The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

2 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Anyone know how to get the name and numbers changed on your Virtanen jersey?  ;-)

which jersey is it?

there are lots of great neams depending which era you aare rocking

Iggy, Crowder, Antoski, Grisdale, Kariya, Robertson, King (yu could sit with your buddies in their Sedn Jerseys) Fedorov, Rota, Crow, Popiel

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/numbers.html

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I have room in my closet to store it next to my Vey and Megna jerseys :-(

Willie D is that you!? I guess it would be Chaput over Vey if you were him tho...

6 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Anyone know how to get the name and numbers changed on your Virtanen jersey?  ;-)

I like to fight in rec hockey, ship it here and watch me get beat up.

• Haha 3

I look forward to the day (soon) that this is in the alumni section.

I am assuming most buyouts around the league won’t happen until after expansion and the wheeling and dealing that happens around the amateur draft.

• Hydration 2
On 7/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I disagree.

Canucks will likely wait till after the expansion draft to waive him and buy him out. He, IMO, will not be protected and Canucks will wait and see if the Kraken are interested in him. If they do bite, it saves having to buy him out. Not likely to happen but no rush till after expansion draft is over.

Zero chance (imho) the Kraken select him.  Even before these *allegations* (guy hasn't been convicted of anything yet), I have doubts they would pick him if left exposed given his lack of development to date.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Zero chance (imho) the Kraken select him.  Even before these *allegations* (guy hasn't been convicted of anything yet), I have doubts they would pick him if left exposed given his lack of development to date.

they won't but Jake is still useful to us as a qualifying F for expansion. He'll be bought out on the 22nd is my guess. 

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they won't but Jake is still useful to us as a qualifying F for expansion. He'll be bought out on the 22nd is my guess. 

I agree that it is very unlikely they will pick him but still worth a shot as they have nothing to lose by exposing him to the expansion draft. It also frees up as space to protect someone else in his place

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Vintage 1

There's this awesome line in The Royal Tanenbaums where a douche-y Eli Cash (Owen Wilson) says - Everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn, what this book presupposes is, maybe he didn't?

Is there a world in which we could imagine that our presupposition is untrue?

Right now we all expect Benning to move away from Jake with the least amount of cost to the cap.

On the other hand, just a year ago he had some, small limited value.

I guess I find myself wondering if there is any chance that Benning gives Virtanen one more chance if the allegations were to be cleared? 

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1
30 minutes ago, nzan said:

There's this awesome line in The Royal Tanenbaums where a douche-y Eli Cash (Owen Wilson) says - Everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn, what this book presupposes is, maybe he didn't?

Right now we all expect Benning to move away from Jake with the least amount of cost to the cap.

I guess I find myself wondering if there is any chance that Benning gives Virtanen one more chance if the allegations were to be cleared? 

Agreed.  Jake is back in the lineup next Season.  And as soon as he lays a big hit or scores fans will cheer.  

37 minutes ago, nzan said:

I think even taking Jake’s allegations out of the equation, his production just has not been good enough. I think he peaked last season. I was hoping Post-Season Jake was a fluke, but after this season, I don’t believe he’ll ever be a top 6 winger. He’s been given numerous chances under Benning. I think we need to cut our losses and find someone more consistent to slot in on the third line.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Jake is back in the lineup next Season.  And as soon as he lays a big hit or scores fans will cheer.  

I just cant see that happening Alf. Jakes only had flashes of usefulness and hes been a big pain in the ass to the organization. This allegation likely wont be resolved by July 27 and they wont let the buyout window go by particularly if they trade for someone that puts us even a little above the cap.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I think even taking Jake’s allegations out of the equation, his production just has not been good enough. I think he peaked last season. I was hoping Post-Season Jake was a fluke, but after this season, I don’t believe he’ll ever be a top 6 winger. He’s been given numerous chances under Benning. I think we need to cut our losses and find someone more consistent to slot in on the third line.

A fit and not fat (under 210) Jake, who is committed to his conditioning, is an effective player.  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I just cant see that happening Alf. Jakes only had flashes of usefulness and hes been a big pain in the ass to the organization. This allegation likely wont be resolved by July 27 and they wont let the buyout window go by particularly if they trade for someone that puts us even a little above the cap.

For sure I could see us trading Jake to a southern US market, where no one cares.  But, if Jake is fit, and committed to playing hard on pucks, he’s an effective player.  I’m hoping we keep him.  

Just now, Alflives said:

For sure I could see us trading Jake to a southern US market, where no one cares.  But, if Jake is fit, and committed to playing hard on pucks, he’s an effective player.  I’m hoping we keep him.  

Thats the problem tho, hes never really been a committed player. 

• Hydration 2
59 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree that it is very unlikely they will pick him but still worth a shot as they have nothing to lose by exposing him to the expansion draft. It lso frees up as space to protect someone else in his place

Bingo. Hes most useful as a warm body up to expansion. After that hes done.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats the problem tho, hes never really been a committed player. 

I totally agree that Jake is a selfish, lazy, slacker, who is in this life only to serve his basest desires.  But, when fit he can still be a useful player.  Hopefully these allegations are proven true or false before the season.