The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure what our exact situation is, but it might be that we need to keep Virtanen for now to reach the exposure rules for the ED. If that's the case, we probably won't see anything until after the ED and then there's a chance he's bought out, especially because he's so young, making it very affordable in terms of cap expense.

We already have enough forwards that would meet the necessary conditions - Eriksson, Roussel, Highmore and MacEwen.... also Pearson and Motte if either is left unprotected.   (And that's why we aren't seeing any buyouts of Eriksson or Roussel before the ED).  We don't need Virtanen, but my guess is that JB is just biding his time on the off chance that Seattle might select him (some Kraken fans want him) or another team might ask for him to help them meet their exposure requirements

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

We already have enough forwards that would meet the necessary conditions - Eriksson, Roussel, Highmore and MacEwen.... also Pearson and Motte if either is left unprotected.   (And that's why we aren't seeing any buyouts of Eriksson or Roussel before the ED).  We don't need Virtanen, but my guess is that JB is just biding his time on the off chance that Seattle might select him (some Kraken fans want him) or another team might ask for him to help them meet their exposure requirements

And there is still the option Jake plays with us next season too.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And there is still the option Jake plays with us next season too.  

academically I guess. I just don't see it tho Alfie. How do you think he'll be accepted in that locker room now? not well is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

He might be the only Canuck that is booed at player introductions next home opener. 

If they're dumb enough to have this guy ever put on a Canucks jersey again they can't be dumb enough to send him out for that one

I just can't imagine Benning and Aquilni are happy about having to go through this. Lets not forget Jake also really under performed this year, even with the covid excuse. Add to that his buyout is really good. 

Once Seattle picks its team its bye bye Jake. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, captainhorvat said:

This clown should move to Russia and never come back to BC

I'm sorry I was still under the assumption that these were allegations still and he has not been convicted of anything. He is still an effective player that this team needs and i have no problem seeing him in a Canuck uni if the allegations are disproved. He definitey has issues but no player in the line up is perfect and without weaknesses. I think some on here are taking this way too personal IMO.

• Upvote 1

You know what's criminal?  1428 pages and counting on a player who probably doesn't respect and appreciate the talent he's been given.  That's a ton of posts and share of the collective Canucks' mind for a guy who doesn't deserve it. 

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 2

Letting Jake walk would probably be doing him a favour. He can get his head on straight, and maybe give everything he has each game instead of once in 3-4 games. 

What saddens me if if Rick Rypien had Jakes body and skill set, you'd get a player that would never stop working and you'd have a fan favourite because he'd work his tail off every shift. 

All Jake had to do is watch what Hoagy does. If he played like Hoglander every shift, no one would ever complain. 

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I'm sorry I was still under the assumption that these were allegations still and he has not been convicted of anything. He is still an effective player that this team needs and i have no problem seeing him in a Canuck uni if the allegations are disproved. He definitey has issues but no player in the line up is perfect and without weaknesses. I think some on here are taking this way too personal IMO.

You lost me at “still an effective player”

The Office Reaction GIF

• Cheers 1

I do wonder what the Canucks will do with Jake regarding the ED. If they leave him exposed and he gets selected, fantastic. If he gets exposed and Seattle don't take him, we send a pretty clear message to everyone about how we feel about him. If we use up a space and protect him, we show everyone that we've got his back and want to work things out.

Right now I think the 2nd option is going to happen sadly. Seattle would be wise to steer clear from him, even if they just take Holtby and trade him later. Not many teams are going to want a 2M+ project like Jake who just gets harder by the year.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do wonder what the Canucks will do with Jake regarding the ED. If they leave him exposed and he gets selected, fantastic. If he gets exposed and Seattle don't take him, we send a pretty clear message to everyone about how we feel about him. If we use up a space and protect him, we show everyone that we've got his back and want to work things out.

Right now I think the 2nd option is going to happen sadly. Seattle would be wise to steer clear from him, even if they just take Holtby and trade him later. Not many teams are going to want a 2M+ project like Jake who just gets harder by the year.

What is all this about? Jake was accused and is being investigated. I question why it would take multiple months for authorities to determine whether criminal charges should be made or not. They have not. Based on that outcome the Canucks can move forward. Jake is still an asset. He can play the game contrary to many on CDC who over simplify the evaluation. 

Jake like every player on the Canuck roster has to meet the challenge of finding a spot. If he cannot then he will be gone.   

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jake is not being protected. He is done as a Canuck. I don't know how this is even up for debate.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What is all this about? Jake was accused and is being investigated. I question why it would take multiple months for authorities to determine whether criminal charges should be made or not. They have not. Based on that outcome the Canucks can move forward. Jake is still an asset. He can play the game contrary to many on CDC who over simplify the evaluation. 

Jake like every player on the Canuck roster has to meet the challenge of finding a spot. If he cannot then he will be gone.   

Even accusations-aside, I wonder where he sits in their plans (especially after JB sounded like he was getting frustrated and already has traded Gaudette). For what he brings he's probably too expensive (bottom-6 occasional scoring but no penalty killing/defence) and could be replaced by one of our many kids, but he does have some utility.

Then throw the mess of accusations in and make it makes things muddier. Don't know why it's taking so long, but it just throws some extra questions into play.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Letting Jake walk would probably be doing him a favour. He can get his head on straight, and maybe give everything he has each game instead of once in 3-4 games. 

What saddens me if if Rick Rypien had Jakes body and skill set, you'd get a player that would never stop working and you'd have a fan favourite because he'd work his tail off every shift. 

All Jake had to do is watch what Hoagy does. If he played like Hoglander every shift, no one would ever complain. 

Agree 100%.

By the time a player gets to the NHL, it's all about what is between the ears and heart.  Rick Rypien had the heart of a giant.  It's truly a shame that Virtanen has the brain of a bird (to paraphrase Alain Vigneault) and a heart the size of a pea. 

And it's even a greater shame and loss that Rick Rypien left us so early in his life.  Rypper won't be forgotten, whereas Virtanen will be erased from the conscious mindset of Canucks fans (like me).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1