The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Captain material, Horvat seems like the same type of guy. It'll be cool to see a transition of leaders like the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler (already gone) to guys like Virtanen, Horvat and possibly Cassels, McCann and Gaunce.

• Upvote 1

They are both big and fast but other then that they arent really the same. Kassian is a playmaker with a nasty side and Jakes is an agitator/sniper/forechecker. I think Virtanen will turn out the better player but Kassian doesnt deserve the hate at only 23 years old.

They could play on the same line someday with McCann in the middle...

• Upvote 1

The minute JV moved up to the 2nd line it got faster and generated more offense. I like Lazar but find McDavid a little off. I have not seen him play much so nothing to compare to. Canada has to get production from this line for success. I am looking forward to the USA game with this line going from the start.

@markhmasters: Lazar on scrum w Finns in 3rd: "Jake & I were bugging Connor. He didn't want to get in there. Up to us Western guys to take care of that."

@markhmasters: Virtanen on coming to Lazar's defence: "Sticking up for my teammate & let them know we're not going to take that lightly esp w our captain"

God I love this kid haha

The minute JV moved up to the 2nd line it got faster and generated more offense. I like Lazar but find McDavid a little off. I have not seen him play much so nothing to compare to. Canada has to get production from this line for success. I am looking forward to the USA game with this line going from the start.

Ritchie looked pretty good after the switch up too. The line up seemed to improve all around.

One thing we gotta do is quit the one man army bs. Aside from the top line, everyone seems to try to be the star and forgets their linemates. Nurse is the worst for it! If we don't move the puck, we're asking for it in the elimination rounds.

• Upvote 1

Ritchie looked pretty good after the switch up too. The line up seemed to improve all around.

One thing we gotta do is quit the one man army bs. Aside from the top line, everyone seems to try to be the star and forgets their linemates. Nurse is the worst for it! If we don't move the puck, we're asking for it in the elimination rounds.

Didn't watch the first too closely, but in the 3rd they looked like they had come together... You're right though, sometimes some of those boys look like they are trying to showcase for their teams, or the upcoming draft.. That said, compared to other years, these guys seem to have more role players, and a better constructed team..

Not surprised he's promoted to that key line. After that goal he scored a coupla' weeks back, (big televised tilt), I just keep expecting big things from this kid.

Torts didn't hang around much; but he sure left us an epic Utube rap, & one Helluva' parting gift.

Thank you so much. I had never heard that rap before. Some funny stuff right there.

• Upvote 1

I see some things with Virtanen that Kassian still struggles with. Hopefully Virtanen figures them out faster. One is leaving his position in the defensive zone. Maybe its the style of play the coach wants, but Virtanen seems to drift from RW to LW. He has a tendency to stay high and move across the blueline to the LW side instead of moving down low on the RW to support his dman.

The other struggle is him figuring out where to be in the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck. He sometimes seems to get himself lost in the high slot (almost at the point) or in no man's land between the front of the net and the half-wall. He just needs a systems coach to tell him where to be.

I see some things with Virtanen that Kassian still struggles with. Hopefully Virtanen figures them out faster. One is leaving his position in the defensive zone. Maybe its the style of play the coach wants, but Virtanen seems to drift from RW to LW. He has a tendency to stay high and move across the blueline to the LW side instead of moving down low on the RW to support his dman.

The other struggle is him figuring out where to be in the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck. He sometimes seems to get himself lost in the high slot (almost at the point) or in no man's land between the front of the net and the half-wall. He just needs a systems coach to tell him where to be.

this great post. I was trying to explain this but you did it for me.