The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

If it turns out without any criminal charges, this can be a good thing for Jakes career.

It's kind of a wake up call for him.

So he shift the focus from party and girls to hockey. 

So for know I say we keep him and the club give him an ultimatum. 

To be quite frank, I think he's been given enough ultimatums and chances. This team has been infinitely patient with Virtanen and last year, it looked like it was paying off, but then the playoffs and this year have been a dumpster fire for him. He signed a 2-year deal, lucky for him, but there's a chance he's bought out if the Acqulini's can stomach the cost.

I think he just needs a restart of his hockey career and it's not gonna work in Vancouver IMO. Similar to Big Bert after the Moore incident (but for different reasons), he just needs to get away from here and start fresh.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

So Jake is pretty much being sued for rape.

This is pretty serious stuff.  We don't know what actually happened so I dont have an opinion besides this is really bad if true.

Is there a criminal investigation component to this?  I wouldnt think rape would stop at just  being a civil court matter?

• Thanks 1

I hope Jake is guilty of nothing. For the possible victim I'm not sure how this can even be proven, if it even happened. I have two daughters and I hate this stuff and the only thing I can bring out of this so far is to talk to my daughters about coming forth immediately after any assault. I can't see how this case, four years later, can be proven either way. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that when I heard about this it really deflated me and I lost interest in the nucks for the remainder of the season.  I hope its not true for Jake's sake but I have no time for someone who would hurt a woman or a child sexually.  I would be happy to have Rape and Child Abuse punishable by execution. 

• Hydration 1
On 5/28/2021 at 2:50 PM, 250Integra said:

All but confirmed that he'll either be terminated or bought out by the Canucks. 

Yeah and the Podz signing is the nail in the coffin of the JV saga - all the best to JV !

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

I wonder how the club is going to deal with this, these trials can take ages to sort out, is he just not going to play until it's decided? If he's found even remotely guilty, surely he's done ala D'Angelo in NYR and we just terminate his contract or don't sign him.

If he's found not-guilty (based on what, no evidence?), I wonder what they do...I wonder how his team-mates treat him afterwards. You'd hope they'd bond together, give him a chance, but it won't be easy and there will surely be some doubters of his character.

As much as I've hated him as a pick and player, he's still just a person (yes, with questionable decisions as a kid) so will be interesting to see how the club, management, coaches and other players treat him if he does come back to play. You never know, this may be a wake-up call for him and might get him really focussing on hockey, or it could go the other way and he never plays in the NHL again.

• Hydration 2

What a straight up skid.  
The kid had the world by the balls.  All the talent need to make MILLIONS and not even have to leave home. 
The kid showed zero maturity the whole time here, then it finishes with this. 

I hope for the girls sake this story isn’t true, but Jake does have a reputation of being a Dbag. 

Zero sympathy from me.  
If he is guilty, I hope he ends up broke and in jail.   

If he is innocent........ I don’t care.  Russia?  

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
On 5/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, dpn1 said:

I have to admit that when I heard about this it really deflated me and I lost interest in the nucks for the remainder of the season.  I hope its not true for Jake's sake but I have no time for someone who would hurt a woman or a child sexually.  I would be happy to have Rape and Child Abuse punishable by execution. 

Just send them my way. I’ve watched plenty of videos of castrations.  Wouldn’t have to worry about them having those desires after I am finished with them. I’ll make them new people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I remember he almost hit me in the parking lot at the Kelowna mall while I was walking across the cross walk. Flew through the crosswalk at 30+. Then went into Best Buy and was the only one not wearing a mask. 

Great guy! 

Surely, surely the master scouting guru would have picked this up in the scouting combine. This kids second choice of careers is not as a physicist   All those meetings, the in depth reviews with past coaches and teachers etc etc apparently failed to recognize his IQ. JB was all over this kid as Vcr next gift to hockey

(90) Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Surely, surely the master scouting guru would have picked this up in the scouting combine. This kids second choice of careers is not as a physicist   All those meetings, the in depth reviews with past coaches and teachers etc etc apparently failed to recognize his IQ. JB was all over this kid as Vcr next gift to hockey

That meeting makes him sound like an Evander Kane type player. We got all the hassle of a Kane-like player... but not the production

• Hydration 1
13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

How wrong they were. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is it IQ? I mean look at Ferland, no one is mistaking him for a rocket surgeon, but the guy is all heart and does/did what needed doing. How do you test for that with 17 year old kids? 

When the league lets you take runs at players without calling infractions (like Ferland did against us in the postseason), you can have an IQ of below 50 and still be quite effective.

• Hydration 1
40 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you have brought up an interesting take and one that seems to be overlooked. If you just go by IQ; it is just a measure of overall intelligence and does not delve into specific areas that are below average or above average. Not sure you can properly evaluate general IQ to the ability to process or excel in certain areas. A good example would be an accountant trying to figure out what is wrong with the motor in his vehicle if he has little to no mechanical aptitude or a mechanic trying to figure out a complex accounting procedure when he was not very good at math but exceptional when working with his hands in a mechanical setting.

Jake is not the first player taken in the 1st round to not pan out nor will he be the last. Drafting players is just an educated crap shoot and no pick is guaranteed to be a home run. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

When the league lets you take runs at players without calling infractions (like Ferland did against us in the postseason), you can have an IQ of below 50 and still be quite effective.

what's really odd to me about Jake was his unwillingness to drive the net. He did it in junior, so why not in the NHL? If I could answer that I'd be a scout. 

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what's really odd to me about Jake was his unwillingness to drive the net. He did it in junior, so why not in the NHL? If I could answer that I'd be a scout. 

Sad to say but that was probably a major selling point in him being picked 6th overall in the draft.