The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

23 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Who cares! He is no longer a Canuck and that is a good thing IMO.

Your sounding bitter Koot. Shotgun realizes he can take a extra half second to get his shot off and is cashing in. I can still root for him.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Your sounding bitter Koot. Shotgun realizes he can take a extra half second to get his shot off and is cashing in. I can still root for him.  

Not so much bitter as extremely disappointed in him. He was given every chance to succeed and blew it. Other young players would give their eye teeth for the chance to play in the NHL.

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not so much bitter as extremely disappointed in him. He was given every chance to succeed and blew it. Other young players would give their eye teeth for the chance to play in the NHL.

I won't disagree with you. Jake had all the tools except for what counts between the ears. If he burns the KHL up it is more a commentary about the quality of play there than anything else. I don't think we should forget that Jake came into the NHL way to early by all appearances. That is on the Canucks as much as on Jake. Desperate team looking for a savior in a 19 year old. We can watch McCann tonight who got the same treatment. Not good.   

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I won't disagree with you. Jake had all the tools except for what counts between the ears. If he burns the KHL up it is more a commentary about the quality of play there than anything else. I don't think we should forget that Jake came into the NHL way to early by all appearances. That is on the Canucks as much as on Jake. Desperate team looking for a savior in a 19 year old. We can watch McCann tonight who got the same treatment. Not good.   

I was not a fan of the Canucks rushing both players into the NHL when clearly neither were really ready to make that jump. Both should have started in the AHL.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yup. Just look at the players that couldn't crack the Vancouver lineup to go on to have some success in the KHL: Nikolay Goldobin, Linden Vey and Phillip Larsen.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, HomeBrew said:

Yup. Just look at the players that couldn't crack the Vancouver lineup to go on to have some success in the KHL: Nikolay Goldobin, Linden Vey and Phillip Larsen.

As you know, there is more involved. 

6 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

But they couldn't as it was either junior or NHL. 

That's true and that is an unfortunate reality of how the leagues have set up the transfer rules. It is because of this that they wound up in the NHL instead of the AHL were they probably should have played.

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That's true and that is an unfortunate reality of how the leagues have set up the transfer rules. It is because of this that they wound up in the NHL instead of the AHL were they probably should have played.

Completely agree. They should have played in the AHL. 

Broke out of his mini slump with an assist last game.  

Not in the KHL's top 50 in scoring, but 3 ex- Canucks are ... Spooner, Leipsic and Graovac (3 Canadians are in the top 4 ... Audette, Maillet and Knight)

Oh, and Curtis Valk, a Utica signing for 3 seasons, sits 14th in KHL scoring with 18 points after 28 games

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 5:30 AM, Law of Goalies said:

We draft the "safe" good ol Canadian kid. And here we are 7 years after draft day watching him play hockey in Russia. Glad we picked Podkolzin just to shake things up.

Character was supposed to be these good boy Canadians strong suit. How did our scouts blow this so bad ?

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We draft the "safe" good ol Canadian kid. And here we are 7 years after draft day watching him play hockey in Russia. Glad we picked Podkolzin just to shake things up.

Character was supposed to be these good boy Canadians strong suit. How did our scouts blow this so bad ?

I think it was mostly we wanted a big power forward and I'm sure Benning wanted a local kid to bring in the fans and have someone to root for. I honestly blame him, the coach and the development team on what happened to him. If things all went differently, maybe we could have had a better Jake. I mean I remember when he first came to camp overweight, there was a report that stated that he said the coaches told him to add on some weight (of course with the lack of guidance, he went fat instead of muscle). And also, I'm sure he would have done better in juniors and asked to "work on certain aspects of his game" instead of rushing to the NHL.