The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm always rooting for someone to turn their life around and become a better person. That said, if he doesn't want it, he won't get it, nor does he deserve it. The change has to happen internally before any substantial external change will happen.

I get that from a general humanity pov. But I've learned over the years that sometimes there are folks that just can't be helped. 

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I get that from a general humanity pov. But I've learned over the years that sometimes there are folks that just can't be helped. 

This is true. Jake, just like anyone of us, are responsible for who we are, and become. 

There's no passing the buck. 

• Vintage 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, King Loui said:

All this talk about him not "wanting it".  The kid just isn't any good.  I've never seen such a bad player be given so many opportunities.  Crazy 

True enough - he isn't any good. But that's *because* he hasn't done the things he needed to in order to be successful. Part of that is likely because he doesn't seem like the sharpest guy, but the other part is his lack of passion and commitment. We've all seen his speed and physicality when he wanted to display those elements. There is no doubt in my mind he had the tools that would have provided him a 3rd line career at minimum - if he only choose to grow up and give his all.

• Upvote 1

It's game over for Jake "The Ripper", Here's the final Report from the Oilers: "He played in six of Edmonton’s seven pre-season games, but never showed the kind of urgency one might expect from a player in a last-ditch attempt to get his foot back in the NHL."

He can now move on to his future career as a Coal Chucker & Tractor salesman at the Abbotsford farm Auto-Mall.

shawn hays GIF by Quickpagetractor dancing GIFwheel driver GIFdodge GIFDance Mocking GIF - Dance Mocking Balloon Man GIFsShamwow Points GIF - Shamwow Points You GIFsUsed Car Salesman GIF - No Credit GIFs

Edited by RU SERIOUS

He obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes yet. He had a chance and didn't capitalize.

For what it's worth, I felt he would get another chance and he did. I also did say that it would be up to him to change mentally... and he didn't. lol

Will he get another chance in the future? Maybe? But now I'm starting to have my doubts as he's going to have even more to prove if he's even going to get another tryout.

Edited by The Lock

On 10/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, kloubek said:

True enough - he isn't any good. But that's *because* he hasn't done the things he needed to in order to be successful. Part of that is likely because he doesn't seem like the sharpest guy, but the other part is his lack of passion and commitment. We've all seen his speed and physicality when he wanted to display those elements. There is no doubt in my mind he had the tools that would have provided him a 3rd line career at minimum - if he only choose to grow up and give his all.

I agree in a way, but he's not good because he's too dumb.  If you're too dumb to commit, it means you're not any good and he was always this way.  His skill was majorly overrated as well though.  His point totals in the W were nothing special, he completely embarrassed himself at both WJHC's, he was stuck on a line with McDavid in his first and didn't produce squat and was quickly taken off that line, then the next he took the dumbest double minor penalty of all time in a Quarter? or Semi-final game..   His AHL totals were atrocious, his NHL totals were atrocious.  He could skate fast and shoot hard, that was it.  He should of went right where Button had him, in the 2nd round, then he should of been brought along verrryyy slowly, instead Benning had to be a hero and draft  the hometown kid and rush him into the NHL right away 

I've never seen such a bad player be given so many opportunities to flat out fail.  I do feel bad for him now though after the false accusations against him, basically ruining his reputation and now having these memories of playing for his hometown team and the failures that came with it.

12 minutes ago, King Loui said:

I agree in a way, but he's not good because he's too dumb.  If you're too dumb to commit, it means you're not any good and he was always this way.  His skill was majorly overrated as well though.  His point totals in the W were nothing special, he completely embarrassed himself at both WJHC's, he was stuck on a line with McDavid in his first and didn't produce squat and was quickly taken off that line, then the next he took the dumbest double minor penalty of all time in a Quarter? or Semi-final game..   His AHL totals were atrocious, his NHL totals were atrocious.  He could skate fast and shoot hard, that was it.  He should of went right where Button had him, in the 2nd round, then he should of been brought along verrryyy slowly, instead Benning had to be a hero and draft  the hometown kid and rush him into the NHL right away 

I've never seen such a bad player be given so many opportunities to flat out fail.  I do feel bad for him now though after the false accusations against him, basically ruining his reputation and now having these memories of playing for his hometown team and the failures that came with it.

I think to say Virtanen's NHL numbers were atrocious would be to suffer from recency bias. In 2019-20. he scored 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, on pace for 21 goals and 21 assists in 82 games--very strong numbers for a third liner or perhaps average numbers for a 2nd liner. He definitely showed that he had the ability to make it in the NHL, but he lacked the work ethic and overall mentality to achieve long-term success.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think to say Virtanen's NHL numbers were atrocious would be to suffer from recency bias. In 2019-20. he scored 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, on pace for 21 goals and 21 assists in 82 games--very strong numbers for a third liner or perhaps average numbers for a 2nd liner. He definitely showed that he had the ability to make it in the NHL, but he lacked the work ethic and overall mentality to achieve long-term success.

Yeah when he was throwing wrist shots from the corner and they would somehow knick off the corner of a goalies glove and in.  It was a one off year.  He followed that season with 5 goals 0 assists in 38 games the next season... I don't care how uncommitted you are, if you have any amount of real NHL talent you can somehow get an assist in 38 games, can't you?

Lot's of players can put up a 36 point season if they are continuously given the chance and happen to find some luck

19 points in 65 AHL games

16 points in 36 KHL games

Sorry but the kid just flat out was never even close to being an NHL'er yet was still given another chance this year.  Mindboggling to me, personally

• 5 weeks later...

Could be a lot of things worse in life than having to play out your career in Switzerland.  What a beautiful place to live.  I would imagine Jake will be living on the poorer side with his salary and the ridiculous cost of living there.

18 minutes ago, Bell said:

Could be a lot of things worse in life than having to play out your career in Switzerland.  What a beautiful place to live.  I would imagine Jake will be living on the poorer side with his salary and the ridiculous cost of living there.

"1st world problems".:lol:  He ain't going to be buying from the 'value menu' section at Rotten Ronalds.:P

• 3 months later...

He was suspended from his team after a physical altercation with a teammate the rest of the players made an ultimatum to boot him.

They didn’t want a PPG player for their playoff run he was that toxic to the team.

How crappy a person do you have to be not to smarten up even after all that had happened with him and being punted from the NHL.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/swiss-team-ready-to-ditch-jake-virtanen-after-fracas-with-teammate?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3hA9VGEq0fe83RLe5MA991rOs-sn_15jArs1f3DmelSeCcx2BYcmhsctM&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#Echobox=1675815278

https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/valais/haut-valais/viege/hockey-jake-virtanen-a-ete-ecarte-du-hc-viege-pour-ses-ecarts-de-comportement-1261414

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

He was suspended from his team after a physical altercation with a teammate the rest of the players made an ultimatum to boot him.

They didn’t want a PPG player for their playoff run he was that toxic to the team.

How crappy a person do you have to be not to smarten up even after all that had happened with him and being punted from the NHL.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/swiss-team-ready-to-ditch-jake-virtanen-after-fracas-with-teammate?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3hA9VGEq0fe83RLe5MA991rOs-sn_15jArs1f3DmelSeCcx2BYcmhsctM&mibextid=Zxz2cZ#Echobox=1675815278

https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/valais/haut-valais/viege/hockey-jake-virtanen-a-ete-ecarte-du-hc-viege-pour-ses-ecarts-de-comportement-1261414

Dear Jake.

BCIT. Pick up a trade.