Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wonder if the Islander fans go on and on about Dal Colle like Nuck fans do with Jake.

 

As far as I'm concerned, Jake is done with our team; his contract will likely be bought out and forgotten.  Nuck fans should think of Demko as the 1st round pick in 2014.

 

Islander fans see the game as a source of entertainment, Canucks fans hockey is a way of life

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a player have to be 26 or older to get bought out ? Hopefully Jake Gets his life in order on and off the ice. I know nothing about his circumstance other than what I have read on here .  Hockey wise if he knew this was happening could that not  account for the seemingly backwards progression in his play ? I thought he was finally starting to show his potential the season before last . 

Nope... under 26 they get bought out for only 1/3rd so it is insanely cheap.  About a $50k cap hit to us this year if we buy him out and about $500k next year.

It is really the only option unless the league lets us off the hook with terminating him.  Any court/civil case is going to be a long time, so we would miss the buyout window hoping for a chance at terminating him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope... under 26 they get bought out for only 1/3rd so it is insanely cheap.  About a $50k cap hit to us this year if we buy him out and about $500k next year.

It is really the only option unless the league lets us off the hook with terminating him.  Any court/civil case is going to be a long time, so we would miss the buyout window hoping for a chance at terminating him.

I wonder if there's any CBA rules regarding a suspended player not counting against cap for things like this... Anybody know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aGENT said:

I wonder if there's any CBA rules regarding a suspended player not counting against cap for things like this... Anybody know?

Is Jake suspended though?  I think he’s more on a leave.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alflives said:

Is Jake suspended though?  I think he’s more on a leave.  

Pretty sure the team suspended him while under investigation.

 

Seem to recall the Jets doing something similar with Byfuglien and suspending him cleared his cap off the roster. Maybe we don't need to buy Jake out at all (at least while legal proceedings are occurring).

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alflives said:

Is Jake suspended though?  I think he’s more on a leave.  

CapFriendly doesn't have him as suspended and Vancouver announced a leave of absence.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be better players available for cheap ahead of the expansion draft.

 

Time to move on from him regardless of the outcome of his charges.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Shotgun will rise again

South of the border, in a market that cares very little for hockey.  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake needs to grow up, and maybe this situation will be the light switch he needs to wake up and appreciate being a pro. If he's proven not guilty of any crimes, does he come back on a mission to prove himself worthy? Or have the Canucks given up on him and plan to buy him out? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake needs to grow up, and maybe this situation will be the light switch he needs to wake up and appreciate being a pro. If he's proven not guilty of any crimes, does he come back on a mission to prove himself worthy? Or have the Canucks given up on him and plan to buy him out? 

Regardless of the outcome, I think the Canucks are done with him. He was given a lot of chances. This latest development actually happened in the past, and not something that happened THIS offseason. Nevertheless, Virtanen only has himself to blame for this, regardless if he's innocent/guilty of the accusations.

 

I personally think it's pointless for us to piece together what happened. The girl took 3 years to report this, and it likely served to her detriment. We have no idea how much of what she's saying is true or not, in reality, even though we're supposed to believe people like her. There's a reason why she is going the route of civil, along with criminal. IMHO, she probably has a weak criminal case. (Time lapsing, and a lack of evidence).

 

I honestly think her only chance of winning is if Virtanen settles. It's not really a win, but it's better than nothing.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alflives said:

South of the border, in a market that cares very little for hockey.  

I'll put a dollar on Pittsburg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lmm said:

I'll put a dollar on Pittsburg

Which is all we'll get for him unfortunately.

I don't think there's a universe where the Canucks would give him another chance, but personally I would if he were to get cleared.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Time to buy him out and move on. 
 

Radio guys just saying a buyout window opens Wednesday.  I wonder if Benning tries to trade Jake first, or just buys him out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Radio guys just saying a buyout window opens Wednesday.  I wonder if Benning tries to trade Jake first, or just buys him out.  

we'll keep dum dum around for expansion and buy him out on the 22nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Radio guys just saying a buyout window opens Wednesday.  I wonder if Benning tries to trade Jake first, or just buys him out.  

He probably doesn’t have a lot of value trade wise. 

 

Maybe best to buy him out and allow him to be someone else’s problem. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...