The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

the secret "Rape Slush Fund"

Sadly every one knows the enrollment in minor hockey is falling because of the expense and yet here's Hockey Canada stashing away millions rather than lower enrollment fees. Bad management. As to JV I doubt he can chew gum and tie his shoes laces at the same time

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While I agree with what you've said, fact of the matter is (as we've just found out this week) is that if this sort of sexual assault happens at the minor level then you'd have the secret  "Hockey Canada 'RAPE FUND'" cover your sins, as they'd buy the silence of your victims with an out of court settlement to save you and the association any "discomfort".  What kind of message has that established for players?

That is the double standard and reality of the current situation in hockey today and why this sort of thing carries over into the pro level.   Until the entire board of Hockey Canada resigns and the secret "Rape Slush Fund" eliminated and some proper ethics and guidlines put into place at the foundational level, this sort of thing will continue to happen.    The Solution has to start right at the minor level !  (No wonder our kids hockey fees have been so high over the years!!!!)

As for Jake "The Rippers" liklihood of still being in the NHL, you might be right there as well.  He probably would have been traded to some eastern bottom feeder team for something and had another year or so in the league but in all probability his laziness and poor work ethic would have caught up with him on that team and he'd be written off as deadwood and playing in the KHL or Euro League anyways.

Well, here we go again.  Another Junior team in the news for RAPE.  This time the 2003 squad.   Looks like the "Hockey Canada 'RAPE FUND'" will be in action again!

NOTE: Even before this goes to trial, I think we can all assume that Kyle Welwood is innocent, as we all know he would choose donuts over sex any day of the week!

21 hours ago, JM_ said:

If whats been reported so far is accurate, he failed to poke any holes in the accusers telling of events. All he did was try to tear down her character which he failed at as well (evidenced by his apology to her today - pretty much blows any credibility that line of questions had).

I kinda thought the same thing. But at the end of the day, the onus is on prosecution to come up with evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and in a case like this I imagine doing so is extremely challenging. She voluntarily went to his hotel room, and as mentioned, then it becomes a he said she said.

When I was going to high school. I was taking Law 12. Our teacher took us down to the court house. So we watched some trials. 

I was watching a rape trial, now I understand the defence attorney has to work to defend his client. But this bastard lawyer ripped into the victim. 

Basically screaming "You wanted it didn't you? You were just enticing him?". The poor girl burst into tears saying no. And there was the judge. Watching the proceedings and 

looking bored. I had to leave the gallery I was so appalled. The judge could have asked the lawyer to tone it down a notch. 

That turned me off criminal law completely. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So hypothetical, what happens if Jake is deemed not guilty? 

The contract is over. Does the team just pay him what he's owed and the cap penalty gets removed? 

What happens? 
Or does this go to court? 

I thought w3 bought him out?  We pay him 500k this year, regardless of whether he’s in prison or not, no?

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So hypothetical, what happens if Jake is deemed not guilty? 

The contract is over. Does the team just pay him what he's owed and the cap penalty gets removed? 

What happens? 
Or does this go to court? 

Pretty sure we bought him out and that is entirely independent from his court case. It is different from the E. Kane situation, I believe.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Pretty sure we bought him out and that is entirely independent from his court case. It is different from the E. Kane situation, I believe.

He essentially is a UFA, can sign with anyone.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

I kinda thought the same thing. But at the end of the day, the onus is on prosecution to come up with evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, and in a case like this I imagine doing so is extremely challenging. She voluntarily went to his hotel room, and as mentioned, then it becomes a he said she said.

not being in the room its hard to know, but from the text of her testimony it seems pretty compelling to me. Curious what he's going to say. 

3 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I think a few people on this thread owe Jake an apology.

guilty until proven innocent eh

FTR Im not saying Jake was a choir boy either.  Put himself in a situation (among other things) that for all intents and purposes ruined his NHL career

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

So here we are....

Another situation where a woman may have derailed, if not ruined a young mans career...

As in any case like this, his reputation will be tarnished forever, despite being cleared in court.

I will not comment, on whether I think, he is guilty or not, as my opinion isn't irrelevant, but I think, it should have been dealt with faster/ sooner.

Athletes only have short careers, and this will not only have hit him development wise, but also financially...

We can all agree, that Vitanen prior to this hadn't become, what we had hoped he would, but that is kind of irrelevant.

Imagine if Podz ended up in the same situation (unlikely since he is married), but a similar player... 

Let me just add, that if he did commit the sexual assault, I feel sorry for the woman in question. But he has now been cleared in court...  so we will have to assume, he didn't do it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

So here we are....

Another situation where a woman may have derailed, if not ruined a young mans career...

As in any case like this, his reputation will be tarnished forever, despite being cleared in court.

I will not comment, on whether I think, he is guilty or not, as my opinion isn't irrelevant, but I think, it should have been dealt with faster/ sooner.

Athletes only have short careers, and this will not only have hit him development wise, but also financially...

We can all agree, that Vitanen prior to this hadn't become, what we had hoped he would, but that is kind of irrelevant.

Imagine if Podz ended up in the same situation (unlikely since he is married), but a similar player... 

Let me just add, that if he did commit the sexual assault, I feel sorry for the woman in question. But he has now been cleared in court...  so we will have to assume, he didn't do it. 

Development wise?  He had plenty of time to develop and take his career seriously.   He failed.

• Like 1

Gotta feel bad for Virtanen he's had his career essentially ruined over this, even if you don't think he could kept up in the NHL still, he would have done fine in the KHL yet he still got dropped from his team due to this, sometimes it's best to believe innocent untill proven guilty and this case is a prime example of it