The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

30 minutes ago, nzan said:

There's this awesome line in The Royal Tanenbaums where a douche-y Eli Cash (Owen Wilson) says - Everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn, what this book presupposes is, maybe he didn't?

Is there a world in which we could imagine that our presupposition is untrue?

Right now we all expect Benning to move away from Jake with the least amount of cost to the cap.

On the other hand, just a year ago he had some, small limited value.

I guess I find myself wondering if there is any chance that Benning gives Virtanen one more chance if the allegations were to be cleared? 

Agreed.  Jake is back in the lineup next Season.  And as soon as he lays a big hit or scores fans will cheer.  

37 minutes ago, nzan said:

There's this awesome line in The Royal Tanenbaums where a douche-y Eli Cash (Owen Wilson) says - Everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn, what this book presupposes is, maybe he didn't?

Is there a world in which we could imagine that our presupposition is untrue?

Right now we all expect Benning to move away from Jake with the least amount of cost to the cap.

On the other hand, just a year ago he had some, small limited value.

I guess I find myself wondering if there is any chance that Benning gives Virtanen one more chance if the allegations were to be cleared? 

I think even taking Jake’s allegations out of the equation, his production just has not been good enough. I think he peaked last season. I was hoping Post-Season Jake was a fluke, but after this season, I don’t believe he’ll ever be a top 6 winger. He’s been given numerous chances under Benning. I think we need to cut our losses and find someone more consistent to slot in on the third line.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Jake is back in the lineup next Season.  And as soon as he lays a big hit or scores fans will cheer.  

I just cant see that happening Alf. Jakes only had flashes of usefulness and hes been a big pain in the ass to the organization. This allegation likely wont be resolved by July 27 and they wont let the buyout window go by particularly if they trade for someone that puts us even a little above the cap.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I think even taking Jake’s allegations out of the equation, his production just has not been good enough. I think he peaked last season. I was hoping Post-Season Jake was a fluke, but after this season, I don’t believe he’ll ever be a top 6 winger. He’s been given numerous chances under Benning. I think we need to cut our losses and find someone more consistent to slot in on the third line.

A fit and not fat (under 210) Jake, who is committed to his conditioning, is an effective player.  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I just cant see that happening Alf. Jakes only had flashes of usefulness and hes been a big pain in the ass to the organization. This allegation likely wont be resolved by July 27 and they wont let the buyout window go by particularly if they trade for someone that puts us even a little above the cap.

For sure I could see us trading Jake to a southern US market, where no one cares.  But, if Jake is fit, and committed to playing hard on pucks, he’s an effective player.  I’m hoping we keep him.  

Just now, Alflives said:

For sure I could see us trading Jake to a southern US market, where no one cares.  But, if Jake is fit, and committed to playing hard on pucks, he’s an effective player.  I’m hoping we keep him.  

Thats the problem tho, hes never really been a committed player. 

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree that it is very unlikely they will pick him but still worth a shot as they have nothing to lose by exposing him to the expansion draft. It lso frees up as space to protect someone else in his place

Bingo. Hes most useful as a warm body up to expansion. After that hes done.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats the problem tho, hes never really been a committed player. 

I totally agree that Jake is a selfish, lazy, slacker, who is in this life only to serve his basest desires.  But, when fit he can still be a useful player.  Hopefully these allegations are proven true or false before the season.  

10 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Hes frustrating because he has all the physical gifts to be a great player. That 2 cent head tho....

Ive lost any respect i had for him. Hes pissed away an incredible gift. 

I'm not sure what our exact situation is, but it might be that we need to keep Virtanen for now to reach the exposure rules for the ED. If that's the case, we probably won't see anything until after the ED and then there's a chance he's bought out, especially because he's so young, making it very affordable in terms of cap expense.

I think they're done with Jake, just can't see how they'd sell this to the fans, even if he was found not guilty. It's a stain on his reputation - again. Sure Patrick Kane recovered from his accusations, etc., but Jake isn't a quarter of what Patty Kane is as a player. 

I'm curious why they haven't bought out Eriksson yet. Are they waiting for SEA to claim him? lol 

Jake fan from his draft, stuck with him even though these boards wanred to crucify him.  If what is claimed happened sorry Jaie Ur d0ne here.  To that young lady I apologize for all canucks/  We dont stand for that bull/

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they're done with Jake, just can't see how they'd sell this to the fans, even if he was found not guilty. It's a stain on his reputation - again. Sure Patrick Kane recovered from his accusations, etc., but Jake isn't a quarter of what Patty Kane is as a player. 

I'm curious why they haven't bought out Eriksson yet. Are they waiting for SEA to claim him? lol 

Patrick Kane also was one of the FEW Black Hawk players that gave any respect to the Canucks publically.  Plus, I don't think much of Cab drivers.:P

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

There is no real cap savings to be had by buying him out vs parking him in Abbotsford for the last year of his contract. It also frees up the cap hit that would have occurred in 22-23 had he been bought out.

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There is no real cap savings to be had by buying him out vs parking him in Abbotsford for the last year of his contract. It also frees up the cap hit that would have occurred in 22-23 had he been bought out.

I believe it would save about an extra $1M almost next year over burying him in the AHL, but add $1M for '22-23. Depends on if Benning really feels he needs that extra $1M of space and is willing to take the cost for 2022-23 to save $1M next year.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I believe it would save about an extra $1M almost next year over burying him in the AHL, but add $1M for '22-23. Depends on if Benning really feels he needs that extra $1M of space and is willing to take the cost for 2022-23 to save $1M next year.

Does also save the owner actual cash to buy him out. That's a real factor to consider as well.

Also gets him the &^@# out of here which is something too :lol:

I'm fine with either route personally.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Cromeslab said:

At this point all u can hope is something of value from Jake,I think the potential is there.

Which is exactly why I wonder if there’s not a thought to keep him for a bit.

A clearer crystal ball would have traded him at TDL prior to his no-show in the playoffs.

At this point he has no value even if he is cleared. But if he could just re-gain a little bit of value and then pass him off to some GM still convince of his ‘potential’ 

30 minutes ago, nzan said:

A clearer crystal ball would have traded him at TDL prior to his no-show in the playoffs.

At this point he has no value even if he is cleared. But if he could just re-gain a little bit of value and then pass him off to some GM still convince of his ‘potential’ 

I think the arrival of Podkolzin and his 925K cap hit vs Virtanen's 2.55Mil contract for next year will be a factor in him being bought out.

IMO; Podkolzin is likely to be an upgrade on Virtanen and Podkolzin is locked in for 3 yrs with his ELC. That cap savings will allow JB to have a bit more flexibility in trying to fill holes on the roster over the next couple of years esp. in 22-23 when Loui, Rooster and Beag's are off the books as well as no recapture BS with the Luongo contract.

34 minutes ago, nzan said:

If after 7 years and JV  has no value, there is no way you can gift him a spot anymore, especially if JB is being aggressive like he has stated he will be

Wasn't LE 30 when he came here and had no value ?

I believe this was a show me year and JB had publicly stated 2x what he wanted from Jake to be and his release will not be because of the investigation, He is just too much distraction for a player who is not a star on the team even