The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 minutes ago, Devron said:

Cheered for that guy to be an NHLEr. Yuck 

I even had my picture taken with him and we joked around a bit.

Ew

Honestly, I hope all those dragging the accuser through the mud learn something.  I mean, he still has to be proven guilty but it seems the narrative of "gold digger" that's quickly applied to alleged victims should be restrained a bit.  Both sides deserve due process.  I want to feel bad for Jake, as a young guy who was still learning how to do life back then, but I can't.  Because if you're aware enough to try to coerce (force) someone to do something you have to also be aware enough to know of the consequences you may face.  If not, you've just enrolled in a crash course.

The fact that there are charges being brought against him make it more weighted in her favour for me.  Victims who come forward deserve to be "believed" until there's reason not to.  It's likely not easy bringing that kind of stuff forward, as the judgement involved is very heavy.  Sadly.

When a store is robbed we don't say "well, the store owner deserved it for keeping the place open and working alone at night".

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

On 11/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We draft the "safe" good ol Canadian kid. And here we are 7 years after draft day watching him play hockey in Russia. Glad we picked Podkolzin just to shake things up.

Character was supposed to be these good boy Canadians strong suit. How did our scouts blow this so bad ?

I wonder about that often too. 

Either the scouts wanted Nylander or Ehlers, as well as Benning, or ownership wanted the local kid. IF that’s true, then that’s what happens when ownership gets involved in hockey ops. That was one bad pick. 

Virtanen can’t even crack it in the KHL. The guy’s hockey career could be over sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Not her wording - it's VPD that specifies he is not in custody in their news release.

Then they should be ashamed of their inflammatory wording.

might even be something that gets brought up at trial.

"prejudicial" or something like that.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Unfortunately, until his recap is off the books ('23), we're still gonna be giving money to this waste.

I'm not so sure of that. JR will probably try to retro actively terminate his contract now that he officially commited a crime. With how dire out cap situation is, I assume this will be at the top of JRs list if it is possible.

• Like 3

Just now, 73 Percent said:

I'm not so sure of that. JR will probably try to retro actively terminate his contract now that he officially commited a crime. With how dire out cap situation is, I assume this will be at the top of JRs list if it is possible.

No clue how that would work under the CBA, but I sure hope you're right that that would still be an option.

• Vintage 1

Very disappointed and even moreso that he did this garbage as a Canuck. He's gonna have to face the consequences and rightly so. I hope whatever punishment he gets helps him figure out how to treat people with respect, because he clearly didn't understand that while he was here.

I'm proud of the victim for coming forward with this to the police.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unfortunately Jake won’t be the first or last  to have legal issues. There’s no excuse to behave like a scumbag. 

Imagine having both of him and Kane in the locker room together. 

Besties those two would be. 

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

That was my hope too.  Pretty ridiculous to still be paying him under the circumstances.

Just because he's charged, doesn't make him guilty. This shouldn't be forgotten.  With that said, this is pretty sad all around and I hope the truth is found and judged appropriately.  There's an awful culture within the sport and events like these need to be dealt with appropriately.  If guilty, I hope he never plays an NHL game again.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

When was the last time you heard Crosby involved in a Scandal like this? Bergeron? Bo?

The two Kanes and Jake. Don't know why anyone is surprised. 

To his credit, Patrick has matured a fair bit over the years I think.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

To his credit, Patrick has matured a fair bit over the years I think.

Yeah I think he did. Didn’t Patrick Kane come from a good family too? I know he is the only brother of three sisters. He’s a father now too. 

Any mistakes you make on that level isn’t gonna go past 3 sisters and a mother. They’ll put your head back on straight. 

I remember him getting pretty emotional when his grandfather died so that led me to think he has good family bonds.