Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, captainhorvat said:

This clown should move to Russia and never come back to BC

I'm sorry I was still under the assumption that these were allegations still and he has not been convicted of anything. He is still an effective player that this team needs and i have no problem seeing him in a Canuck uni if the allegations are disproved. He definitey has issues but no player in the line up is perfect and without weaknesses. I think some on here are taking this way too personal IMO.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what's criminal?  1428 pages and counting on a player who probably doesn't respect and appreciate the talent he's been given.  That's a ton of posts and share of the collective Canucks' mind for a guy who doesn't deserve it. 

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Letting Jake walk would probably be doing him a favour. He can get his head on straight, and maybe give everything he has each game instead of once in 3-4 games. 

What saddens me if if Rick Rypien had Jakes body and skill set, you'd get a player that would never stop working and you'd have a fan favourite because he'd work his tail off every shift. 

 

All Jake had to do is watch what Hoagy does. If he played like Hoglander every shift, no one would ever complain. 

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I'm sorry I was still under the assumption that these were allegations still and he has not been convicted of anything. He is still an effective player that this team needs and i have no problem seeing him in a Canuck uni if the allegations are disproved. He definitey has issues but no player in the line up is perfect and without weaknesses. I think some on here are taking this way too personal IMO.

You lost me at “still an effective player”

 

The Office Reaction GIF

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder what the Canucks will do with Jake regarding the ED. If they leave him exposed and he gets selected, fantastic. If he gets exposed and Seattle don't take him, we send a pretty clear message to everyone about how we feel about him. If we use up a space and protect him, we show everyone that we've got his back and want to work things out.

 

Right now I think the 2nd option is going to happen sadly. Seattle would be wise to steer clear from him, even if they just take Holtby and trade him later. Not many teams are going to want a 2M+ project like Jake who just gets harder by the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do wonder what the Canucks will do with Jake regarding the ED. If they leave him exposed and he gets selected, fantastic. If he gets exposed and Seattle don't take him, we send a pretty clear message to everyone about how we feel about him. If we use up a space and protect him, we show everyone that we've got his back and want to work things out.

 

Right now I think the 2nd option is going to happen sadly. Seattle would be wise to steer clear from him, even if they just take Holtby and trade him later. Not many teams are going to want a 2M+ project like Jake who just gets harder by the year.

What is all this about? Jake was accused and is being investigated. I question why it would take multiple months for authorities to determine whether criminal charges should be made or not. They have not. Based on that outcome the Canucks can move forward. Jake is still an asset. He can play the game contrary to many on CDC who over simplify the evaluation. 

 

Jake like every player on the Canuck roster has to meet the challenge of finding a spot. If he cannot then he will be gone.   

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do wonder what the Canucks will do with Jake regarding the ED. If they leave him exposed and he gets selected, fantastic. If he gets exposed and Seattle don't take him, we send a pretty clear message to everyone about how we feel about him. If we use up a space and protect him, we show everyone that we've got his back and want to work things out.

 

Right now I think the 2nd option is going to happen sadly. Seattle would be wise to steer clear from him, even if they just take Holtby and trade him later. Not many teams are going to want a 2M+ project like Jake who just gets harder by the year.

Jake is not being protected. He is done as a Canuck. I don't know how this is even up for debate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What is all this about? Jake was accused and is being investigated. I question why it would take multiple months for authorities to determine whether criminal charges should be made or not. They have not. Based on that outcome the Canucks can move forward. Jake is still an asset. He can play the game contrary to many on CDC who over simplify the evaluation. 

 

Jake like every player on the Canuck roster has to meet the challenge of finding a spot. If he cannot then he will be gone.   

Even accusations-aside, I wonder where he sits in their plans (especially after JB sounded like he was getting frustrated and already has traded Gaudette). For what he brings he's probably too expensive (bottom-6 occasional scoring but no penalty killing/defence) and could be replaced by one of our many kids, but he does have some utility.

 

Then throw the mess of accusations in and make it makes things muddier. Don't know why it's taking so long, but it just throws some extra questions into play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nucksownyou said:

Jake is not being protected. He is done as a Canuck. I don't know how this is even up for debate.

It is not up for a debate. It is up to Benning and maybe Seattle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Letting Jake walk would probably be doing him a favour. He can get his head on straight, and maybe give everything he has each game instead of once in 3-4 games. 

What saddens me if if Rick Rypien had Jakes body and skill set, you'd get a player that would never stop working and you'd have a fan favourite because he'd work his tail off every shift. 

 

All Jake had to do is watch what Hoagy does. If he played like Hoglander every shift, no one would ever complain. 

Agree 100%.

 

By the time a player gets to the NHL, it's all about what is between the ears and heart.  Rick Rypien had the heart of a giant.  It's truly a shame that Virtanen has the brain of a bird (to paraphrase Alain Vigneault) and a heart the size of a pea. 

 

And it's even a greater shame and loss that Rick Rypien left us so early in his life.  Rypper won't be forgotten, whereas Virtanen will be erased from the conscious mindset of Canucks fans (like me).

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake Virtanen could watch the energy of Hoglander 24/7 and he'd never get it. Playing like Hoglander is mental state of mind, it's not his skating. He's thought the game that way since he was a kid. Virtanen is a when i get there I'll knock the other kid off the puck and score a goal  LOL. He thinks and reacts slow

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Jake is not being protected. He is done as a Canuck. I don't know how this is even up for debate.

Agreed, whether it's trade, buyout, etc... He is never playing another game for the Canucks again. 

 

Good riddance, goodbye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

You lost me at “still an effective player”

 

The Office Reaction GIF

Our team is SOFT! Sometimes blinders do that to some people when they have a "Hate On" for a specific player. Not many have the ability to hit and make it count on this team. 

I don't care who hits on this team but somebody needs to. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Jake is not playing up to his potential and may never will. He is not making 6 million either so theres that. He plays defensively responsible, hits and on ocassion, puts up points. 

So he is being accused, but not much else and so there is "innocent until proven guilty" last time I checked. 

LIke I said, some on here make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Our team is SOFT! Sometimes blinders do that to some people when they have a "Hate On" for a specific player. Not many have the ability to hit and make it count on this team. 

I don't care who hits on this team but somebody needs to. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Jake is not playing up to his potential and may never will. He is not making 6 million either so theres that. He plays defensively responsible, hits and on ocassion, puts up points. 

So he is being accused, but not much else and so there is "innocent until proven guilty" last time I checked. 

LIke I said, some on here make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes. 

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Our team is SOFT! Sometimes blinders do that to some people when they have a "Hate On" for a specific player. Not many have the ability to hit and make it count on this team. 

I don't care who hits on this team but somebody needs to. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that Jake is not playing up to his potential and may never will. He is not making 6 million either so theres that. He plays defensively responsible, hits and on ocassion, puts up points. 

So he is being accused, but not much else and so there is "innocent until proven guilty" last time I checked. 

LIke I said, some on here make a mountain out of a mole hill sometimes. 

Old Virtanen had a place on this team. 2020-21 Virtanen does not. Literally floats around all game and doesn't put up any points. He was outscored by 4th liners this year. Maybe he finds his game and life again somewhere else and I hope he does, but I don't think it'll be here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Old Virtanen had a place on this team. 2020-21 Virtanen does not. Literally floats around all game and doesn't put up any points. He was outscored by 4th liners this year. Maybe he finds his game and life again somewhere else and I hope he does, but I don't think it'll be here.

It might not be in Van but until he is moved or is bumped by another player then he plays IMHO. If he is actually charged with a crime then he is also most likely gone. Many players have been accused of doing things that never amounted to much. Virtanen should get his day in court just like anyone else if that is what it comes too. The hockey issue is something else. His performance isn't/wasn't what it has to be but there were any number of his team mates that weren't much better. Many of them are gone and maybe Jake will be too.   

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Virtanen should get his day in court just like anyone else if that is what it comes too. The hockey issue is something else. His performance isn't/wasn't what it has to be but there were any number of his team mates that weren't much better. Many of them are gone and maybe Jake will be too.   

You are right, of course.

 

But for me, the added factor you didn't mention is that bad decisions seem to surround Jake. Both on and off the ice. He has been given ample time to rectify both, yet not much improves - at least not regularly or consistently. 

 

Honestly, I'm just done with him. We need that roster spot for a guy who wants to work his ass off and be here.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...