas roller hockey team with Jake's brother Stefan and they are good friends and he knows jake and his family well. And he wants Jake traded, he is adamant about his character issues and entitlement and just a piss poor attitude. Coming from a family friend.

 

Another story, I used to work with a guy who grew up in Calgary and his parents were Jake's Billet family when he played for the hitmen and he couldn't stand him. Said he was one of the biggest dbags he ever met.

 

I've always hoped he would prove these 2 wrong but when the shoe fits ...

 

Part of the reason this franchise and fanbase has been so patient with him is Cam Neely disease but let's face it. Hes not even a sam Bennett let alone a neely

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random question to those against continuing with Jake:

 

if Jake became simply a bottom 6 forward for our team, would you be accepting of that or is it top 6 or trade in your mind?

Edited by The Lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I've said this before on here but I'll tell the story again, and for the record I've always cheered Jake on and wanted him to work out.

 

A buddy of mine played on team canadas roller hockey team with Jake's brother Stefan and they are good friends and he knows jake and his family well. And he wants Jake traded, he is adamant about his character issues and entitlement and just a piss poor attitude. Coming from a family friend.

 

Another story, I used to work with a guy who grew up in Calgary and his parents were Jake's Billet family when he played for the hitmen and he couldn't stand him. Said he was one of the biggest dbags he ever met.

 

I've always hoped he would prove these 2 wrong but when the shoe fits ...

 

Part of the reason this franchise and fanbase has been so patient with him is Cam Neely disease but let's face it. Hes not even a sam Bennett let alone a neely

How can the scouts some how overlook these flaws, character is one of the determining factors hence the numerous interviews, here's why :-

 

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

 

PS I don't see Brackett in that short video

 

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Random question to those against continuing with Jake:

 

if Jake became simply a bottom 6 forward for our team, would you be accepting of that or is it top 6 or trade in your mind?

Def not top 6 or trade.

 

He could be effective on the 3rd or 4th lines but is he gonna hustle like Gaudette or Motte?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

Def not top 6 or trade.

 

He could be effective on the 3rd or 4th lines but is he gonna hustle like Gaudette or Motte?

Does he have to hustle to be effective or are there other skills he has/can develop to be complimentary to Gaudette or Motte that could potentially make up for that?

 

Obviously he has a lot of speed along with having a frame. He's unique in that way. I guess my personal opinion is that consistency doesn't seem to be a strong suit. Perhaps if can use that unique package of speed along with his frame on a more consistent basis, perhaps that's really what could lead the way for everything else. Just a thought anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 11:20 AM, nux4lyfe said:

2 frickin' games and nux fans go :frantic:

It's actually been 282 games for Jake, and still waiting...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

How can the scouts some how overlook these flaws, character is one of the determining factors hence the numerous interviews, here's why :-

 

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

 

PS I don't see Brackett in that short video

 

Eric Crawford was director of amateur scouting.  Brackett was promoted after Crawford was released.  Virtanen was drafted out of the WHL - Brackett was scouting the USHL before his promotion.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's actually been 282 games for Jake, and still waiting...

Why wait, the guy is already scoring at a 20 goals a season pace, while averaging 12:49 of ice time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Random question to those against continuing with Jake:

 

if Jake became simply a bottom 6 forward for our team, would you be accepting of that or is it top 6 or trade in your mind?

I think the bigger question here is...

 

Is he soon to be passed by younger, cheaper (and possibly more dedicated) prospects?

 

He's clearly an NHL level player. And I have zero issue with a +/- 40 point 3rd liner, with elite speed and a good shot.

 

But why pay him $2.55m (and likely more on his next deal) to play decent(if inconsistent), 3rd line level hockey when you can insert a kid with more ceiling, more dedication, on an ELC, with RFA/club control?

 

Unless he can break through to something closer to a top 6 role, we have better, younger and cheaper alternatives coming. And in that case, I can't see how he's here long term. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I've said this before on here but I'll tell the story again, and for the record I've always cheered Jake on and wanted him to work out.

 

A buddy of mine played on team canadas roller hockey team with Jake's brother Stefan and they are good friends and he knows jake and his family well. And he wants Jake traded, he is adamant about his character issues and entitlement and just a piss poor attitude. Coming from a family friend.

 

Another story, I used to work with a guy who grew up in Calgary and his parents were Jake's Billet family when he played for the hitmen and he couldn't stand him. Said he was one of the biggest dbags he ever met.

 

I've always hoped he would prove these 2 wrong but when the shoe fits ...

 

Part of the reason this franchise and fanbase has been so patient with him is Cam Neely disease but let's face it. Hes not even a sam Bennett let alone a neely

I love these vague stories from Abby kids that pop up about ol Jakey lol

 

You just wait. Another year, two years tops, and Jake is gonna be a premier power forward in the league.

 

Bertuzzi 2.0!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake was one of the best skaters last night.  I thought he had a good game.  Greener had him out double shifting both he and Hogz because they were the two who were actually skating out there.  Jake had a decent game in the season opener and struggled in the next game and last night he was one of our best skaters.  I do believe he had 5 or so hits last night as well.  Jake could score 20 goals this year and we would still be throwing him under the bus.  

  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...