The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

In the battle of the ex-Canucks, Spartak and SKA St Petersburg are tied 0-0 at the end of the 1st. (Jake had 2 apples last game for Spartak)  Linden Vey isn't having the same success with SKA as he did with CSKA Moscow.  Same with Fanta, he's not so productive this year as last.  I think SKA might be missing Podkolzin who turned out to be a bit of a spark plug for them at the tail end of last season and then the playoffs

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

I think it was mostly we wanted a big power forward and I'm sure Benning wanted a local kid to bring in the fans and have someone to root for. I honestly blame him, the coach and the development team on what happened to him. If things all went differently, maybe we could have had a better Jake. I mean I remember when he first came to camp overweight, there was a report that stated that he said the coaches told him to add on some weight (of course with the lack of guidance, he went fat instead of muscle). And also, I'm sure he would have done better in juniors and asked to "work on certain aspects of his game" instead of rushing to the NHL. 

Hard to blame the development team and the coach when Jake was partying every other day. 

Some players are doomed to fail for a variety of reasons. In Jake’s case it was all in his head. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Hard to blame the development team and the coach when Jake was partying every other day. 

Some players are doomed to fail for a variety of reasons. In Jake’s case it was all in his head. 

or maybe more accurately, whats not in his head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Is there any points thresholds that automatically generate interest from NHL teams for KHL players ? 

What if Jake scores 50 goals 

No doubt. Leading the team in points and being a top player in the league will certainly garner some interest. He would probably earn at least a league minimum 1-year deal with a year like that and maybe even get over $1M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, CupIsComing said:

At the least, we can deduce that the police investigation did not exonerate JV, as the police have recommended charges to the Crown.

Just so you know. There are new guidelines in effect that if there is an allegation only, they have to send it to Crown. Police don’t have a say. Independent evidence doesn’t matter and the system is going to swallow up more of these sort of cases where it is just a he said / she said. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, grandmaster said:

Just so you know. There are new guidelines in effect that if there is an allegation only, they have to send it to Crown. Police don’t have a say. Independent evidence doesn’t matter and the system is going to swallow up more of these sort of cases where it is just a he said / she said. 

Thanks, I was unaware.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, joe-max said:

In his last 10 games in the KHL Jake had 1 assist and is -2, sitting at 9 goals, 7 assist and is -5 in 36 games. Currently tied for 9th on his team in scoring. One cannot exactly say that he has taken the KHL by storm... :ph34r:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/players/1097/all/spartak/

Jake is the classic example of a guy who believes he's a good player, regardless of how much he's overweight, and out of shape, or what he does off the ice.  He's a waste of a roster spot on any team.  He will soon be no longer collecting a big pay check and be pounding nails out in the Valley.  And even then he will still be a lazy lump, who gets fired, and ends up going from one jobsite to another.   But he had a fun decade, and will have lots of stories to tell at the bar.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is the classic example of a guy who believes he's a good player, regardless of how much he's overweight, and out of shape, or what he does off the ice.  He's a waste of a roster spot on any team.  He will soon be no longer collecting a big pay check and be pounding nails out in the Valley.  And even then he will still be a lazy lump, who gets fired, and ends up going from one jobsite to another.   But he had a fun decade, and will have lots of stories to tell at the bar.  

...and that's what it's all about!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

quite inflammatory by Miss Woo.

"Virtanen not in custody"

could it be because he is in a different country?

could it be because the Russian police have not been notified?

could it be because it is likely the middle of the night, over there?

could it be the Russian don't care about the charges here?

could it be the Russians won't care till they get an extradition request?

at least she didn't say "Virtanen fed custody or escaped from jail"   :(

• Vintage 1

I'd say he'll make some sort of court appearance- likely via skype or the like- to submit a plea and get a court date set up.

The wheels of justice can grind slowly.

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Well, seems it's bigger than just hockey stuff that can be swept away and forgotten about.

At least Johnston is correcting himself in his next tweet and saying

"*charge, to be clear. One count. Victim a 23-year-old woman who approached Vancouver Police last year."

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

quite inflammatory by Miss Woo.

"Virtanen not in custody"

could it be because he is in a different country?

could it be because the Russian police have not been notified?

could it be because it is likely the middle of the night, over there?

could it be the Russian don't care about the charges here?

could it be the Russians won't care till they get an extradition request?

at least she didn't say "Virtanen fed custody or escaped from jail"   :(

Not her wording - it's VPD that specifies he is not in custody in their news release.

• Thanks 1