The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 11/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, CupIsComing said:

At the least, we can deduce that the police investigation did not exonerate JV, as the police have recommended charges to the Crown.

Just so you know. There are new guidelines in effect that if there is an allegation only, they have to send it to Crown. Police don’t have a say. Independent evidence doesn’t matter and the system is going to swallow up more of these sort of cases where it is just a he said / she said. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, grandmaster said:

Just so you know. There are new guidelines in effect that if there is an allegation only, they have to send it to Crown. Police don’t have a say. Independent evidence doesn’t matter and the system is going to swallow up more of these sort of cases where it is just a he said / she said. 

Thanks, I was unaware.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, joe-max said:

In his last 10 games in the KHL Jake had 1 assist and is -2, sitting at 9 goals, 7 assist and is -5 in 36 games. Currently tied for 9th on his team in scoring. One cannot exactly say that he has taken the KHL by storm... :ph34r:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/players/1097/all/spartak/

Jake is the classic example of a guy who believes he's a good player, regardless of how much he's overweight, and out of shape, or what he does off the ice.  He's a waste of a roster spot on any team.  He will soon be no longer collecting a big pay check and be pounding nails out in the Valley.  And even then he will still be a lazy lump, who gets fired, and ends up going from one jobsite to another.   But he had a fun decade, and will have lots of stories to tell at the bar.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is the classic example of a guy who believes he's a good player, regardless of how much he's overweight, and out of shape, or what he does off the ice.  He's a waste of a roster spot on any team.  He will soon be no longer collecting a big pay check and be pounding nails out in the Valley.  And even then he will still be a lazy lump, who gets fired, and ends up going from one jobsite to another.   But he had a fun decade, and will have lots of stories to tell at the bar.  

...and that's what it's all about!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

quite inflammatory by Miss Woo.

"Virtanen not in custody"

could it be because he is in a different country?

could it be because the Russian police have not been notified?

could it be because it is likely the middle of the night, over there?

could it be the Russian don't care about the charges here?

could it be the Russians won't care till they get an extradition request?

at least she didn't say "Virtanen fed custody or escaped from jail"   :(

• Vintage 1

I'd say he'll make some sort of court appearance- likely via skype or the like- to submit a plea and get a court date set up.

The wheels of justice can grind slowly.

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Well, seems it's bigger than just hockey stuff that can be swept away and forgotten about.

At least Johnston is correcting himself in his next tweet and saying

"*charge, to be clear. One count. Victim a 23-year-old woman who approached Vancouver Police last year."

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

quite inflammatory by Miss Woo.

"Virtanen not in custody"

could it be because he is in a different country?

could it be because the Russian police have not been notified?

could it be because it is likely the middle of the night, over there?

could it be the Russian don't care about the charges here?

could it be the Russians won't care till they get an extradition request?

at least she didn't say "Virtanen fed custody or escaped from jail"   :(

Not her wording - it's VPD that specifies he is not in custody in their news release.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Devron said:

Cheered for that guy to be an NHLEr. Yuck 

I even had my picture taken with him and we joked around a bit.

Ew

Honestly, I hope all those dragging the accuser through the mud learn something.  I mean, he still has to be proven guilty but it seems the narrative of "gold digger" that's quickly applied to alleged victims should be restrained a bit.  Both sides deserve due process.  I want to feel bad for Jake, as a young guy who was still learning how to do life back then, but I can't.  Because if you're aware enough to try to coerce (force) someone to do something you have to also be aware enough to know of the consequences you may face.  If not, you've just enrolled in a crash course.

The fact that there are charges being brought against him make it more weighted in her favour for me.  Victims who come forward deserve to be "believed" until there's reason not to.  It's likely not easy bringing that kind of stuff forward, as the judgement involved is very heavy.  Sadly.

When a store is robbed we don't say "well, the store owner deserved it for keeping the place open and working alone at night".

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

On 11/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We draft the "safe" good ol Canadian kid. And here we are 7 years after draft day watching him play hockey in Russia. Glad we picked Podkolzin just to shake things up.

Character was supposed to be these good boy Canadians strong suit. How did our scouts blow this so bad ?

I wonder about that often too. 

Either the scouts wanted Nylander or Ehlers, as well as Benning, or ownership wanted the local kid. IF that’s true, then that’s what happens when ownership gets involved in hockey ops. That was one bad pick. 

Virtanen can’t even crack it in the KHL. The guy’s hockey career could be over sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Not her wording - it's VPD that specifies he is not in custody in their news release.

Then they should be ashamed of their inflammatory wording.

might even be something that gets brought up at trial.

"prejudicial" or something like that.

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

Then they should be ashamed of their inflammatory wording.

might even be something that gets brought up at trial.

"prejudicial" or something like that.

I don't see how it's inflammatory.  "Not in custody" is a statement of fact.  

He was a free citizen, and was not required to be arrested or have his freedom of movement restricted prior to the charge being laid.  He chose to leave the country to pursue employment opportunities.  Now that he's been charged, they're just stating that he's not in custody at this point, which is the truth.  I would think it's pretty standard wording on the VPD's part.

• Thanks 1