The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake Virtanen could watch the energy of Hoglander 24/7 and he'd never get it. Playing like Hoglander is mental state of mind, it's not his skating. He's thought the game that way since he was a kid. Virtanen is a when i get there I'll knock the other kid off the puck and score a goal  LOL. He thinks and reacts slow

2 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Jake is not being protected. He is done as a Canuck. I don't know how this is even up for debate.

Agreed, whether it's trade, buyout, etc... He is never playing another game for the Canucks again. 

Good riddance, goodbye. 

14 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

You lost me at “still an effective player”

The Office Reaction GIF

Our team is SOFT! Sometimes blinders do that to some people when they have a "Hate On" for a specific player. Not many have the ability to hit and make it count on this team. 

I don't care who hits on this team but somebody needs to. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Jake is not playing up to his potential and may never will. He is not making 6 million either so theres that. He plays defensively responsible, hits and on ocassion, puts up points. 

So he is being accused, but not much else and so there is "innocent until proven guilty" last time I checked. 

LIke I said, some on here make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Our team is SOFT! Sometimes blinders do that to some people when they have a "Hate On" for a specific player. Not many have the ability to hit and make it count on this team. 

I don't care who hits on this team but somebody needs to. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Jake is not playing up to his potential and may never will. He is not making 6 million either so theres that. He plays defensively responsible, hits and on ocassion, puts up points. 

So he is being accused, but not much else and so there is "innocent until proven guilty" last time I checked. 

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Old Virtanen had a place on this team. 2020-21 Virtanen does not. Literally floats around all game and doesn't put up any points. He was outscored by 4th liners this year. Maybe he finds his game and life again somewhere else and I hope he does, but I don't think it'll be here.

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Old Virtanen had a place on this team. 2020-21 Virtanen does not. Literally floats around all game and doesn't put up any points. He was outscored by 4th liners this year. Maybe he finds his game and life again somewhere else and I hope he does, but I don't think it'll be here.

It might not be in Van but until he is moved or is bumped by another player then he plays IMHO. If he is actually charged with a crime then he is also most likely gone. Many players have been accused of doing things that never amounted to much. Virtanen should get his day in court just like anyone else if that is what it comes too. The hockey issue is something else. His performance isn't/wasn't what it has to be but there were any number of his team mates that weren't much better. Many of them are gone and maybe Jake will be too.   

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Virtanen should get his day in court just like anyone else if that is what it comes too. The hockey issue is something else. His performance isn't/wasn't what it has to be but there were any number of his team mates that weren't much better. Many of them are gone and maybe Jake will be too.   

You are right, of course.

But for me, the added factor you didn't mention is that bad decisions seem to surround Jake. Both on and off the ice. He has been given ample time to rectify both, yet not much improves - at least not regularly or consistently. 

Honestly, I'm just done with him. We need that roster spot for a guy who wants to work his ass off and be here.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

You are right, of course.

But for me, the added factor you didn't mention is that bad decisions seem to surround Jake. Both on and off the ice. He has been given ample time to rectify both, yet not much improves - at least not regularly or consistently. 

Honestly, I'm just done with him. We need that roster spot for a guy who wants to work his ass off and be here.

Looks like Lind and Gads will compete with a couple older guys for Jake's spot.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks like Lind and Gads will compete with a couple older guys for Jake's spot.  

Jake doesn't have a spot.  That changed the day our Russian lad signed a contract.

Lind and Gads will compete with the 4th line guys, or with each other for call ups from Abby to Van.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Jake doesn't have a spot.  That changed the day our Russian lad signed a contract.

Lind and Gads will compete with the 4th line guys, or with each other for call ups from Abby to Van.

This. If Podz plays like the Canucks are hoping, he's likely the guy who moves up the lineup if required.  I think the days of putting Jake in a top 6 role are over - if he ever plays for us again. There no point in showcasing him or trying to guide him to the effort level required in a top 6 role. That ship sailed long ago. We are now in exit mode, and if he can't be moved for free AND if there isn't enough evidence to terminate his contract, I see a buyout as the only realistic option.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, kloubek said:

This. If Podz plays like the Canucks are hoping, he's likely the guy who moves up the lineup if required.  I think the days of putting Jake in a top 6 role are over - if he ever plays for us again. There no point in showcasing him or trying to guide him to the effort level required in a top 6 role. That ship sailed long ago. We are now in exit mode, and if he can't be moved for free AND if there isn't enough evidence to terminate his contract, I see a buyout as the only realistic option.

I am fully expecting Podkolzin to be the replacement for Virtanen. It may take him a bit to adapt to a new team, systems and living in Canada but I have very little doubt that it will happen. As for Virtanen; I will be very surprised if he is with the team on opening night be it due to buyout, termination, or packaged in a trade to some other team. IMO most likely he will be bought out.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am fully expecting Podkolzin to be the replacement for Virtanen. It may take him a bit to adapt to a new team, systems and living in Canada but I have very little doubt that it will happen. As for Virtanen; I will be very surprised if he is with the team on opening night be it due to buyout, termination, or packaged in a trade to some other team. IMO most likely he will be bought out.

Me too, on all accounts.

I just want the fans to be patient with Podz. There will be a lot a changes for him and he may very well look rather inept out there to start. He also may or may not have the ceiling we all hope, but if not, he will still be a strong bottom 6 guy for us and despite his draft position, I hope that's enough for the fans if need be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Typical fans inserting rookies before they have played one game in the NHL. If Jake gets outplayed for his spot on the roster then so be it , but Jake is the Guy playing in the NHL right now . Lets just let the chips fall where they may and we field the best line up possible when the season starts. Too much whining and complaining going on here if you ask me.::D

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Typical fans inserting rookies before they have played one game in the NHL. If Jake gets outplayed for his spot on the roster then so be it , but Jake is the Guy playing in the NHL right now . Lets just let the chips fall where they may and we field the best line up possible when the season starts. Too much whining and complaining going on here if you ask me.::D

A lot of CDC'ers on here are looking at the bigger picture and there are a lot of negative factors that will come into play with Jake's status on next years roster. Some of the more notable ones that come to mind are: 1) his cap hit of $2.55 mil next year before being eligible for arbitration rights vs Podkolzin at .925 mil and locked for in 3 years. 2) His less than desirable commitment to training, coming into camp in tip top shape and his lackadaisical performance, at times, when on the ice. 3) Add to that his off ice issues that have come to light even though they are as yet unproven in a court of law and you have a player whose value to the team both as a player and a marketable commodity are very low. While we may not be able to put a dollar value on how a player is viewed in the local market it is something the owners and management are very aware of.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I’ve heard he’s being bought out

From Seravalli, basically confirming what we all knew. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-ice-breakers-rangers-the-team-to-watch-as-nhl-trade-freeze-lifts/

> Other buyouts still expected before the window closes on July 27: Anthony DeAngelo, Martin Jones and Jake Virtanen.

Its sad Jake took his career/talent for granted. Wonder if he'll even be in the NHL next season. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-ice-breakers-rangers-the-team-to-watch-as-nhl-trade-freeze-lifts/

Its sad Jake took his career/talent for granted. Wonder if he'll even be in the NHL next season. 

Clear he enjoys being a hockey player more than he enjoys playing hockey. 

Edited by Zhukini
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hope he figures out his life priorities and that this is the wake-up call he needs.

• Cheers 3