The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Looking through his twitter, most if not all the Canucks are gone from his followers list. That being said, Brock still follows Virt on twitter, but not on IG (I think no one follows Virt there). In fact, I don't think anyone on the team follows AG either. Something really went down during the trade, possibly the covid thing.

There's still several legit Twitter accounts following Jake, including TSN/Sportsnet reporters, and Tara Slone (CBC).

Just an observation.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Hope he figures out his life priorities and that this is the wake-up call he needs.

agree with you, but hey how many wake up call has he received during his time with Canucks. I mean he has been a healthy scratch several times, coaches have benched him, Travis / Jim called him out when he was not in shape at all coming from summer break. So many wake - up calls that haven't changed his mind / work ethic at all. I really hope that we can close this chapter as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

agree with you, but hey how many wake up call has he received during his time with Canucks. I mean he has been a healthy scratch several times, coaches have benched him, Travis / Jim called him out when he was not in shape at all coming from summer break. So many wake - up calls that haven't changed his mind / work ethic at all. I really hope that we can close this chapter as soon as possible.

I personally think being bought out is by far the biggest wake-up call of his career so far. It might be enough, when other smaller things weren't.

• Cheers 1

From top-10 pick to bought out, how many players go down that route in the span of a few seasons I wonder? I mean there's obviously been loads of top pick busts but how many have ended as brutally as a buy out?

I'm sure some team will give him a chance on a cheap contract or maybe even at the AHL level, what he does with that second chance is up to him...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

From top-10 pick to bought out, how many players go down that route in the span of a few seasons I wonder? I mean there's obviously been loads of top pick busts but how many have ended as brutally as a buy out?

I'm sure some team will give him a chance on a cheap contract or maybe even at the AHL level, what he does with that second chance is up to him...

Virtanen's ending might be worse, but at least he's had some sort of NHL career. Scott Scissons of the 1990 draft was also picked 6th and played 2 NHL games.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart isn't that fun to watch the stats of if you look for high picks that didn't pan out 

With that said I have a hard time seeing Virtanen coming back into the NHL soon with the avcusements he has on him at the moment.. Maybe off to Russia? 

Look at the dude from this draft wanting to not get drafted for what he did in Sweden this year 

(Logan Mailloux), he photographed consentual intercourse unconsetially(?) and spread the footage among his teammates 

I apologize if there is grammatically errors in this text as English isn't my first language 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

Yakupov or Griffin Reinhart isn't that fun to watch the stats of if you look for high picks that didn't pan out 

With that said I have a hard time seeing Virtanen coming back into the NHL soon with the avcusements he has on him at the moment.. Maybe off to Russia? 

Look at the dude from this draft wanting to not get drafted for what he did in Sweden this year 

(Logan Mailloux), he photographed consentual intercourse unconsetially(?) and spread the footage among his teammates 

I apologize if there is grammatically errors in this text as English isn't my first language 

It's not that he didn't want to get drafted, haha. However, the consequence of him not getting drafted because of this is very high. Poor decision that impacts his future.

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's not that he didn't want to get drafted, haha. However, the consequence of him not getting drafted because of this is very high. Poor decision that impacts his future.

This one really sux, as he was on my wishlist.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So looks like a buyout of Jake's contract will cost us $50K in cap hit this year then $500K next year then that's it. Worth it if you ask me, that money can go straight to our re-signings and we're going to need every dollar.

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing. It's interesting to see how many fans think Virtanen has any value. About the only chance you have of trading him at this point is;

To receiving team:

Virtanan

5th round pick

To Canucks:

7th round pick.

Doing something like that, you might find a taker who would give him a look based on moving up a couple of rounds. They might not even ask that Canucks retain salary on Virtanen.

It's really sad, he was such a promising prospect, he's done this to himself.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing. It's interesting to see how many fans think Virtanen has any value. About the only chance you have of trading him at this point is;

To receiving team:

Virtanan

5th round pick

To Canucks:

7th round pick.

Doing something like that, you might find a taker who would give him a look based on moving up a couple of rounds. They might not even ask that Canucks retain salary on Virtanen.

It's really sad, he was such a promising prospect, he's done this to himself.

Whichever team is probably better off just letting Vancouver buy him out and then sign him in free agency for league minimum.

• Cheers 2

On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I’ve heard he’s being bought out

Benning all but said so on 650 earlier in the week.  He mentioned keeping him around over the weekend as the draft unfolds, then revisiting at the beginning of the week.  I'd look for it on Monday or Tuesday so they know what money they've got to work with going into free agency. 

• Cheers 1

We gave Jake every opportunity to prove himself and we were very patient with his development. But it seems his poor choices and lack of work ethic are just not going away. At some point the onus has to go to on the player to make the effort to improve and show their commitment. I’d say it’s time to move on. A change of scenery will be good for him, and maybe a buyout will be the wake up call he needs to get his &$*# together. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1