Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's not that he didn't want to get drafted, haha. However, the consequence of him not getting drafted because of this is very high. Poor decision that impacts his future.

This one really sux, as he was on my wishlist.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So looks like a buyout of Jake's contract will cost us $50K in cap hit this year then $500K next year then that's it. Worth it if you ask me, that money can go straight to our re-signings and we're going to need every dollar.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So looks like a buyout of Jake's contract will cost us $50K in cap hit this year then $500K next year then that's it. Worth it if you ask me, that money can go straight to our re-signings and we're going to need every dollar.

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing. It's interesting to see how many fans think Virtanen has any value. About the only chance you have of trading him at this point is;

 

To receiving team:

Virtanan

5th round pick

 

To Canucks:

7th round pick.

 

Doing something like that, you might find a taker who would give him a look based on moving up a couple of rounds. They might not even ask that Canucks retain salary on Virtanen.

 

It's really sad, he was such a promising prospect, he's done this to himself.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing. It's interesting to see how many fans think Virtanen has any value. About the only chance you have of trading him at this point is;

 

To receiving team:

Virtanan

5th round pick

 

To Canucks:

7th round pick.

 

Doing something like that, you might find a taker who would give him a look based on moving up a couple of rounds. They might not even ask that Canucks retain salary on Virtanen.

 

It's really sad, he was such a promising prospect, he's done this to himself.

 

Whichever team is probably better off just letting Vancouver buy him out and then sign him in free agency for league minimum.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mll said:

Whichever team is probably better off just letting Vancouver buy him out and then sign him in free agency for league minimum.

Exactly, Canucks are as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I’ve heard he’s being bought out

Benning all but said so on 650 earlier in the week.  He mentioned keeping him around over the weekend as the draft unfolds, then revisiting at the beginning of the week.  I'd look for it on Monday or Tuesday so they know what money they've got to work with going into free agency. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We gave Jake every opportunity to prove himself and we were very patient with his development. But it seems his poor choices and lack of work ethic are just not going away. At some point the onus has to go to on the player to make the effort to improve and show their commitment. I’d say it’s time to move on. A change of scenery will be good for him, and maybe a buyout will be the wake up call he needs to get his &$*# together. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he didn't play like such a floater then I'd definitely miss him more (seeing how he was a high draft pick), but coupled with the potential charges from his lawsuit it doesn't bode well for both his professional and personal life.  Hope he really learns, matures and is motivated to come back as an improved person all around, since he sees how easy it can be earned but then have it all go away.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

 

 

If Jake "The Ripper" gets signed by any NHL team (except Montreal - of course)  I'll be shocked.   I personally suspect that if he eludes prison time for his alleged rape that he'll end up playing on some team deep in Siberia in a "Man's world" country like Russia where we'll never see or hear of him again.  Sad story - especially for his victim!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If Jake "The Ripper" gets signed by any NHL team (except Montreal - of course)  I'll be shocked.   I personally suspect that if he eludes prison time for his alleged rape that he'll end up playing on some team deep in Siberia in a "Man's world" country like Russia where we'll never see or hear of him again.  Sad story - especially for his victim!

Victims?  Read in another thread it appears more women came forward.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...