The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, mpass1 said:

Do you think we'll see him in the NHL again? 

I think so.

Though he was a minus 5 in the KHL he got 16 points in 36 games,

Probably could have done more if he didn't have the allegations hanging over him, the accusers  on social media, the news, the case, the court.

I think he will bounce back with success. 

• Cheers 1

Joulevi got another contract. Jake would have to put some very serious effort into his game to have any opportunity. The 2 Kanes got more chances with sketchy personal backgrounds. More to do with Jake's attitude towards hockey after all this. He might pack it in and try another direction. If the jury was right and he was not guilty I can see lawsuits against the Canucks, the NHL and his accuser. His career earnings will have been impacted from this. 

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Joulevi got another contract. Jake would have to put some very serious effort into his game to have any opportunity. The 2 Kanes got more chances with sketchy personal backgrounds. More to do with Jake's attitude towards hockey after all this. He might pack it in and try another direction. If the jury was right and he was not guilty I can see lawsuits against the Canucks, the NHL and his accuser. His career earnings will have been impacted from this. 

lawsuits for what, exactly? 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I disagree, any responsible team or corporation would have, and should have done the same if allegations such as this came out. The accuser for sure, but not the first two.

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I disagree, any responsible team or corporation would have, and should have done the same if allegations such as this came out. The accuser for sure, but not the first two.

you'd have to show that she falsified evidence. The crown found her credible and chose to pursue it, so there's that barrier to overcome. 

I guess he could try, but whats he going to win? its highly unlikely she has any serious money to go after. 

As far as the Canucks go, they did nothing wrong on any of this. Nothing illegal or slanderous about a buy out. 

13 minutes ago, Bell said:

The team and Jake mutually parted ways.  I really can't see how a lawsuit would come about.

Is a buyout mutual? I figured the Canucks made the decision, not the two of them together.

BS, didn't see any such executive decision making by the Blackhawks when Patrick Kane was accused. I thought this whole affair was lame without any due process.

I still wonder if this happened to say Henrik Sedin in 2010 when he had 112 points, what then? Or McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon. This world is filled with rank hypocrisy, reading all these condemnations passed in judgement by know it all's, spare us the sanctimonious outrage perched on your moral high ground.

wretched souls. 

Then let the one among you who has never sinned cast the first stone.

I hope Jake gets another opportunity with an NHL team, and makes the most of it. The way he openly wept when they read the verdict makes me think he was not only relieved, but remorseful. I hope he learned his lesson. 

Edited by Nave

Just now, Nave said:

I hope Jake gets another opportunity with an NHL team, and makes the most of it. The way he openly wept when they read the verdict makes me think he was not only relieved, but remorseful. I hope he learned his lesson. 

I would like nothing more than for him to show growth and make a big comeback.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, johngould21 said:

But isn't that the issue? He was found innocent. His career earnings potential has been harmed, thusly a suit to recover. Yes, a case can be made that Jake's long term income was being impacted by his level of play. No argument. If he had no future in the NHL then many players end up in Europe making a living playing hockey. This charge and subsequent acquital has impacted his long term earnings potential and possibly his ability to get a job. I don't know the detail of how the Canucks and the NHL were able to drum Virtanen from the league but I suspect he will have cause to recover funds. Obviously a guess on my part.    

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

OK, I'd guess most here haven't been accused of sexual assault.

One of the scariest days of my life, started out just fine.

I was walking in a wooded pathway between the end of one street, Franklin ave. and the Barnett street police station in Powell River.

Things were going great till I was walking past 4 teen girls. One of them, starts yelling "Rape". I ran  to the police station, and tried to report what happened.

At first all I got from them was " Why are you so worried?."

I was amazed that I had to explain that false allegations are incredibly serious. Stressing that ' if those kids get attacked, suddenly, by someone else- likely all they'll 

remember is me. Also they accuse the wrong person and if that dude was a rapist-he might well have shot them to keep them silent.'

The cops finally sent a constable to find the gals and explain just how wrong it is to do that to anyone.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Does anyone think that the Edmonton Oilers would dump Conner McDavid if he was accused like Jake?

They'd be the screaming due process and rightfully so, but it does highlight the double standards between the haves and have nots. I'd be curious to see how this was handled if Jake had scored 40 goals and 100 points the previous season.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, newgm said:

Does anyone think that the Edmonton Oilers would dump Conner McDavid if he was accused like Jake?

They'd be the screaming due process and rightfully so, but it does highlight the double standards between the haves and have nots. I'd be curious to see how this was handled if Jake had scored 40 goals and 100 points the previous season.

Let's see how the NHL deals with Katz the Coilers owner.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, newgm said:

Sorry but that ‘what if’ misses the mark. Would the Oilers dump CM under the same circumstances? Of course not. CM would be entitled to due process just like JV and everyone else. But here’s the rub - CM has no history of showing up fat, lazy and disinterested over a prolonged period of time. Jake didn’t train or dedicate himself to to being a pro and he just wasn’t worth the drama and bad press for the team to keep him around. The thing is he didn’t score 40 goals and 100 points the previous season, although interestingly enough he did score 45 goals and 100 pts, over his 6 seasons with the team. That doesn’t buy a guy much extra rope.

Like any employee anywhere if you are more trouble than you’re worth eventually you’re gone.
That said, I wish him well if he ever decides to apply himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2