The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Four out of nine Benning's first round picks for the Sabers were busts, so I would be more worried about that.

The following list of names are players that were drafted under Buffalo when Benning was the Director of amateur scouting

Ales Kotalik 6th round 594 NHL games. 1998

Dmitri Kalinin 1st round 592 NHL games. 1998

Ryan Miller 5th round 585 NHL games 1999

Paul Gaustad 7th round 617 NHL games. 2000

2001's

Derek Roy 2nd round 692 nhl games

Chris Thorburn 2nd round 558 nhl games

Jason Pominville 2nd round 703 nhl games

Keith Ballard 1st round. 604 NHL games

Daniel Paille 1st round 534 NHL games.

Dennis Wideman 8th round 663 NHL games.

Thomas Vanek 1st round 696 games

Clarke MacArthur 3rd round 517 NHL games

Jan Hejda 4th round 581 NHL games

Drew Stafford still in the NHL

Andrej Sekera still in the NHL

Patrick Kaleta still in the NHL

all the players except for the 2 players from the 98 draft are still in the NHL although there is always hit and miss, his record as a amateur scout with Buffalo far exceeds Vancouvers in that same same, (98-04)

Here it is. Sorry about the bad quality (audio and video). Gotta work with what the stream gives me. I panned the footage to appear smaller, which I was hoping would help make it look a little clearer. I haven't had a chance to look it over for any editing errors so I apologize in advance if anything has gone wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlFBkb4_2c

Nice work..you are tireless at this and much appreciated.

Here it is. Sorry about the bad quality (audio and video). Gotta work with what the stream gives me. I panned the footage to appear smaller, which I was hoping would help make it look a little clearer. I haven't had a chance to look it over for any editing errors so I apologize in advance if anything has gone wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlFBkb4_2c

Ok so i watched it and. Virtanen likes to cheat in the defensive zone and kinda floats. And in the offensive zone he's doesn't like going to the boards. But overall i really liked what i saw from him. He's getting better by the game. strong overall game by him.

Speed doesn't always mean the "right" guy for our team. If Hansen gets beat out by Virtanen for example, too bad for Hansen. There are a lot of speedy players in this league who end up being tossed off the wayside simply because they didn't bring more than the guy replacing them.

The Hansen hate is goofy sometimes on here. The guy had one bad season. Hes an amazing 4th liner. He also has a no trade clause. Im one of Virtanens biggest homers, hes a gem of a prospect but he wont beat out hansen next season. He needs to learn to play solid defense first.

The Hansen hate is goofy sometimes on here. The guy had one bad season. Hes an amazing 4th liner. He also has a no trade clause. Im one of Virtanens biggest homers, hes a gem of a prospect but he wont beat out hansen next season. He needs to learn to play solid defense first.

This.

Virtannen's skating, shooting is NHL like, add to that, his physical play.

but yes, I think he needs to improve his game without the puck.

give him another year in the Dub, let him mature.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen is going to be his own player, he isnt going to be kassian 2.0, 3.0 or even 100.0

They are both big and fast but other then that they arent really the same. Kassian is a playmaker with a nasty side and Jakes is an agitator/sniper/forechecker. I think Virtanen will turn out the better player but Kassian doesnt deserve the hate at only 23 years old.

I thought Jake was wearing #77 in the green jerseys when he was skating with the canucks this training camp (Not contact obviously).

Yeah he was, its a cool number, I wonder if he will take 18 if its available when he makes the Canucks. I kinda want him to wear 77 haha

Edited by VANcanucks92

Yeah he was, its a cool number, I wonder if he will take 18 if its available when he makes the Canucks. I kinda want him to wear 77 haha

Someone asked him what number he was going to take when he makes the team...

And he answered that he wasn't sure which number yet, so it may be a surprise.

But someone did tweet him a pic of a customized Canucks jersey with his name on the back and the number #77 and he faved it.

I doubt Jake gets a high number - they made an exception for Bo because of the story (tribute to a late friend), and it's only #53. But then again, it may have been a Gillis thing.

New regime I dont think they care, Benning was in Boston when they had high numbers, and Virtanen was wearing 77 in training camp, whether he chose it idk, its a cool number though. 18 suits him tho